• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The worst CT ever

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who gives a ****, it's the Champions Trophy, any self-respecting cricket fan will forget about it in 4 weeks top.

Long-Hop

Cricket Spectator
I must have missed England beating New Zealand in a full game.

It rains in May,June,July,August and September in England so when should we have had it?

May is usually when we end up having a few weeks of delightful weather. Summer is usually ****.

But then may can be **** too as witnessed by the test matches in CLS and Leeds.
So far the tournament has produced some entertaining cricket, a few surprises including the deshis going through at the expense of the aussies and kiwis, but by and large most games have ended in a result which is the main thing.

Bangladesh were down and near out then put on 200 to beat the kiwis, they can only blame themselves for not going through, and the aussies had their chance against England and were pretty ordinary. Yes there were two non results in the group, the aussies can moan loudest as they lost two chances to win a game, but otherwise 9 results out of 11 games is pretty good.

And I blame the powers that be for some no results, in the NZL-AUS game the side batting 1st batted 45 overs and there were 54 overs in the game, 14 more than the minimum 20 per side needed for a result. I'm not suggesting it definitely should have been a result, but with forecasts available on the weather they could have trimmed the kiwi innings a bit and increased the prospect of a positive result. This is also true in the BAN-AUS match, 60.3 overs batted but again the side batting 1st used up 44.3 overs and the aussies fell just short with 16 overs possible.

They need to reduce innings by more when it does rain, I'd suggest 10 overs per side for every hour lost to rain. Even if you only see/get 27 overs a side say it's better than seeing one side bat 48-50 and the other left struggling to get to 4-6 and nowhere near a result.

England is as worthy a host as anyone, especially given the number of grounds across the country capable of hosting such games. And would there be a guarantee of the same crowds for all the games that you get in England?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting points. Should they consider changing the ODI format to four innings - 20 over each then 30?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interesting points. Should they consider changing the ODI format to four innings - 20 over each then 30?
Didn't they try this in Australian list A games a few years ago?

It must have been pretty ordinary because they scrapped it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So far the tournament has produced some entertaining cricket, a few surprises including the deshis going through at the expense of the aussies and kiwis, but by and large most games have ended in a result which is the main thing.

Bangladesh were down and near out then put on 200 to beat the kiwis, they can only blame themselves for not going through, and the aussies had their chance against England and were pretty ordinary. Yes there were two non results in the group, the aussies can moan loudest as they lost two chances to win a game, but otherwise 9 results out of 11 games is pretty good.

And I blame the powers that be for some no results, in the NZL-AUS game the side batting 1st batted 45 overs and there were 54 overs in the game, 14 more than the minimum 20 per side needed for a result. I'm not suggesting it definitely should have been a result, but with forecasts available on the weather they could have trimmed the kiwi innings a bit and increased the prospect of a positive result. This is also true in the BAN-AUS match, 60.3 overs batted but again the side batting 1st used up 44.3 overs and the aussies fell just short with 16 overs possible.

They need to reduce innings by more when it does rain, I'd suggest 10 overs per side for every hour lost to rain. Even if you only see/get 27 overs a side say it's better than seeing one side bat 48-50 and the other left struggling to get to 4-6 and nowhere near a result.

England is as worthy a host as anyone, especially given the number of grounds across the country capable of hosting such games. And would there be a guarantee of the same crowds for all the games that you get in England?

Pretty good post, but its not a question of no results and results alone. It is the fact that weather impacts the number of games that it has. And yes, there is no guarantee that you will get the crowds that you get in England but I am pretty sure in the SC you will get double the crowds and little to no rain.

But again, if they were scheduling 3 years ago, all they had is the month on month data till then and based on that logic, this was a reasonable decision. As others have pointed out, the only other place to play and get full games would probably be Sri-Lanka. And its also worth noting that England day games are at an excellent time zone for the SC which is anyways where the most eyeballs for these games come from. So its just bad luck more than anything else, really.

91Jmay

International Coach
Pretty good post, but its not a question of no results and results alone. It is the fact that weather impacts the number of games that it has. And yes, there is no guarantee that you will get the crowds that you get in England but I am pretty sure in the SC you will get double the crowds and little to no rain.

But again, if they were scheduling 3 years ago, all they had is the month on month data till then and based on that logic, this was a reasonable decision. As others have pointed out, the only other place to play and get full games would probably be Sri-Lanka. And its also worth noting that England day games are at an excellent time zone for the SC which is anyways where the most eyeballs for these games come from. So its just bad luck more than anything else, really.
There is absolutely no way you get double the crowds in the SC for this tournament. That just isn't happening.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What exactly are the capacities of these grounds? A couple of 25Ks and a 15K. You seriously think you cant get more if you played in Bangalore, Kolkata and Mumbai? They all sell out games easier.

But if you are talking about the neutral games, I agree you have a point. But that is true with most non SC venues given how much the SC diaspora are around places like England, Australia, US (if it were held in the Windies) South Africa etc.

91Jmay

International Coach
What exactly are the capacities of these grounds? A couple of 25Ks and a 15K. You seriously think you cant get more if you played in Bangalore, Kolkata and Mumbai? They all sell out games easier.

But if you are talking about the neutral games, I agree you have a point. But that is true with most non SC venues given how much the SC diaspora are around places like England, Australia, US (if it were held in the Windies) South Africa etc.
Yeah obviously I'm talking about the neutral games. Sorry but Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka in Sydney or Cape Town doesn't get anywhere near the crowd it does in Birmingham. That's fanciful comment.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dunno.. we will have to check the 2015 figures but I dont think it would have been as bad as you make it out to be. The 2006 CT in India went well inspite of how the SC teams went.

91Jmay

International Coach
You might be right, however best data I can find suggests 50-55k Bangladeshi's in Australia, vs 460k+ in UK. It's not really comparable