• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Cozier slams Lara

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Oh right, by Denness. You know, the guy that ****ed off so many people, that SA and India played an unofficial test by bilaterally deciding to remove him?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/in_depth/2001/india_in_south_africa/1672971.stm
exactly...that ******* was so horrendously biased in that match....i've watched those replays ad nauseum...he was clearly just cleaning the seam and not picking it....they showed comparisons of waqar and some other bowlers actually picking the seam and tampering with the ball and the difference was crystal-clear to any unbiased person....however touching the seam itself is against the rules or something(i think) and there he was in contravention of the rules...for that kind of offence, he should've been warned and that should have been it, instead the denness creep went overboard and labelled him a tamperer and handed him a fine and a suspended ban....

C_C

International Captain
Exonerated by whom, YOU ?
By ICC later on.

You can say it a million times and it wont change the truth that Tendulkar's conduct and behavior isn't as exemplary as some of his fanatics keep harping about. I have watched Tendulkar mouthing off obscene words, showing dissent, questioning the pitches, questioning the selectors, staying mum when he should have spoken, unethically trying to evade import duty on his Ferrari, making a hue and cry over missing out a double ton, favoring pathetic mumbai players and what not.
You can take your aggro somewhere else- i am in no mood for it.
Firstly, his ferrari- he requested an excemption from taxes, as is the RIGHT for any citizen and he got it.
Secondly, Tendulkar mouthing obscene words- it speaks for itself that you can find only ONE incident in his 17 year career.
And Tendulkar has never-EVER shown dissent on the pitch. The closest he's come was the 'shoulder before wicket' farcial decision from Bucknor and even then he just looked startled before walking off.
His questioning of the selectors were nowhere near as crude and confrontational as Lara's for example. And Lastly, he did NOT make a hue and cry about missing his double ton- he was asked how he felt about it and he said he was disappointed and thats that.
As for favouring Mumbai players- he himself was against the picking of Noel David and the only Mumbai pick he backed was Kuruvilla i think.Not that it is that outrageous- Mumbai have been the Ranji champions through most of the 90s and their players could easily make a fair case over almost any newcommer to the side.
All things considered, it is a FACT that Tendulkar is one of the best behaved people onfield, if not THE best behaved from a career standpoint.
Whereas Lara is nowhere near that classy on or off the field.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Firstly, his ferrari- he requested an excemption from taxes, as is the RIGHT for any citizen and he got it.
Get your FACTS right before your blabber. First of all It was the Import duty of about 1.5 Crore and secondly he didn't get the exemption and ultimately Fiat which gifted him the car paid for him. It was indeed a nice trick by Ferrari to present the car to him in Europe so that they could avoid taxes and Tendulkar could claim get the exemption by passing this car as an award, which he did by sending a letter to the government and comparing this corporate gift with Ravi Shastri's Car he won for his performance in Australia.

I also heard that some NGOs' set up a begging unit especially for him and later on sent out the collection to Mr. Sachin Tendulkar. Very Gracious Indeed.

C_C

International Captain
Sanz said:
Get your FACTS right before your blabber. First of all It was the Import duty of about 1.5 Crore and secondly he didn't get the exemption and ultimately Fiat which gifted him the car paid for him. It was indeed a nice trick by Ferrari to present the car to him in Europe so that they could avoid taxes and Tendulkar could claim get the exemption by passing this car as an award, which he did by sending a letter to the government and comparing this corporate gift with Ravi Shastri's Car he won for his performance in Australia.

I also heard that some NGOs' set up a begging unit especially for him and later on sent out the collection to Mr. Sachin Tendulkar. Very Gracious Indeed.

Firstly, i'd suggest you get your facts right before you get your panties in a twist.
Tendulkar applied for an exemption and got it. The hue and cry in the media resulted in the government overturning the exemption and Ferrari paying for it.
There aint nothing wrong with that- as a citizen you are entitled to request the government for tax exemptions- its upto the government to grant it or not.
And there is nothing ungracious about it either.
I suggest you look up the definition of the term graciousness, which has nothing to do with requesting tax exemptions.
Now lay off the personal attacks- i havnt attacked you personally and you dont want me to either. So, in short, behave.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Secondly, Tendulkar mouthing obscene words- it speaks for itself that you can find only ONE incident in his 17 year career.
Once again get your facts right, Read HB's comments about another instance where he noticed Sachin was constantly mouthing off obscene words. That makes it at least twice, and it shows that he definatly is capable of mouthing off.

