• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current) - Updated

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Chanderpaul getting a nosebleed there, especially compared to Hayden/ Sehwag/ Smith. Openers are dramatically undervalued by this ranking mechanism.
Interesting observation. But the funny thing is last time some people were already complaining about factoring in RPI as they felt it would be unfair for the middle order batsmen. And the only way you can move the openers up is by further increasing the weightage of RPI.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting observation. But the funny thing is last time some people were already complaining about factoring in RPI as they felt it would be unfair for the middle order batsmen. And the only way you can move the openers up is by further increasing the weightage of RPI.
Giving openers a boost is a perfectly valid idea, especially ones like Smith and Cook that played half their games in countries where it's generally a tougher job. But RPI is not the way to do it. Factoring in RPI in any way just makes the results worse and less accurate. Just using Average is simply better.

Best way to do it would be just to simply apply an "opener bonus", like 2.5-5% for any player that opened in more than a certain % of their innings. I'm not saying it should be done, but giving openers a bonus in whatever way is a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Giving openers a boost is a perfectly valid idea, especially ones like Smith and Cook that played half their games in countries where it's generally a tougher job. But RPI is not the way to do it. Factoring in RPI in any way just makes the results worse and less accurate. Just using Average is simply better.

Best way to do it would be just to simply apply an "opener bonus", like 2.5-5% for any player that opened in more than a certain % of their innings. I'm not saying it should be done, but giving openers a bonus in whatever way is a perfectly reasonable suggestion.
That is a ridiculous post and horrific logic.
:)

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Oh well I'd be very happy to be called out and corrected if I said something as absurd as you said earlier, so don't hold back if it does arise
No, because I have learnt better manners for disagreeing with someone. And I am also not so narrow minded to not know that what might appear absurd to one may be meaningful to another.

TheJediBrah

No, because I have learnt better manners for disagreeing with someone. And I am also not so narrow minded to not know that what might appear absurd to one may be meaningful to another.
Call a spade a spade. If you hadn't classified your erroneous assertions as "this is simple logic" I might have been less blunt.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Call a spade a spade. If you hadn't classified your erroneous assertions as "this is simple logic" I might have been less blunt.
Let it be erroneous. That still doesn't change anything.

Based on your behaviour in the last countdown thread and this thread I don't think you have any respect or interest for what I am doing here. There is something about RPI that really seems to get to you. So do us both a favour. Stay off this thread and all my future threads so you don't have to waste your time telling me how ridiculous and absurd my posts are. I can't stop you, so it's upto you now.

TheJediBrah

Let it be erroneous. That still doesn't change anything.

Based on your behaviour in the last countdown thread and this thread I don't think you have any respect or interest for what I am doing here. There is something about RPI that really seems to get to you. So do us both a favour. Stay off this thread and all my future threads so you don't have to waste your time telling me how ridiculous and absurd my posts are. I can't stop you, so it's upto you now.
You're acting like a child. If you put a methodology up for everyone to see then it is going to get critiqued. Pretty sure you even welcomed input. If you couldn't handle that you shouldn't have done it.

TheJediBrah

Ok Trundler

Anyway you're doing a good job, this is great. Sorry if I offended you. I am very passionate about RPI

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
No. 4

Jacques Kallis - 144.6

kallis.jpg

Peak: 2004-07
Longevity bonus: 3.5

Overall points: 143.2
Overseas points: 138.2
Best bowling attack points: 134.3
Peak points: 172

Runs: 13289
Average: 55.37

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since 1980 openers have averaged 35.67. Batsmen batting from 3-6 have averaged 38.97, which seems to advantage the middle order by around 9%.

This suggests that openers averaging 50 are of a similar level of skill to middle order batsmen averaging 54.5.

stephen

Top 3 must be Smith, Lara and Tendulkar. Probably in that order since Tendulkar gets the longevity bonus and Smith will probably get penalised.

TheJediBrah

Since 1980 openers have averaged 35.67. Batsmen batting from 3-6 have averaged 38.97, which seems to advantage the middle order by around 9%.

This suggests that openers averaging 50 are of a similar level of skill to middle order batsmen averaging 54.5.
Not necessarily. This doesn't really prove anything, it could easily be just because the best batsmen bat 3 or 4 more than open.

stephen

Not necessarily. This doesn't really prove anything, it could easily be just because the best batsmen bat 3 or 4 more than open.
You're right, but then one must ask why they bat there. They bat there because batting there is easier.

The average for 3-4 batsmen in the same time period is 40.79, which is 14% higher than openers.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Some people might question Kallis's spot at no.4 and for all the criticism he gets over scoring slow, Kallis had a stretch of 12000 at an average of 61.33 from 1999-12 with an overseas average of 57.37. This alone, at least according to this methodology, makes him the no.1 batsman of 2000s.