• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour de France 2010

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Another really good stage there.

Been saying it for a while, but I reckon people are overestimating Contador a bit, making him seem like he's invincible, which I don't think he is, judging by how he rode today. Couldn't answer Andy Schleck on the final climb, looked like he didn't really have the legs.

Reckon Schleck has shown he is the Don really at the moment, had the legs for the finish and managed to gun it to the top without about 4 other team riders like Contador had. Speaking of which, that Daniel Navarro bloke is an absolute don at climbing, just led the group all the way from the bottom of La Palaz, he gets some serious lad points.

Shame about Wiggo losing a minute or two, he'd been climbing really well keeping up with the big-boys, WAG.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Also, Australians..

Where's the love for Cadel Evans and Michael Rogers? Genuinely good cyclists with chances (Evans especially) to finish on the podium. Would have thought the aussies would be right behind them..

Matt79

Global Moderator
Oh I love Evans. Didn't want to come in here and gush too much at this stage, but nice to see him in the yellow. Not sure whether, if he had his choice, he would have wanted it ahead of Tuesday's stage, but screw it, after the couple of years when he came second, it makes a nice change from him being a few seconds behind.

One thing that's been strange to me has been that everytime someone rattles off the contenders, Evans always seems to get left out, even on the SBS commentary down here. People talk about Contador and Schleck, and fair enough, and they were mentioning Armstrong, Basso, and even Menshov. You'd be thinking Schleck is looking most likely at the moment, but hell, Evans is in with a massive shout here you'd suggest. He sometimes lacks the ability to putting in a really stinging attack, but equally he's currently ahead, he's a good time trialist and he's generally bloody hard to get rid of on the climbs. Plus his team seems to be a bit more together than Lotto used to be for him.

All of that said, we're one week into a three week race, with the majority of the Alps and all the Pyrennes ahead, so its a bit early to be getting too excited about anyone. What's happened to Armstrong this year goes to show how precarious the race is for anyone.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Contador still the man to beat, not going to stop thinking that for a good while yet.

social

Also, Australians..

Where's the love for Cadel Evans and Michael Rogers? Genuinely good cyclists with chances (Evans especially) to finish on the podium. Would have thought the aussies would be right behind them..
Hope Cadel does it but dont want to say too much as he has succumbed to pressure on the tour before

However, after winning the world champs he is apparently more relaxed

Good news is that he seems to have a unified team behind him for a change so hopefully he wont be left to fight the world by himself

Have to say that the Tour is really compelling viewing - I can quite happily watch it for a few hours at a stretch just to see the tactics unfold

Johnners

Hope Cadel does it but dont want to say too much as he has succumbed to pressure on the tour before

However, after winning the world champs he is apparently more relaxed

Good news is that he seems to have a unified team behind him for a change so hopefully he wont be left to fight the world by himself

Have to say that the Tour is really compelling viewing - I can quite happily watch it for a few hours at a stretch just to see the tactics unfold
Yeah it speaks volume for the tactical side of the sport that so many people enjoy watching blokes riding a bike...

Bobisback

International Regular
"Rest Day"??? Where's my fix of cycling action tonight, softcocks? :p
This, stuck watching Mythbusters and Man vs Wild :(

I like Cadel's chances this year, his ride yesterday wasnt too much of a concern as he didnt have to attack. He was already leader on the road, he was free to follow and try to conserve as much as possible. Worst case scenario was Schleck would get a couple of second lead which could have been better for Cadel anyway, taking pressure of him and his team in the next couple of weeks.

Do I think he will win it all? Nope. Cant go past Schleck, though, have a little man crush on Ryder Hesjedal, only because he is a bike rider and his name is Ryder. Would love to see him get in another breakaway in the next couple of days and really try to get close to the yellow.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, I don't think Evans has a serious chance at winning or coming second, purely because he can't match Contador and Schleck on the hills. Reckon he'll hit 3rd though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jeez, I do agree that they're stronger favourites than Evans, but he's not bad on the hills. He has been smashed on a couple of stages, once by Rasmussen who was on the gear at the time, and again by Contador, but I don't think it's a shut case that with a decent effort from his team to help him, rather than always being one out dealing with Contador and team, or the Schleck's tag teaming him, that he can't stay with them. He probably can't lose them though, so he'll need to get his lead elsewhere, which is why they are bigger chances.

Bobisback

International Regular
Jeez, I do agree that they're stronger favourites than Evans, but he's not bad on the hills. He has been smashed on a couple of stages, once by Rasmussen who was on the gear at the time, and again by Contador, but I don't think it's a shut case that with a decent effort from his team to help him, rather than always being one out dealing with Contador and team, or the Schleck's tag teaming him, that he can't stay with them. He probably can't lose them though, so he'll need to get his lead elsewhere, which is why they are bigger chances.
Yeah, Ive never seen Cadel attack on a hill, only follow. Have watched pretty much every stage of the last 4 tours, not saying he hasnt attacked, just cant remember it. He has to win it by following Schleck and Contador, and not losing too much time, then smashing them on the final time trial. Though last year, Contador killed it in the last time trial, so that plan isnt looking too hot.

If Frank Schleck was still there, I would guarantee one of the Schlecks would win, still pretty confident Andy is a good thing.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Thoroughly intriguing viewing so far, particularly the tactics Astana have used at every seeming opportunity to put the hammer down and make people hurt. I don't see the winner coming from anywhere beyond the group that followed Schleck to the summit, and honestly I'd be stunned if it were anyone other than Andy, Cadel or Alberto.

Quite pleased with the make up of my squad - however I've got the order all wrong with Evans, Menchov and Kreuziger the bottom three, and Gesink a reserve... whilst Armstrong is 5 and Wiggins 8. You could say that's the Ender my chances...

Matteh

The best Aussie cyclist is clearly Simon Gerrans.

Rode all but 7km of yesterday's apine stage with a broken arm. WAG.

Craig

World Traveller
The best Aussie cyclist is clearly Simon Gerrans.

Rode all but 7km of yesterday's apine stage with a broken arm. WAG.
And Robbie McEwen has raced with a cracked vertebrae :p

I'm going to tip Luis Leon Sanchez for the win tonight.

Bobisback

International Regular
Thor Hushovd to go into the breakaway, imo.

EDIT: Maybe Hesjedal too, not sure if Cadel will chase him down though.

Craig

World Traveller
Thor Hushovd to go into the breakaway, imo.

EDIT: Maybe Hesjedal too, not sure if Cadel will chase him down though.
The break so far.

Jerome Pineau (QuickStep), Thos Hushovd (Cevelo), Jens Voigt (Saxo Bank), Cyril Gautier (Bbox), Luis Leon Sanchez (Caisse d'Epargne) , Jose Ivan Gutierrez (Caisse d'Epargne), Christophe Moreau (Caisse d'Epargne)

Called it, and so far with LLS.