And Tendulkar has never-EVER shown dissent on the pitch.
I would suggest you watching the Peshawar ODI against Pakistan.

His questioning of the selectors were nowhere near as crude and confrontational as Lara's for example.
Whether it was crude or confrontational or not doesn't really matter, it is a well known fact that as long as he was captain he made displeasure over a lot of things and may not have said it publicly to any reporter but he has said that in private. Did you know that Tendulkar had opposed to appointment of Anshuman Gaekwad as the Coach of India and wanted Madan Lal to continue as the coach.

And Lastly, he did NOT make a hue and cry about missing his double ton- he was asked how he felt about it and he said he was disappointed and thats that.
Yeah Right , Saying "I was dissapointed" is not over-reation. It was just enough for his fanatics to create a ruckus all over.

As for favouring Mumbai players- he himself was against the picking of Noel David and the only Mumbai pick he backed was Kuruvilla i think.Not that it is that outrageous- Mumbai have been the Ranji champions through most of the 90s and their players could easily make a fair case over almost any newcommer to the side.
GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT !!! Noel David didn't play for Mumbai, Mumbai didn't win Ranji for most of 90s(they only won 3) . How about nilesh Kulkarni, Sairaj Bahutule and the guy that came with him as dowry Ajit Agarkar.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Firstly, i'd suggest you get your facts right before you get your panties in a twist.
Tendulkar applied for an exemption and got it. The hue and cry in the media resulted in the government overturning the exemption and Ferrari paying for it.
There aint nothing wrong with that- as a citizen you are entitled to request the government for tax exemptions- its upto the government to grant it or not.
And there is nothing ungracious about it either.
I suggest you look up the definition of the term graciousness, which has nothing to do with requesting tax exemptions.
Now lay off the personal attacks- i havnt attacked you personally and you dont want me to either. So, in short, behave.
Bottom line is - In the end He didn't get the Exemption. Yes it is the right of every Indian to request for an exemption but then it is also their duty to be truthful. Sachin was not when he tried to pass a corporate gift as an award by comparing it Shastri's Audi.

Before suggesting me for looking up the definition of Gracious, I would suggest you to go buy the dictionary and look up the meaning of every word you use on this forum.

C_C

International Captain
Sanz said:
Bottom line is - In the end He didn't get the Exemption. Yes it is the right of every Indian to request for an exemption but then it is also their duty to be truthful. Sachin was not when he tried to pass a corporate gift as an award by comparing it Shastri's Audi.

Before suggesting me for looking up the definition of Gracious, I would suggest you to go buy the dictionary and look up the meaning of every word you use on this forum.

As i said, graciousness (or the lack of it) has nothing to do with tax exemptions or asking for one. If you bother checking the dictionary, you'd find that is true.
And the bottomline is he did get the exemption- the govt. were fine with it till the media started their handwringing and then Ferrari paid the dues. And there aint no untruthfulness in comparing Shastri's Audi with his Ferarri- an award won outside of MoM/MoS setup is no different than a company gifting you stuff.

C_C

International Captain
Once again get your facts right, Read HB's comments about another instance where he noticed Sachin was constantly mouthing off obscene words. That makes it at least twice, and it shows that he definatly is capable of mouthing off.
Err. You certainly are given to hyperboles or misrepresentations.
He definately wasnt mouthing off obscene words and as such, may've said the odd word here and there- aint nothing like Lara openly instigating a fight though.

I would suggest you watching the Peshawar ODI against Pakistan.
You mean 'shook his head and walked off looking skywards' ?!?
You certainly got a penchant for cooking stuff up.

