• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The playing out from the back thread

Tom Flint

International Regular
Was watching motd Sunday morning, I counted 4 cases of goalkeepers and defeneders gifting goals by trying to pass the ball around their penalty box. Arsenal almost gave away a couple and no doubt there were plenty other near misses..
I used to hate it, but have seen enough times where teams are drawn in to press high and we get in behind further up the pitch to accept it works. It's still a nerve racking watch. Post here when your side gifts a goal by trying to walk the ball into the opposition half instead of just lumping it.

Last edited:

Socerer 01

International Captain
Was watching motd Sunday morning, I counted 4 cases of goalkeepers and defeneders gifting goals by trying to pass the ball around their penalty box. Arsenal almost gave away a couple and no doubt there were plenty other near missus.
I used to hate it by have seen enough times where teams are drawn in to press high and we get in behind further up the pitch to accept it works. It's still a nerve racking watch. Post here when your side gifts a goal by trying to walk the ball into the opposition half instead of just lumping it.
proper brexit energy in this post haha

more seriously its a response to all teams out there trying to press high and hard, just like the hard press was initially a response to teams trying to play tiki taka and possession football

Molehill

International Captain
Portsmouth have properly adopted the strategy this season. What makes it work is having a decent ball playing keeper who can pick the pass when the press is on (Norris is excellent at Pompey). We've currently got the best defence in the division and by my reckoning, you could only potentially argue one goal conceded was as a result of playing it out.

I used to hate it when we had idiots who couldn't pass, but now I appreciate what we're trying to do.....and hey, we're top of the table.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the top level you just have to do it now, and that competitive reality is working its way down the system. Taking long goal kicks when the opposition is keeping the ball from theirs is too much of a disadvantage. You end up working so hard chasing the ball and have no energy to do anything with it when you win it back.

Tom Flint

International Regular
The loudest cheer at arsenal after the goal and occasionally before was anytime someone just hoofed it

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Playing out from the back is great. Forces all the player types who in previous generations typically couldn't actually play football (e.g., keepers and centre backs etc.) to get good at...football.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I remember being really disappointed by Jorge Campos at USA 94, he was nowhere near as mental as promised.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I remember being really disappointed by Jorge Campos at USA 94, he was nowhere near as mental as promised.
Then there was Jose Luis Chilavert, the Paraguayan keeper who took penalties, free kicks and punched opposing players. Don't make unhinged Latin American goalkeepers like they used to.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Then there was Jose Luis Chilavert, the Paraguayan keeper who took penalties, free kicks and punched opposing players. Don't make unhinged Latin American goalkeepers like they used to.
Is this the one who scored about 100 career goals?

Tom Flint

International Regular
One of them scored a hatrick lol. Ceni only scored one of the 129 from open play, I wonder how many of heguita's 43 were.

Kraken

International 12th Man
I'm a big advocate for playing out from the back, however the keeper needs to be a pretty good/great shot stopper to help counteract the added dangers playing out possesses. Exhibit A of someone failing this, Onana, A.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's great to watch but when Australia try it at tournaments it causes me conniptions, because I don't associate our side with being good enough to do it against top opposition.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I miss the loud/garish goalkeeper kits of the 90s tbh. I wouldn't go so far as to say they were nice to look at or anything, but they're very nostalgic for me. The David Seaman/England Euro 96 one a particular favourite of mine.