• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick out of Ashes

Laurrz

International Debutant
just heard

Englands batting lineup now has completely no scars of the past... where they had the bad days in Australia... however he was there only experienced batsman and will be a blow nonetheless.... also a good slipsman

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Trescothick out of Ashes.

Breaking news and no details yet. Knowing him he probably feels he's not up to it and it's best to get someone in early who is. Rather sad all this.

Strauss and Cook to open Shah to be called as back-up I'd venture.

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
Big blow for England as Tresco is their best slipsman and when in touch, their best top order bat.
The positive it come out of this is that it solves the conundrum of who out of Cook & Collingwood should play as both will be certainties now.

PY

International Coach
Gutted, pretty shocking timing for it to re-occur from a harsh perspective but obviously hope it clears up as quickly as possible and we can see him in England colours again.

Cook and Strauss then and the Bell/Collingwood debate gets put away for a while. Who at three though is the big question now?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Does anyone know what his health problem is? Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's been suffering from some form of depressive illness.

It's a shame, because when he is fit, he's certainly part of England's best XI and the upcoming series has lost something I feel.

Matt79

Global Moderator
PY said:
Gutted, pretty shocking timing for it to re-occur from a harsh perspective but obviously hope it clears up as quickly as possible and we can see him in England colours again.

Cook and Strauss then and the Bell/Collingwood debate gets put away for a while. Who at three though is the big question now?
Collingwood? I would have thought Pieterson might not be ideal if you lose an opener early, and Bell surely will get some protection by batting at 5 or 6.

It makes a quick recall of Vaughan much more likely I'd have thought.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:

Bell at 3, one would think, with KP 4 and Collingwood 5.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Probably would have been better for Australia if he was in the side, but I'm not too fussed about Paul Collingwood either. I doubt he'll have a particularly successful series.

oz_fan

International Regular
Will definately be a loss for England. It's already been mentioned that he was an experienced batsmen and slipsman. He was out of form but I'm sure England would of been relying on him to play a few good innings during the series. I know that Cook has had an impressive debut in test cricket but it will be a tough task for an inexperienced player to face Australia. It's also going to limit England's backup batting options.

Last edited:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
The official line remains a stress-related illness, but I agree it sounds like a prolonged depression, or as Alan Partridge would have it he's "clinically fed up". Quite how he managed to convince the docs and himself that he'd recovered is a mystery, unless he counts chipping the ball on to a bail is a sign of recurrence

Very sad anyway, I feel for him and wish him the best.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Couldn't he have said it before touring? *sigh*

Oh well. A depressed Tresco wouldn't have been much use at the top of the order anyway. I'm guessing he copped a fair bit from McGrath in the tour match, too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samuel_Vimes said:
Couldn't he have said it before touring? *sigh*

Oh well. A depressed Tresco wouldn't have been much use at the top of the order anyway. I'm guessing he copped a fair bit from McGrath in the tour match, too.
Dunno about that, he wasn't there long enough to cop anything.

This is really sad. I'm no great fan of his or of England in general, but I trust that he is able to recover.

It really puts all the hype about cricket and its so called importance into perspective. I thought his speaking about his problems at the press conference when they landed was one of the more courageous things I've seen from a sportsman in quite some time.

All the best to him and his faily.

PY

International Coach
That's a fair point, maybe he did cop a spray from someone. If he was that on edge though, you'd have to wonder if he was good for the series anyway. :(

Guess it is all conjecture and all can do is hope he gets better soon.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Bloody hell.

I hope he recovers soon. Gotta be clinical depression. Unless it's a fatigue disorder, but you figure he'd be more open about that.

On a more trivial level, this will screw up a few of our Ashes predictions.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Tbh I think you're putting McGrath on a pedestal he can't climb up to, Tres is the coolest and best at handling sledging in our ranks and I seriously doubt anything McGrath could say will have had any effect on this decision.