• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The TH Cricketer Height Thread

Athlai

Not Terrible
An attack of

Vaas (5'10 and a bit)
Steyn (5'10)
Larwood 5'7)
Murali (5'5)

feels like it may actually be good enough

Flem274*

123/5
How tall is Neil Wagner? At a guess I would say about 5'10", but I can't find any official numbers.
my one THism is I've been trying to catch a good angle of him next to Kane or Watling for a while because I don't think there would be much difference.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you google Van Wyk you get 2 "official" heights- 4 foot tall, and 4'9" :laugh:

These listings seem to have then made there way to a number of different pages about "shortest cricketers ever" etc

It's kinda hard to find a really good comparison pic of him but he's gotta be the shortest NZ cricketer of recent times, maybe 5'4"
Lol, I had a good chuckle when I saw that a few years back. Someone taking the piss officially in google.

Yeah, I think he's probably about 5'4. People forget he naturally looked smaller playing in a team in which the next shortest was probably McCullum at 5'7-5'8, and mostly 6 footers around him.

Incidentally, here's my best guess of a few current NZ players;

KW - 5'8 1/2.
Ross- 6 foot on the dot.
Boult- 6 foot (same as Taylor, if not a smidgen taller, but not as much as half an inch)
Wagner - 5'10
Latham 5'7 1/2

Zinzan

The reverse order height XI is the real challenge though, tall batsman to short bowlers.

Fulton 6'6
Gayle 6'4
Sangakkara 6'1 (did I go to short already?)

Malinga and Fidel Edwards are fairly short but are they good enough?
Sanga isn't even close to 6'1 IMO, I'd suggest 5'10 tops. Another who may appear deceptively tall because he's often seen beside the likes of Jayawardene.

thierry henry

International Coach
Believe it or not I had separate 1 on 1 conversations with Vaas, Murali and Sanga one crazy night at The Outback bar in Hamilton in 2005. Vaas and Sanga are circa 5’9” and Murali circa 5’6”

thierry henry

International Coach
Lol, I had a good chuckle when I saw that a few years back. Someone taking the piss officially in google.

Yeah, I think he's probably about 5'4. People forget he naturally looked smaller playing in a team in which the next shortest was probably McCullum at 5'7-5'8, and mostly 6 footers around him.

Incidentally, here's my best guess of a few current NZ players;

KW - 5'8 1/2.
Ross- 6 foot on the dot.
Boult- 6 foot (same as Taylor, if not a smidgen taller, but not as much as half an inch)
Wagner - 5'10
Latham 5'7 1/2
These are good efforts. Boult is a fraction taller than Taylor and probably 6’ on the button. Santner is also just barely 6’ and easily the world leader for erroneously being called tall

thierry henry

International Coach
Fulton 6’5.5”
Gayle 6’3”
Cook 6’2”
Hayden 6’1ish
Clive Lloyd tall but not as tall as he was made out to be
Crowe maybe 6’1”?
Greg Chappell 6’-6’1” range?
Kallis 6’
Inzamam cbf checking but tall

some options for tall batsmen

morgieb

Fulton 6’5.5”
Gayle 6’3”
Cook 6’2”
Hayden 6’1ish
Crowe maybe 6’1”?
Kallis 6’

Smith?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Fulton 6’5.5”
Gayle 6’3”
Cook 6’2”
Hayden 6’1ish
Crowe maybe 6’1”?
Kallis 6’

Trevor Franklin was a huge bastard. Couldn't hit off the square, which wasn't ideal as an opening batsman, but I was always under the impression he was 6'6 from reading various books over the years.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
At what height would the best "Under <Height> XI" and the best "Over <height> XI" be best matched? 6 foot is a natural height to pick, but with Bradman, Sobers, a host of other top batsman and an attack along the lines of Marshall/Steyn/Larwood/Murali I think the Under-6-foot XI would have a definite edge.