• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Five Cricketers from each country

Slifer

International Captain
Damn shame that no one from the current wi team will get anywhere close to our top 5 or even top 20. Smh

Top 5 FWIW

Sobers
Worrell
Headley
Marshall
Richards

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Holder could crack top 20. Surely he's odds on to end up your second best AR after Sobers, unless we elevate Constantine far above his test output

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I do not see Smith surpassing Border, Trumper, Gilchrist or McGrath but he may well end up ahead of Ponting, Chappell and Harvey.
Seems completely arbitrary to put Border into a category that doesn't include Ponting, Chappell and Harvey. No real reason to consider Border better than those others mentioned.

mr_mister

why is Steve Waugh being forgotten from this discussion. I'd certainly hold him up higher than Neil Harvey

smash84

The Tiger King
Seems completely arbitrary to put Border into a category that doesn't include Ponting, Chappell and Harvey. No real reason to consider Border better than those others mentioned.
So true, Border would barely be considered in the top 10 Aussies, let alone top 5

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
why is Steve Waugh being forgotten from this discussion. I'd certainly hold him up higher than Neil Harvey
Steve Waugh was merely a reasonable imitation of TOTAB. He understandably just wanted to be TOTAB. He couldn't do it, of course, because no one could. But he went close.

Burgey

It's really simple.

When CA sat down with players, administrators, coaches and fans to work out what to call the annual award for the game's best and fairest player, there was only one name worthy - Allan Border. Why?

Because as great as the likes of Bradman, Trumper, Lillee, Chappell, Marsh, Benaud, Miller, (and later) Waugh, McGrath, Ponting and Warne were; none of them singlehandedly grabbed a **** house side of nobodies and transformed them through sheer force of will into a team of wrecking machines like Border did. That's why he's the pre-eminent post-war cricketer. Look how these other blokes who had a bit of a burden carrying a side couldn't put up with captaincy and had to give it away, rather than seeing it through like Border did.

Anyone who doesn't place him in the top five Australian cricketers of all time is pulling their pud.

mr_mister

Was Border's lot really as ********* as we often think?

Wood, Jones, Boon, Waugh, Hughes, McDermott, Hogg, Alderman

It wasn't as hard a task some other famous one man team captains had right?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's really simple.

When CA sat down with players, administrators, coaches and fans to work out what to call the annual award for the game's best and fairest player, there was only one name worthy - Allan Border. Why?

Because as great as the likes of Bradman, Trumper, Lillee, Chappell, Marsh, Benaud, Miller, (and later) Waugh, McGrath, Ponting and Warne were; none of them singlehandedly grabbed a **** house side of nobodies and transformed them through sheer force of will into a team of wrecking machines like Border did. That's why he's the pre-eminent post-war cricketer. Look how these other blokes who had a bit of a burden carrying a side couldn't put up with captaincy and had to give it away, rather than seeing it through like Border did.

Anyone who doesn't place him in the top five Australian cricketers of all time is pulling their pud.
Bob Simpson has as much claim to being the man who turned that era around imo, but fwiw I love AB

Burgey

Wood - averaged about 28 after a zillion tests.
Jones - always over rated, and only scored runs in dead rubbers or against the Poms. Don't believe me? Check his record.
Boon - was terrible and inconsistent til 89.
Hughes - a joke til 89.
McDermott - couldn't even make the squad in 89, he was doing that poorly around then.
Hogg - was gone by 1984
Alderman - went to SA and didn't play til 89. Only good in England and Perth anyway.
Waugh - came good in 88/89 after being persisted with for nearly four years for nothing.

These players were rubbish in that period. Of those you've listed, Waugh became an ATG; Boonie, Hughes and McDermott ATVG. But they were mostly **** up til 89 at the earliest. He made them the players they became.

You have to remember, this was the absolute nadir of Australian cricket, adnt he blokes you've named couldn't hold down a spot consistently during that era. It says something about how they were going.

mr_mister

Surprised Wood averaged so low. 9 hundreds is a decent return for such a mediocre average. Not many blokes would get the chance to make 9 averaging sub 35

Edit - I was mixing up his average with Graeme yallop when initially mentioning him

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Top 5 Windies

Sobers
Richards
Marshall
Lara
Worrell

Top 5 Pakistanis

Imran
Akram
Miandad
Hanif
Waqar

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
ESPN 25 legends

Aus players rated above Border.

Bradman
Warne
Lillee
Miller
Chappell
Waugh

And they made the list without considering 00s Cricketers Gilly , McGrath , Ponting..

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Bradman , Lillee , Warne ( Trumper and O' Reilly to an extent ) belong to the most iconic cricketers ever list. Along with WG , Ranji , Hobbs , Sobers , Richards and Sachin.
Border - a definitive top 5 player or Icon ? I don't think so.

Burgey

I really don't give a continental what you think. I think it's plainly idiotic to put Tendulkar in the same class as WG, Ranji, Sobers, Richards or Border. The bloke did not transform, lead or innovate at any level for India or the game. To compare a twice failed skipper who refused to move a spot in the batting order and who played on two years too long for the sake of a personal milestone to the other blokes you mentioned is an absolute travesty. Tendulkar just went out and batted for himself for 20 plus years. He did it very well, but let's be honest, if he hadn't been born the game would be precisely the same as it is now. You can't say that for those other fellas.