• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I've had enough, Virat Kohli.......

Howsie

International Captain
.... is a good player, great when it comes to the limited overs stuff. But if he isn't the most overrated player going around at the moment then I don't know who is.

Sky Sports named their present World XI and this cat not only made the team, he was named as the captain. I mean come on. The so called big four in world cricket Kohli is easily a level below the other three when it comes to test cricket. His career average of 46 should put him somewhere in that second tier of test batsman, and yet, it doesn't. He's consistently rated right up there as a test batsman.

Please, somebody explain. How has this happened. How has a guy with a good but not great (and not even close) test career to date managed this.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harsh. He does average below KW, Root & SS, but c'mon, we know there's more to batsmanship than averages, otherwise we'd also be saying Smith is significantly better than KW simply because he averages 8 or so more at this stage.

Kohli's feather in the cap for me is he's spanked so many tons against Australia in their own backyard, something we normally hold against subcontinent batsmen.

Zinzan

FTR, as a pure Test batsman I would rate Kohli marginally below the other 3 atm, but there's really not much in it.

morgieb

Think the main reason why Kohli gets so hyped is because of how good he is in the shorter formats. A lot of pundits tend to let the latter influnence the former too much.

Zinzan

That is true, but he's still a better Test bat than many give him credit for and certainly one of the best going around.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warne was involved picking the team, enough said.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
X factor, ability to play a great innings often matters more to some than how often you do it. Pietersen benefitted from it his whole career in these exercises (though for at least the first 4-5 years of his test career he was consistent too, so that wasn't meant as a criticism of him)

And I think it's fair enough to give him kudos for that, the aforementioned performances in Australia etc, but let's also not forget the guy averages 3 in England and if Jimmy Anderson tossed him an apple in the canteen he'd find a way to edge it to the keeper.

In summary, what a hack

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I cbf to look for them but iirc it was

Cook
Warner
Smith
Kohli
Root
ABDV
Stokes
Ashwin
Yasir
Starc
Anderson

Morkel 12th man

Could be wrong but that's how I remember it

Motorwada

Banned
Good away average and has performed everywhere except England (averages 13 there). But then again Joe Root averages 17 in NZ and 27 in Oz, places where Kohli averages 71 and 62. Williamson averages 10 in SA, where Kohli averages 68.

Hasn't been able to fill his boots in home series cause of absolute dustbowls and some tough pitches in Sri Lanka (where Steve Smith is struggling).

By the end of this year I am guessing all of their averages will converge to the early 50s.

Zinzan

I cbf to look for them but iirc it was

Cook
Warner
Smith
Kohli
Root
ABDV
Stokes
Ashwin
Yasir
Starc
Anderson

Morkel 12th man

Could be wrong but that's how I remember it
Jeez that's tough on KW who's averaging 72 in the last 3 years, including 10 tons if you're correct... ouch.

Howsie

International Captain
Harsh. He does average below KW, Root & SS, but c'mon, we know there's more to batsmanship than averages, otherwise we'd also be saying Smith is significantly better than KW simply because he averages 8 or so more at this stage.

Kohli's feather in the cap for me is he's spanked so many tons against Australia in their own backyard, something we normally hold against subcontinent batsmen.
Career averages sure, but stats/numbers do matter otherwise you get crap like X factor bandied about. Which is what exactly?

Since the start of 2015, so around 18 months (this XI seems to have been picked on about that time) Root has 2208 runs at 59 with 5 100's. Smith 1856 @ 71 with 7 100's, Williamson 1500 @ 83 with 5 100's and Kohli 884 @ 52 with 3 100's.

But he has that X factor, that, that.... What? He doesn't have the career record, nor the recent past. Is it because he's aggressive? He has the lowest SR over that time between those four, so it can't be that. Unless by aggressive you mean random bouts of emotion throughout a game.

Zinzan

Career averages sure, but stats/numbers do matter otherwise you get crap like X factor bandied about. Which is what exactly?

Since the start of 2015, so around 18 months (this XI seems to have been picked on about that time) Root has 2208 runs at 59 with 5 100's. Smith 1856 @ 71 with 7 100's, Williamson 1500 @ 83 with 5 100's and Kohli 884 @ 52 with 3 100's.

But he has that X factor, that, that.... What? He doesn't have the career record, nor the recent past. Is it because he's aggressive? He has the lowest SR over that time between those four, so it can't be that. Unless by aggressive you mean random bouts of emotion throughout a game.
As someone posted, apparently Warnie was part of panel, and he was calling KW, "Williams" when commentating at the WC lol, so that ought to tell you something.

Flem274*

123/5
i don't care for virat kohli but it's hard to get worked up about a team compiled by a bunch of old english blokes.

world elevens without dale steyn dont count, so i don't think small country syndrome is needed here.