• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Three horse race to be the best team in the world?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Certainly...At least a three horse race.

I would add Sri lanka to the list of possible contender as well. They have some very exciting spin bowling prospects in Mendis, Randiv and Herath. They have a talented all-rounder in Angelo Mathews. Their fast bowling battery and batting unit lead by Malinga and Sangakkara respectively is also quite formidable. They have a team as good as anyones at this moment.
What, the Malinga with fitness issues that mean he's managed a whole 2 Tests in the last 3 years?

Eds

International Debutant
My South Englia XI:

Andrew Strauss*
Virender Sehwag
Hashim Amla
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
AB De Villiers
MS Dhoni+
Graeme Swann
Zaheer Khan
Dale Steyn
James Anderson

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My South Englia XI:

Andrew Strauss*
Virender Sehwag
Hashim Amla
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
AB De Villiers
MS Dhoni+
Graeme Swann
Zaheer Khan
Dale Steyn
James Anderson
Smith
Sehwag
Kallis
Tendulkar
Laxman
De Villiers
Prior
Swann
Anderson
Zaheer
Steyn

IMO.

Gotta play Laxman and Smith.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just quietly, I saw a bit of the old Harby in SA. Watch out Swanneh.

He's had the best single series I've ever witnessed from a spinner (not return wise, but pure bowling-where-it-needs-to-be wise).

Eds

International Debutant
Gotta play Laxman and Smith.
You don't gotta play Laxman, when Amla's available. Granted, he'd be a reasonable pick but Amla is as well.

And I'd never pick Smith, tbh. At least 6th in my pecking order.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Just quietly, I saw a bit of the old Harby in SA. Watch out Swanneh.

He's had the best single series I've ever witnessed from a spinner (not return wise, but pure bowling-where-it-needs-to-be wise).
Better than Harby '01 vs Oz and Warne '05 vs Eng, SS?

Teja.

Global Moderator
The part I quoted was about this one though. He specifically mentions SA in it. :p
It was a sub-conscious assumption that you quoted the entire post because the difference between size of the quoted part and the post in itself is not noticeable without reading, if that makes things clearer. :p

shankar

International Debutant
Yeah, AWTA. I actually called it after the first Test even though he returned **** figures; was clearly bowling quite well early on.
I thought he had started bowling better from the NZ series itself. His seam position was looking very good from the first match of that series. But I was surprised that he didn't do that well in the third match which was the only one played on a reasonably spin friendly wicket.

Jacknife

International Captain
Based on what exactly ? Swann has only ever had real success
against Pakistan, West Indies and Bangladesh. He's never really troubled Australia that much.

In South Africa, Swann took 21 at 31 last year. Harbhajan just took 15 at 29 so I don't see how Swann is vastly superior on that basis.
Going on how Swanny has bowled the last couple of years and how Bhaji has bowled you'd have to say Swann has been the better bowler and to say Swann never really troubled Australia is being a bit dishonest, since he bowled England to victory in one test and lets be honest when your seamers are that on top, his role changes to suit the conditions and situation which he did very well. As well as in the Ashes in 2009 where he helped to bowl England to victory in 2 of the tests. It's also funny that you don't count his 21 wickets in SA, a success.
Bhaji, by his own standards, has been disappointing for some time, up until the SA series where he bowled very well. I don't know many people, that would say he's vastly superior to Bhaji, but just on their performances over that last couple of years, Swann has bowled a lot better, that's not saying Bhaji can't come back and make it close between the 2 of them.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite interesting that nobody is picking Trott.
I gave it a long hard thought.. it's extremely close between him and Amla. Ended picking up the latter because he's been ridiculously gun against us and proven in subcontinent conditions, whereas Trott hasn't had the opportunity yet.