• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

There's a storm coming - Another match fixing scandal about to hit cricket

Spark

Global Moderator
So I'm basically stealing this off something I read on reddit - but this whole thing is a credibility test for Al Jazeera in a way. They want to unveil this match fixing ring, they need to have conclusive evidence, and they obviously can't share that evidence publicly but they must share it all with the authorities.

So even tho everything doesn't seem convincing right now, it's not what they're showing us, but what they are sitting on that matters. And hopefully in due course that all comes out.

I don't buy actual match fixers speaking so brazenly about what they do though. Why would you actually spill the beans on how your entire industry operates.
Why does that Nigerian prince keep sending emails begging for money

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Who was the person on camera? Was he not the curator or someone related to Board?
Genuine question - because I just watched the video once and was in a hurry
The video made him out to be an assistant to the main curator, but since then the actual curator at Galle has come out and stated that he has more of an administrative role, and that he would not be able to influence the state of the pitch without the full consent of the curator.

Likely to be more of a case of insider trading if you ask me based on current evidence, we shall see

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The video made him out to be an assistant to the main curator, but since then the actual curator at Galle has come out and stated that he has more of an administrative role, and that he would not be able to influence the state of the pitch without the full consent of the curator.
In theory, that guy just needs to be able to influence one of the people working on the pitch. Doesn't seem completely beyond the realms of possibility that he might be able to do that.

Most of it does seem to b hot air though. There was one portion of the documentary that really bugged me. The part where they talked about two Australian players who were in the bookie's pockets was overlayed with foggy footage of what seemed to be Glenn Maxwell (I think?). It seemed to me they were using that as merely filler footage for dramatic effect and not actually hinting at who it was (which they're not going to do). Pretty **** thing to do.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
In theory, that guy just needs to be able to influence one of the people working on the pitch. Doesn't seem completely beyond the realms of possibility that he might be able to do that.
Apparently he only really directs groundsmen when they are putting covers up or stuff like that.

Sure he might possibly be able to sneakily botch a pitch, but I find it very difficult to believe he would be able to influence the situation to a point where he can turn Galle from a dustbowl into a road under everyone's nose. The way he spoke in the video, he really seemed to make it out like he was pulling the strings from a position of power.

cnerd123

likes this
Why does that Nigerian prince keep sending emails begging for money
That's basically my point

They didn't even ask the real hard questions - how do you ensure you have two batsmen batting together in a 'session' to ensure X number of runs, and how do you ensure the fielding side captain and bowlers in that session are in on it too? Because it's impossible to control the outcome unless everyone is on the act - what if one of the two batsmen starts smacking it around, or what if the bowlers spray it around or start bowling really well and take a wicket, or the fielding side captain sets a field to give singles and it becomes ridiculous when the batsmen turn down obvious runs...and I'm sure there are so many other scenarios where this can fall apart unless you have everyone on board.

And then you assume that pair of batsmen will actually get to bat at all

Its just not feasible based on what they presented here on the documentary. Maybe they did find out the nitty gritty details and have slipped it to the authorities, but otherwise it just sounds like some fake bookies making some lucky bets on educated guesses of how the game is going and claiming they are match fixing masterminds.

Even the bit with betting on how low or high scoring the game is - how the **** does those odds come out before the public pitch inspection on the TV broadcast?? Like I'm not making odds until I see the pitch, do big betting agencies actually make odds far ahead of time enough to let pitch fixing actually be profitable?

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Michael Vaughan was on the radio And said the names are out there, that’s actually why I logged on here this morning :laugh:
Yeah, the ICC have the names I think but obviously that’s not public information, nor will it be unless the investigation confirms the accusations. I would have thought the players concerned were there any heavy suspicion be suspended until a verdict was reached. That said, there are 4 players who played in that match that aren’t in the squad anymore iirc.

Burgey

Apparently he only really directs groundsmen when they are putting covers up or stuff like that.

Sure he might possibly be able to sneakily botch a pitch, but I find it very difficult to believe he would be able to influence the situation to a point where he can turn Galle from a dustbowl into a road under everyone's nose. The way he spoke in the video, he really seemed to make it out like he was pulling the strings from a position of power.
Most chilled job in the world. Spot a bit of rain and tell other blokes to whack the covers on. Would be a good gig.

Burgey

Actually, it sort of sounds like the grounds keeping equivalent of my own job.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt he'd get paid much for it. Probably why he'd resort to selling information and services to bookies
I dont know how much poverty is a factor for people doing wrong things but I dont like the generalization without substance regarding this matter. Similarly a player just because he earns so much money from ipl leagues should not be excluded from any suspicious activities.

cnerd123

likes this
I dont know how much poverty is a factor for people doing wrong things but I dont like the generalization without substance regarding this matter. Similarly a player just because he earns so much money from ipl leagues should not be excluded from any suspicious activities.
Yea I feel people assume others are less morale than themselves. Like if you ask TJB to imagine himself as a low earning groundsman and ask him if he would match fix for money, he would probably say no, he values the game too much. Well if you won't do it in that situation, why assume that someone else would?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yeah - Adam Gilchrist made a point in Australian media this week about this. Much was made of the fact that England and Australian cricketers are millionaires, and that the Sri Lankan groundsman was allegedly offered 7 times his salary, to which Gilchrist replied that the money players are earning now is not the issue for the players if the Bookies have already got their hooks into them. That is to say, players don't start out as millionaires, and once someone has gotten involved, the run the risk of being blackmailed or exposed for later non-compliance. Not to mention cricketers play a lot of games these days so any if occurring payments will quickly add up.

If the allegations towards the English and Australian players are proven to false and not credible - then this D Company person has found a betting flaw so good, that he is prepared to sell it as spot fixing. Or he is a conman that happened to be right twice in a row.

I've often thought Southee when batting in tests is typically a good time to bet on more than 3 runs in the next over which the bookies seem to often overlook. So betting flaws with the bookies is quite possible.

As for poverty, money is the root of evil and so on.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Yea I feel people assume others are less morale than themselves. Like if you ask TJB to imagine himself as a low earning groundsman and ask him if he would match fix for money, he would probably say no, he values the game too much. Well if you won't do it in that situation, why assume that someone else would?
Nah not if I really thought I'd get away with it. **** the game.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think honesty has anything to do with how wealthy you are (at least not in the sense that poor people are more dishonest). Both rich and poor people can be dishonest, both can do wrong things - the only difference is the amount (rich people will charge more). Look at how many rich people in every country have corruption charges against them proven in a court of law. They also sometimes have enough money for cover-ups.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Because nobody really knows how they'd react when the hypothetical is so far outside of their normal experience...and keeping your kids from starving (extreme example, I know) is a fairly strong motivating factor.