• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Not Taken In a Recent Draft" Draft

watson

Banned
Don't think we've Alfred Mynn before. Must admit I like his style;

Alfred Mynn - the "Lion of Kent" - was to the first half of the 19th century what WG Grace was to the second half. Physically he was a giant as well, standing over six feet and weighing in excess of 18 stone, but has tremendous stamina and was not unduly incapacitated by his size, except perhaps towards the end of his career. If he had a weakness, it was against top-quality slow bowling, but it was a tiny chink in his fearsome armour. He was also a fast round-arm bowler who generated fearsome pace off a four- or five-pace run-up. In 1836 he scored a hundred for South v North at Leicester but a badly injured leg necessitated him returning to London laid out on the top of a stagecoach and for a time it was feared his leg might have to be amputated. He recovered, and returned to his dominant best. In 1838 he beat James Dearman in a single-wicket competition for the unofficial Championship of England, and eight years later he defeated Fuller Pilch for the same title in what is considered to be the last of the great single-wicket matches. Off the field he was immensely popular, had an iron constitution (as befitted a hop a farmer) and ate heartily. He used to take a tankard of beer with him to bed to drink overnight, explaining that "beef and beer are the things to play cricket on". He suffered throughout his life from financial problems - he was in name an amateur but in reality an out-and-out professional.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/17144.html

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The whole reason I joined this draft was so I had an excuse to go Full Mynn. I saved him until now because I was pretty sure no-one else would pick him any earlier than this, but if anyone had I would have raged so much. :laugh:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The whole reason I joined this draft was so I had an excuse to go Full Mynn. I saved him until now because I was pretty sure no-one else would pick him any earlier than this, but if anyone had I would have raged so much. :laugh:
Wish people understood what a giant of the game Mynn was.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I'm being told it's my turn. I thought I was waiting on Cam. Anyhow I'll take Bob Cowper. Get a bit more bowling with him too

Jimmy Cook
Stewie Dempster
Bob Cowper
Vijay Hazare
Mike Hussey
Lee Irvine+
CB Llewellyn
-
Fanie De Villiers
Peter Heine
Sonny Ramadhin

watson