Whether it was crude or confrontational or not doesn't really matter, it is a well known fact that as long as he was captain he made displeasure over a lot of things and may not have said it publicly to any reporter but he has said that in private. Did you know that Tendulkar had opposed to appointment of Anshuman Gaekwad as the Coach of India and wanted Madan Lal to continue as the coach.
Ofcourse crude or confrontational matters- pay attention!
Tony Cozier's article is about conduct. C-O-N-D-U-C-T. As such, it makes helluva lotta difference if you are gonna state the same thing graciously or like a lil git.

Yeah Right , Saying "I was dissapointed" is not over-reation. It was just enough for his fanatics to create a ruckus all over.
Certainly not. "I was dissappointed" is a statement- not an overreaction. Didnt indulge into hyperboles, didnt blame anybody, didnt give excuses, etc etc.

How about nilesh Kulkarni, Sairaj Bahutule and the guy that came with him as dowry Ajit Agarkar.
Bahutule had many supporters- not the least amongst whom was Kapil Dev at that time and many felt that he deserved a shot. As i said- Mumbai were the dominant team of the 90s. That their players could make a sufficient case is pretty well established in the context of the 90s.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
As i said, graciousness (or the lack of it) has nothing to do with tax exemptions or asking for one. If you bother checking the dictionary, you'd find that is true.
And the bottomline is he did get the exemption- the govt. were fine with it till the media started their handwringing and then Ferrari paid the dues. And there aint no untruthfulness in comparing Shastri's Audi with his Ferarri- an award won outside of MoM/MoS setup is no different than a company gifting you stuff.
No matter how you say it, the duty was paid and hence not exempted and trying to pass your corporate gift as an award is indeed lack of class that you have been talking about.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Err. You certainly are given to hyperboles or misrepresentations.
He definately wasnt mouthing off obscene words and as such, may've said the odd word here and there- aint nothing like Lara openly instigating a fight though.
Lara instigating a fight ? Boy you do make up stuff, dont you ? And read HB's post once again.

You mean 'shook his head and walked off looking skywards' ?!?
You certainly got a penchant for cooking stuff up.
Yeah, that's dissent in ICC's book. People get fined/reprimanded for it.

Ofcourse crude or confrontational matters- pay attention! Tony Cozier's article is about conduct. C-O-N-D-U-C-T. As such, it makes helluva lotta difference if you are gonna state the same thing graciously or like a lil git.
Who says he was gracious about it ? Instead of saying this on record to media, he said it off the record.

Certainly not. "I was dissappointed" is a statement- not an overreaction. Didnt indulge into hyperboles, didnt blame anybody, didnt give excuses, etc etc.
Read his post-day interview - Tendulkar said he was disappointed at not being able to achieve the milestone after coming so close. He went further "I was aware that the declaration was on the cards, but I was taken by surprise at the timing."I thought maybe another two-three overs more would have been enough,"

Obviously it is not over-reation, he didn't indulge in hyperboles etc etc.

Bahutule had many supporters- not the least amongst whom was Kapil Dev at that time and many felt that he deserved a shot. As i said- Mumbai were the dominant team of the 90s. That their players could make a sufficient case is pretty well established in the context of the 90s.
KapilDev ? Was he even there around Indian team to make a recommendation for Bahutule. Bahutule first came to play under Sachin in 1997. And Please explain why was Hrishikesh Kanitkar picked to play ? Did he also play for Mumbai ? What about dighe, who was studying in US. I am sure you have an excuse for each and every one of those. It's not a surprise that due to Sachin some marathi players got the India cap for free Kuruvilla, Hrishikesh Kanitkar, Nilesh Kulkarni, Bahutule, Sameer dighe.

Anyways, I think I have said enough on this, you can have the last word.

R_D

International Debutant
I think Sanz you are doing exactly what you accuse the sachin worshippers of doing.
You're right Sachin hasn't exactly been the angel some of these people compliment him to be but imho he's been one of the best rolemodels and much better behaved than Lara. Don't know why we even comparing both but anyway.

