• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Quarter Finals

ripper868

International Coach
This may or may not be useful, but I'm weary of dropping into each of the pool threads to discuss the quarter finals hopes of Japan.

Anyway, Matsushima and Fukuoka vs Kolbe and Nkosi/Mapimpi is going to be all sorts of fun.

Oh yeah, and Koroibete will need to beat England on his own, otherwise its England by 20.

Australia v England. Saturday 19/10. 08:15 (All times UK)
New Zealand v Ireland. Saturday 19/10. 11:15.

Wales v France. Sunday 20/10. 08:15
Japan v South Africa. Sunday 20/10. 11:15

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think England v. the Wobblies is an absolute done deal. If Oz gets anything like parity at the set pieces their backline is due an on day.

The Pooper/Cunderhill match up at the breakdowns could be spicey too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England have held up the Australian backs for six games in a row, and Folau was uniformly the most dangerous each time. I’m pretty confident. Reckon England win 75% of the time.

Wales v France is the closest according to the bookies which I can only guess is due to Wales’s horrific record in knockouts.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Plus France being France too, I suppose. Not quite the mercurial geniuses of popular cliche, the current mob, but in Dupont, Ntamack, Medard, Penaud and Fickou they have several backs who can pull something special from their derriere.

ripper868

International Coach
Wallabies haven't set Tupou free at 13 off a lineout set play yet either. And hes not played much to will be fresh...but Howe is bang on, I'd say Entland are the heavy favourites here...as they were in 2015...I can only hope something goes click for the wallabies otherwise Saturday morning is gonna suck.

Flem274*

123/5
australia have one genius game in them for the tournament. i think it's this one. they're on a terrible side of the draw though. nz + ireland + england are tough to have. they can beat them all but two in a row? maybe.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
not sure what the best thread for it is but i have to tip my hat to mo'unga.

we all know crusaders fans think every generic matt todd and luke romano are the best players in the world and richie mo'unga has the easiest job in super rugby, let alone the easiest #10 job - sit behind all black/professional crusaders filler forward pack and dominate game. he's not the ace goal kicker everyone pretends he is, one poor game doesn't make barrett a terrible kicker, i thought mo'unga was suspect on defence and he isn't the attacking threat beaudy is.

i thought of him as a promising player but still with a whiff of generic crusaders filler about him, a guy who would struggle if he played #10 for the other 4 nz sides. a colin slade or aaron cruden 'he exists' kind of player.

but yeah nah he was world class against south africa. i was really really impressed. i still don't think he's as good at #10 as beaudy and beaudy/mckenzie is still easily our best choice dual playmaker combo (cue 'dMaC iZ 2 sMaLL aNd dUmB' comments, both of which are woefully wrong) but mo'unga was excellent and i think the crusaders fan bleating/baby boomer mckenzie hating will keep him in.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England have held up the Australian backs for six games in a row, and Folau was uniformly the most dangerous each time. I’m pretty confident. Reckon England win 75% of the time.

Wales v France is the closest according to the bookies which I can only guess is due to Wales’s horrific record in knockouts.
The France-Wales 6N game this year was super tight.

You think England vs. Australia will be closer?

ripper868

International Coach
I think the winner of England v Aus will be whoever the french refs decide is winning the scrum, regardless of who actually is. Breakdown area will be interesting as well, Pocock could have a field day, or get blown off the park sending on how Garces wakes up in the morning.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, because I think Australia are flawed but are genuine outside contenders, whereas France are just a bit pants.
Sure, but I kind of think of Wales as capable of giving anyone a game but also more prone to slipping up in games they should win. Whereas I think of England as properly legit.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
My QF predictions (winners in bold):

England v Australia
New Zealand v Ireland
Wales v France
Japan v South Africa

ripper868

International Coach
Not the official announcement, but according to Foxsports (so take this with a grain of salt)

LIKELY WALLABIES TEAM: Kurtley Beale, Reece Hodge, Jordan Petaia, Samu Kerevi, Marika Koroibete, Christian Lealiifano, Will Genia, Isi Naisarani, Michael Hooper (c), David Pocock, Rory Arnold, Izack Rodda, Allan Alaalatoa, Tolu Latu, Scott Sio

Reserves: Jordan Uelese, James Slipper, Taniela Tupou, Adam Coleman, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Nic White, Matt To’omua, James O’Connor

Persia is 19 years old and going to score 4 tries. Read it there first.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England team

1. Vunipola 2. George 3. Sinckler
4. Itoje 5. Lawes
6. Underhill 7. Curry 8. Vunipola

9. Youngs 10. Farrell
11. May 12. Tuilagi 13. Slade 14. Watson
15. Daly

16. Cowan-Dickie 17. Marler 18. Cole 19. Kruis 20. Ludlam 21. Heinz 22. Ford 23. Joseph

I cannot even begin to agree with that midfield selection. Kinda gobsmacked

Edit: Also abut nervy about no wing cover on the bench.

Last edited:

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
All Blacks named:

1 Moody, 2 Taylor, 3 Laulala, 4 Retallick, 5 Whitelock, 6 Savea, 7 Cane, 8 Read (c)

9 A Smith, 10 Mo'unga, 11 Bridge, 12 Lienert-Brown, 13 Goodhue, 14 Reece, 15 B Barrett

16 Coles, 17 Tu'ugafasi, 18 Ta'avao, 19. S Barrett, 20 Todd, 21 Perenara, 22 SBW, 23 J Barrett

ripper868

International Coach
No Ben Smith at all :(.

England:
Stunned that they've not gone for Ford/Farrel/Tuilagi. I'd say that's a bit of a sign they will play 10 man rugby in the main, unless it's purely to mark Tuilagi direct against Kerevi, who is Australias biggest attacking threat really.

Australia gambling on Petaia, but people have claimed hes good enough for the last 12 months, just unlucky with injuries...I really cant wait for Saturday.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I cannot even begin to agree with that midfield selection. Kinda gobsmacked

Edit: Also abut nervy about no wing cover on the bench.
The lack of wing cover doesn't really bother me too much, we've got a ready made replacement in Daly and Slade covers 15, but the midfield is something of a Barry, yes.

It's pretty easy to surmise why it's been done (defence, in a word), but the big worry is Farrell's relative lack of form. Whereas Ford has been arguably our best player.