• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The TH Cricketer Height Thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For general discussion/debate about cricketers heights. Photo evidence where applicable.

My top 7 batting line-up all >6 foot;

Matthew Hayden
Alistair Cook
W G Grace
Graeme Pollock
Kevin Pietersen
Clive Lloyd
Keith Miller

Before anyone says it, Sobers was 5'11.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Little fast and fast-medium bowlers (under 5'9"/175cm):

Harold Larwood 5'8"
Tibby Cotter 5'8"
Manny Martindale 5'8 1/2"
Roy Gilchrist 5'8"
Lasith Malinga 5'7"
Kemar Roach 5'8"
Mohammad Shami 5'8"
Bilawal Bhatti (anyone remember him?) 5'6"
Ramakant Desai 5'4"
Ajit Agarkar 5'7"
Chetan Sharma 5'3"
Tino Best 5'8" (but big in other places)

Always thought Fidel Edwards was 5'7", although google returns 165 cm (5'5"). I think he's a bit taller than that. Reckon Learie Constantine was about 5'6", and George Francis was perhaps around Martindale's height (5' 8-9")? I find it interesting that an outsize number of representatives are from the West Indies, considering their reputation for producing giants.

Going back before the Great War Walter Brearley wasn't very tall either, but was one of the quickest of the Golden Age.

I don't know how tall Danny Morrison was. Maybe 5'9"? Thierry really could help here, being an NZ'der and all.

Grahame Corling was pretty short, but I don't know how short. One of the few representatives from Australia. Norman Gordon from SA looks very small on the newsreel from Durban 1939. Other than that I can't think of another notable South African, although Ntini at 5'9"/175 is close.

Duncan Spencer (5'8") never played internationals, but was certainly damned quick. Eddie Gilbert was apparently 5'9" according to a comment somewhere on here. A really old one who also never played tests is George Tarrant, one of the roundarmers who terrorised batsmen on the terrible pitches of the early 1860s. Apparently he was around 5'7" and by all accounts quite a handful.

Athlai

Not Terrible

Harold Larwood 5'8"
Tibby Cotter 5'8"
Roy Gilchrist 5'8"
Lasith Malinga 5'7"
Kemar Roach 5'8"
Mohammad Shami 5'8"
Ramakant Desai 5'4"
Ajit Agarkar 5'7"
Chetan Sharma 5'3"

Always thought Fidel Edwards was 5'7", although google returns 165 cm (5'5"). I think he's a bit taller than that. Reckon Learie Constantine was about 5'6", and George Francis was perhaps around Martindale's height (5' 8-9")? I find it interesting that an outsize number of representatives are from the West Indies, considering their reputation for producing giants.

Going back before the Great War Walter Brearley wasn't very tall either, but was one of the quickest of the Golden Age.

I don't know how tall Danny Morrison was. Maybe 5'9"? Thierry really could help here, being an NZ'der and all.

Grahame Corling was pretty short, but I don't know how short. One of the few representatives from Australia. Norman Gordon from SA looks very small on the newsreel from Durban 1939. Other than that I can't think of another notable South African, although Ntini at 5'9"/175 is close.

Duncan Spencer (5'8") never played internationals, but was certainly damned quick. Eddie Gilbert was apparently 5'9" according to a comment somewhere on here. A really old one who also never played tests is George Tarrant, one of the roundarmers who terrorised batsmen on the terrible pitches of the early 1860s. Apparently he was around 5'7" and by all accounts quite a handful.
TH is going to like the **** out of this post

Bolo

State Captain
For general discussion/debate about cricketers heights. Photo evidence where applicable.

My top 7 batting line-up all >6 foot;

Matthew Hayden
Alistair Cook
W G Grace
Graeme Pollock
Kevin Pietersen
Clive Lloyd
Keith Miller

Before anyone says it, Sobers was 5'11.
Cook out, Smith in. I reckon Smith was a better bat, although I'm sure opinions will differ.

Smith takes a potential tiebreaker on height.

Bolo

State Captain
More than 6' for sure. A couple of friends of mine who were around 6' met him in a bar and said he was towering over them.

fredfertang

Harold Larwood 5'8"
Tibby Cotter 5'8"
Roy Gilchrist 5'8"
Lasith Malinga 5'7"
Kemar Roach 5'8"
Mohammad Shami 5'8"
Ramakant Desai 5'4"
Ajit Agarkar 5'7"
Chetan Sharma 5'3"

The Little Wonder, John Wisden, was 5' 6'' according to Wikipedia, which is all I can be bothered to look at now, but pretty sure I've seen some places suggest he was even shorter

Zinzan

Harold Larwood 5'8"
Tibby Cotter 5'8"
Roy Gilchrist 5'8"
Lasith Malinga 5'7"
Kemar Roach 5'8"
Mohammad Shami 5'8"
Ramakant Desai 5'4"
Ajit Agarkar 5'7"
Chetan Sharma 5'3"

Some effort that!

Zinzan

Marshall was listed at 5'11 (although I suspect closer to 5'10)... He probably appeared shorter next to his towering bowling mates like Garner 6'8, Walsh 6'6 & Ian Bishop 6'5 1/2..

Zinzan

How tall is Kallis? Google has him as 6'2", Wikipedia 6'0", and Cricbuzz 5'11".
Kallis is quite clearly over 6 foot, my best guess would be 6'1. I guess that makes him a better no. 6 in my top 7 above than Clive Lloyd.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm all about the 2m+ side (6ft6), get that one in print. Two metre Peter automatically qualifies by virtue of his nickname. And if it's my side I want Will Jefferson in there, the most imposing non-international batsman I've ever seen. Just a giant. Still recall with amusement an entire Auckland pub staring at him walking in one evening.

Gnske

Just about any Bangladeshi batsman who has ever lived except Mahmudullah should be in the running for the midgets XI

Jarquis

I'm all about the 2m+ side (6ft6), get that one in print. Two metre Peter automatically qualifies by virtue of his nickname. And if it's my side I want Will Jefferson in there, the most imposing non-international batsman I've ever seen. Just a giant. Still recall with amusement an entire Auckland pub staring at him walking in one evening.
Would be a decent bowling attack

Gnske

I like how the images that come up immediately are him with James Taylor. What a unit.