As for you're comments about Sachin backing Mumbai players i think its natural, if you play for a team and so you know players from them well so you're naturally goin to put your faith in them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
You changed your icon. I am so confused that I can't pay attention to your posts anymore. If you were going to change your icon, I am deeply offended that you did not choose our Lord and Savior Ajit Agarkar. So I have to change my icon in protest.
LOL - you've just gone up in my estimation...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Because i am not going to do your homework for you. I told you where to find it, now go find it if you want to.
No, instead you will make wild claims about someone and then refuse to provide any proof for them.

Again.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
R_D said:
I think Sanz you are doing exactly what you accuse the sachin worshippers of doing.
You're right Sachin hasn't exactly been the angel some of these people compliment him to be but imho he's been one of the best rolemodels and much better behaved than Lara. Don't know why we even comparing both but anyway.
What am I doing ? Maybe he is a rolemodel for you but what makes you and his other fanatics think that Lara isn't a better role model. I personally dont see much difference between the two but somehow Tendulkar fanatics wont let me believe that.

And I have no problem with Sachin fanatics accepting him as their rolemodel, but anytime someone praises Lara about anything, they jump out of their pants to declare that Sachin is better. If Sachin fanatics have their way, they wont let anyone have Lara as his/her rolemodel.

As for you're comments about Sachin backing Mumbai players i think its natural, if you play for a team and so you know players from them well so you're naturally goin to put your faith in them.
That's ridiculous way of thinking. Good that he was sacked as captain and probably main reason why he didn't succeed.

adharcric

International Coach
Well Sanz, Sachin is no angel and neither is Lara. From what I've seen in the last few months from Lara, his conduct and attitude is rather poor. I don't know the full history of Tendulkar so I won't comment on that, but I wouldn't say he's a model par excellence of cricketing conduct. Better than Lara? IMO yes. From the recent past, DEFINITELY yes. No reason to compare the two in this regard as neither are close to being the best or the worst conduct-wise. Talk about Rahul Dravid if you want ... that's class for you, that's good conduct for you.

As for that attitude on regional bias, that approach isn't as ridiculous as you think. Think about it: if you've played for a team and know the players from your region better, you would recommend them for selection wouldn't you? When you don't know about the rest, you assume what you think is the best is the best. Now, I'm not referring to Sachin's situation specifically because I'm not so sure about the quality of those players that you claim he unfairly "backed". I brought this same thing up when Uthappa (from Dravid's home state) was picked over Dhawan for the one-day side. The problem arises when the selector/captain/coach has seen ALL of the viable options and still consistently favors his regional folks ... then you've got issues.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Sanz said:
No matter how you say it, the duty was paid and hence not exempted and trying to pass your corporate gift as an award is indeed lack of class that you have been talking about.

And nomatter how ignorant you want to be about it, the FACT remains- Tendulkar was exempted from the tax, which the government never reconsidered but Ferrari paid the tariff to avert controversy.

Lara instigating a fight ? Boy you do make up stuff, dont you ? And read HB's post once again.
He instigated the fight with McGrath by bumping into him and then chasing him around to have his word.
I saw the match live, so i dont need no revisionist crap to tell me otherwise.

Yeah, that's dissent in ICC's book. People get fined/reprimanded for it.
Nobody has EVER been fined for looking skywards and shaking his head. Looking at the ump and shaking your head- another story.
Perhaps subtleties escape you ?

Read his post-day interview - Tendulkar said he was disappointed at not being able to achieve the milestone after coming so close. He went further "I was aware that the declaration was on the cards, but I was taken by surprise at the timing."I thought maybe another two-three overs more would have been enough,"

Obviously it is not over-reation, he didn't indulge in hyperboles etc etc.
I suggest you look up the definition of overreaction and hyperbole. He was asked pointedly and he said he was disappointed because he thought the declaration would've been a few overs later.
nothing ungracious about it but then again, someone like you has no avertion to cooking ***** up just to look for a scrap.

And Please explain why was Hrishikesh Kanitkar picked to play
Stellar domestic record.

as i said, Tendulkar maynot be an angel but he is a posterchild on how to behave on and off the field.

**EDITED BY JAMES**

James

Cricket Web Owner
C_C - don't make comments about an individual without backing them up with facts, and even then it's not the sort of thing that should be discussed. You put Cricket Web and myself under threat in making baseless comments like that.

I have edited your post.