• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

chalky

International Debutant
For those who haven't seen it another cracking fight on Saturday for the Bellator Light Weight Title

Full Fight: Eddie Alvarez vs. Michael Chandler - YouTube

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on Dan Henderson having Testosterone Replacement Therapy. Is it cheating? Afterall Nate Marquadt was fired from the UFC for the same thing.

I love Hendo think he is an absolute warrior but for me it does leave a question mark over the last few years of his career.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really but they both have very distinctive styles so it should be an interesting fight regardless. Would much rather see this than Jones-Evans.

Majin

International Debutant
Yeah I'm also way more excited for this than I would have been for Jones-Evans.

Jones is ridiculously broken, his physical advantages alone are just stupid. He's also very talented, and very unorthodox. That being said, I give Machida a better chance at beating him than anyone else in the LHW division at the moment. If, and it's a fairly massive if, he can figure out how to get inside Jones reach before getting caught with something or taken down, I think he'll have a decent chance at it. I know you hear this kind of thing all the time but in this case it's true, Jones has never fought anyone like Machida before. There isn't exactly anyone else like him out there. If he can manage to figure out Jones reach and find a way to utilise his superior speed to get in, attack and get out before getting caught again I think we could see an upset. Machida's brilliant at counter striking, as I mentioned has incredible speed and a style unlike anyone else in the UFC. Of course, Shogun pretty much laid out a blueprint on how to smash Machida whereas no one has quite worked out Jones yet, but you'd think it would still take some time to acclimatise once they're in the cage no matter how much you study the tapes.

But yeah. For me it pretty much comes down to if Machida is able to figure out how to get into his range and get out without getting caught/taken down, and getting the fight to go at his pace and not let Jones find his rhythm. Then it could get interesting. Especially if he manages to land a solid counter on Jones as of yet untested chin. Far, far easier said than done though and I'd have to say Jones is still the overwhelming favourite. If Lyoto can't do it I'm not sure anyone at LHW can, Jones would have to go up to HW before he matches up against people that could take him out probably.

Not going to stop me believing though. Machida all the way, I believe in Karate!

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
I thought the ref ****ed up a bit in the Nog v Murr fight, when Nog dropped him and was reigning down the blows, the ref kept shouting out don't hit the back of the head, which he wasn't he was hitting the temples and that made Nog stop and change position to go for the choke, which he otherwise wouldn't have done but for the refs calls because he was in such a dominant position, which obviously changed the course of the fight,
I thought Machida had his number there for a bit there and then things changed when he took that elbow and opened his melon up. Just goes to show how well rounded Jones is, he really is going to take some beating and I can't see who out there will do it, Rashad is kidding himself if he thinks he can do it, unless he catches him.
The other thing about him is a bit like what a lot of people said about Anderson, he appears a completely different weight class, each time you see him against someone, even against Rampage who's a big LHW he dwarfed. I wonder what he cuts to get down the 205 because it must be a fair bit because he easily looks around 220+ come fight day.

Uppercut

Lesnar ended then. If Dos Santos was as scared of Velasquez as he says he'll be seriously ****ting himself now.

Jacknife

International Captain
LOL Lesnar, was it ever in doubt, Mr 'I am the UFC' Lesnar got schooled . Will England :unsure: be on for it's first UFC title ever, JDS has got to figure out a way now to fight Overeem because standing with him, isn't his best bet and if he does Overeem should have his number.
I just loved how Overeem just walked through everything Lesnar tried to throw, talk about didn't respect his stand up and I loved the Bas Rutten style liver kick to finish.
Lesnar though imo has been shown up for what he is, a wrestler with zero striking ability, maybe he could have got away with that in 1998 but not now. Good luck to him in his retirement but he was never worth all the UFC hype.
Just read he's meant to be returning to the WWE WTF, I bet Dana has thrown a wobbler about that, best place for him though.

Cerrone looked crap from start to finish against Diaz, I reckon all his fights this year have caught up with him,he had no movement and looked really slow from start to finish

Hendricks reminds me of a little Dan Henederson but with a awesome left hand, the UFC will be happy Fitch got KO'd.

