• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Please fire Gary Stead and Gavin Larsen" thread

Days of Grace

International Captain
Looks like Stead's up for another round, so now it's up to NZC..

“The next cycle of the World Test Championship games is after my contract’s out, and I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that evolves with time and where New Zealand Cricket and I get to, with discussions around my future ... it's too early to know. If that happens, that happens – everyone's shelf life comes to an end at some stage. So if it's deemed that I can't offer anything more to the team, then I walk away a happy man still.”
Mate, one could argue you have never offered anything to the team. You inherited the best crop of talent we have ever assembled. Yes, you won the world test championship and almost the entire world cup with them but the foundation had already been set. The true test was always how you would follow-up on that and how you would build the next team. But you have shown no inclination to blood young talent, even in a dead rubber series against Sri Lanka at home. And instead of showing even more hunger to win trophies, you dialed it back to the amateur era "Oh yeah-nah, little old New Zealand can't get too big for its boots" bull****. **** that and please **** off.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, I gave the benefit of the doubt for a long time and it is his job to stick up for the boys but after his comments regarding the Bangladesh loss, well that was just weakness.

To drive home just how weak it was, here is an anecdote from Jarrod Kimber about the true "punch above our weight" cliche Gary Stead is hiding behind.

Reid worked at a service station, and to warm-up before the tour, he asked for volunteers to come down and bowl to him in the local nets. One of those was a young boy, around 12, who tried his hardest to help Reid. The pitch they had on offer was concrete. Reid was going up against the great England cricketers in an era they dominated, with kids bowling to him on a concrete wicket.

There is amateur, there is graft, but New Zealand weren't playing the same sport as England at that point.

Stead has a professional cricket team, paid to train 365 days a year, and the good fortune to have some world class players and talents in his starting eleven and domestic circuit.

Go hard or go home.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This is the time to remind ourselves that Steady basically told us to 'lower our expectations' and 'not be arrogant' after losing at home to Bangladesh last summer.

I don't blame a particular result, in cricket, on a coach, especially in cricket. But that told me then that Stead is not the man for this job. He still has basically NZ's best generation of talent ever, currently only minus Boult. We need someone with higher expectations and a bit of ambition.
Also missing Jamieson, but yes I agree with what you've written.

I know his batting average is mocked ("best since Bradman"), but I'd love if NZC headhunted Adam Voges (he may not be even slightly interested, however). The guy can obviously coach as the Perth Scorchers and WA 1st class teams show (won Sheffield Shield last year and hosting this year's final and dominant in Big Bash) and has played international cricket in the last 10 years.

Last edited:

Carlos

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
thought they really missed a trick not playing Ravindra after his breakthrough time at treh ODI world cups. Players like that once they have confidence you pick them and back them as he could be the next batting stalwart for NZ like Williamson, instead they carry on picking Nicholson who we know will never avarge more than 38 or be more than a middling to bit part batter. Never world class and will never average over 45 in tests. Perhaps Ravindra could be that player and i would have put him at 4 and backed him there for the next 2 years.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
thought they really missed a trick not playing Ravindra after his breakthrough time at treh ODI world cups. Players like that once they have confidence you pick them and back them as he could be the next batting stalwart for NZ like Williamson, instead they carry on picking Nicholson who we know will never avarge more than 38 or be more than a middling to bit part batter. Never world class and will never average over 45 in tests. Perhaps Ravindra could be that player and i would have put him at 4 and backed him there for the next 2 years.
Unfortunately he’s only played five games in over two months since the World Cup semi, in the middle of our summer, and now looks totally out of form.

Seems to me like the last thing you’d want to do after you get a young player on a hot streak like Ravindra was, but what do I know.

Flem274*

123/5
Nicholls did average 45 once lol had a run of home and UAE games.

It wasn't going to last though because he's a HTB. A very good one, but no one can afford a guy averaging 20 away from home.