• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
The other thing today that exists is that any weakness in your game is exploited mercilessly. It looks like Australia have found something on Williamson and they're holding him to the dirt with it. I think modern players can't afford weaknesses in the same way previous generations might have.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You think what you like, it isn't going to change my opinion of the guy. Great keeper/batsman package, and some fantastic innings - some of the most iconic NZ innings - but far, far, far too many times he failed to contribute when his team needed him, and that marks him down by any score. How many of his booming edges through and over the slips would have gone so far with a bat with less than half the thickness? How much more likely would it have been that some of those shots would have gone to hand, or that instead he wouldn't have played such an innings at all - played for the singles as Phlegm suggests, but the bowlers remain on top and are able to keep hitting their line and length. Crass hypotheticals, I realise, but Christ, even he said in his interview today how lucky his innings was.

And you compared him to Sir Viv? Well, the mind boggles as to how IVA would have performed in the modern age, in the era of 400+ ODI scores, field restrictions and T20. It really does.

Anyway, this thread was meant for friendly banter and neither the tone of your posts or mine are friendly in nature in my opinion and thus aren't suitable for this thread. It'd be great if the mods could move this discussion to the match thread, but I suspect they cbf.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm sorry that you don't view my posts as friendly; I thought personally we were just bantering about different opinions of two batsmen. I've not once tried to make you feel like your opinions aren't reasonable; I'm just pointing out where I disagree with them. I don't have a problem with the tone of your posts, I just don't agree with you is all.

HeathDavisSpeed

...then I think you're not in a great position to rate him.
Things like this are unfriendly in my opinion as it's making an assessment which is unnecessarily personal.

As a Test batsman, I've watched most of his career - well, the amount that has been on TV. Other than Sutcliffe, Donnelly and Dempster, I've also watched all the other guys I mentioned (unless I mentioned any other ancient) and I stick by my assessment that they were better Test batsmen.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
OK fair point; I can see how that would come across as aggressive but that's in response to me feeling like you're just throwing all of his achievements into "It's a modern game, new bats, everythings changed" without realising he still stands out in the day and age of smashers.

HeathDavisSpeed

I value his achievements, it's the stuff in between which has often proved frustrating and underwhelming. More consistency would have been great.

And you see it's things like "without realising". I was at the ground when he scored his triple ton, and I certainly value his achievements - his long term impact on the amount of kids taking up cricket can't be underestimated. But those intangibles don't mean that he was a better Test batsman because of it. I could certainly agree with an assessment that he has proven to be a player of immense value to New Zealand cricket and his 300 certainly proved that he was capable of battening down the hatches and gritting out the runs when needed. It wasn't the only time, but it was a scarcity in his career which I feel can be held against his batting credentials.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Anyone been watching the Martin Crowe tribute pop-up channel on Sky? Got to see my first footage of Cricket Max. Scott Styris hitting a chubby Chris Pringle for six (or was it 12) a particular highlight.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah, definitely been worth a squizz. Quite a difference looking at how skills were deployed in Cricket Max versus how they've developed in T20.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Didn't Roger Twose say that Cricket Max basically gave him the gifts he needed to be a good ODI batsman?

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone been watching the Martin Crowe tribute pop-up channel on Sky? Got to see my first footage of Cricket Max. Scott Styris hitting a chubby Chris Pringle for six (or was it 12) a particular highlight.
Saw a few Cricket Max clips the other day and watched this from the blackcaps website on Crowe - was nice.

Video

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I'd have loved to have seen a four stump game, but I didn't have Sky in those days, and they didn't replay any recently.

HeathDavisSpeed

Not really NZ cricket related, but wasn't sure where to put this:

Former baseball player Boomer Collins aims for cricket career | Stuff.co.nz

So, a batting coach is looking at converting unsuccessful baseball hitters into batsmen for T20. Interesting to see how this will go. I can't see this being successful beyond T20, but who knows.

Mind you, if Luke Vivian couldn't make it in NZ domestix, then I'm not sure how these baseballers are going to be more successful.