• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Most Entertaining Pace Bowler to Watch

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Donald and Akram were great to watch, but unless Ambrose was in a magic wicket-taking spell, he was pretty monotonous. Even McGrath had more variation.
Well looking at Ambrose's still picture is quite exciting if you ask me.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I still don't get your point.
the idea is that a guy like mitchell johnson on his day gets the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up and that's awesome from sheer thrill

but there's also something really entertaining, though in a different way, when you've got an anderson or a philander type who can make international batsmen in the prime of their careers look like they've never picked up a bat before through sheer weight of having no idea of what to do

subshakerz

International Coach
the idea is that a guy like mitchell johnson on his day gets the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up and that's awesome from sheer thrill

but there's also something really entertaining, though in a different way, when you've got an anderson or a philander type who can make international batsmen in the prime of their careers look like they've never picked up a bat before through sheer weight of having no idea of what to do
Someone like Johnson or Shoaib is more entertaining to me than Anderson or Philander though. Pace and bounce > swing/seam skill as far as a pure cricket entertainment spectacle goes for most viewers.

Sure, the latter can occasionally come up with a wow spell in swinging conditions in which they are beating the bat every ball and it seems like artistry. Most of the time they are consistent and tidy though and the batsman ends up playing them out respectfully.

Whereas the former will either have the crowd on their feet in anticipation and force their batsman to either physically survive or fight fire with fire. And if they are off form, their pace will leak plenty of runs which is still entertaining from a neutral standpoint.

Don't get me wrong, seeing an ATG pacer show their skills is lovely but nothing gets adrenaline running than pure worldclass pace. You want to see batsmen ducking and stumps knocked out of the ground rather than just a little nibble outside off.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Someone like Johnson or Shoaib is more entertaining to me than Anderson or Philander though. Pace and bounce > swing/seam skill as far as a pure cricket entertainment spectacle goes for most viewers.

Sure, the latter can occasionally come up with a wow spell in swinging conditions in which they are beating the bat every ball and it seems like artistry. Most of the time they are consistent and tidy though and the batsman ends up playing them out respectfully.

Whereas the former will either have the crowd on their feet in anticipation and force their batsman to either physically survive or fight fire with fire. And if they are off form, their pace will leak plenty of runs which is still entertaining from a neutral standpoint.

Don't get me wrong, seeing an ATG pacer show their skills is lovely but nothing gets adrenaline running than pure worldclass pace. You want to see batsmen ducking and stumps knocked out of the ground rather than just a little nibble outside off.
you're agreeing with me though, all of that, especially in the last paragraph, is what i said

shortpitched713

International Captain
Loved watching Asif, and McGrath ( when he wasn't facing Pakistan ). I saw Shoaib too, and he was cool and all, but for me when Asif or McGrath bowled, there was a kind of tension that was built up that never resolved. Each ball that was played and missed, or bounced up to the splice, or even just left uncertainly added to that because the batsman didn't really know when it was coming.

Shoaib it was either a beauty, or he missed what he was trying to do. The tension and thinking seemingly resolved itself after each delivery, and you got quite a break when he took his long walk back to his mark as well, lol.