Glad Pearson won, he's a exciting little fighter who's looking to finish his opponents all the time, which imo won him this fight, even though it could have gone either way.

Last edited:

Uppercut

The worst part was that even though the only way Overeem could have lost was by being taken down he was still perfectly happy to throw kick after kick to Lesnar's body. Reckon he'd show more respect to a particularly well-made punchbag.

Fair play though, bit harsh on your family to get in a cage with 'reem.

King Pietersen

International Captain
JDS'll stand with Overeem, and he'll beat him on the feet too. I rate Overeem hugely, but JDS is going to be too quick, too powerful and too accurate for Alistair. Alistair is a beast, don't get me wrong, but his chin leaves a lot to be desired, he has a history of quitting in fights when he's being stomped on and he didn't look great in the later rounds against Werdum, so his gas tank is questionable too. JDS is going to pressure him, he's going to connect, and he has the cardio to sustain it over more than 1 round. This is Overeem's first truely dangerous opponent at HW, and I don't think he's going to win. Don't let the K-1 GP win fool you, JDS is keeping that belt, and he's winning that fight by knockout.

Jacknife

International Captain
JDS'll stand with Overeem, and he'll beat him on the feet too. I rate Overeem hugely, but JDS is going to be too quick, too powerful and too accurate for Alistair. Alistair is a beast, don't get me wrong, but his chin leaves a lot to be desired, he has a history of quitting in fights when he's being stomped on and he didn't look great in the later rounds against Werdum, so his gas tank is questionable too. JDS is going to pressure him, he's going to connect, and he has the cardio to sustain it over more than 1 round. This is Overeem's first truely dangerous opponent at HW, and I don't think he's going to win. Don't let the K-1 GP win fool you, JDS is keeping that belt, and he's winning that fight by knockout.
Don't agree with much of that to be honest, imo JDS stand up is massively overrated, he hangs his chin out, keeps his hands low and has trouble fighting on the back foot, he also hasn't fought anyone with the stand up skills of Overrem or comes close to it, Cro Cop would have done prime but not when he fought JDS.

I don't get when you say don't be fooled by the K-1 GP win, what does that mean?, you don't win those things by just turning up and the guys involved have striking skills most of the guys in MMA can only dream of, I mean the dude got to the semi finals the year before so it's no fluke and all it proves is that he has elite level stand up. The way he dispatched of Badi Hari in 2008 was amazing after the **** talking Hari had done.

Anyway this is MMA fight and imo if the fight stays on the fight Overeem will get the better of him and I reckon he'll chop his legs from underneath him. What Overeem has to watch out for off JDS is his left cross and uppercut, which imo are his best punches, he doesn't throw hardly any kicks and so if Overeem can work on his legs it will slow him down.

If it goes to the ground it gets more tricky to decide, JDS is meant to have a decent ground game, a brown belt and just off the back who he trains with he should be decent. Overeem years ago down at light heavy used to be very good on the floor and had a sick guillotine and armbar, I think people have forgotten how decent he was on the deck. I don't see anything wrong with Overeem's gas tank tbh it's not any worse than JDS any how.

At the end of the day if either lands the other will be in trouble but I just can't look past Overeem, the fighter he is today is nothing like the skinny Light heavy weight from years ago, he's matured into a monster and his confidence and self belief are on another level from the Pride days.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Alistair has certainly improved, I love watching him fight and consider myself a big Reem fan, but I don't see this monumental improvement that many seem to. As far as I can see, he's pretty much the same fighter, that has improved his stand-up, and improved his strength and conditioning routine. I think people have been fooled by the muscle gain, and run of victories over average competition (bar Lesnar) into thinking Alistair is some unbeatable monster, which just isn't the case. Alistair's chin still has question marks surrounding it, and he has a history of quitting when fights aren't going his way. Look at his fights with Chuck Liddell, Sergei Kharitonov, Shogun Rua, and Ricardo Arona went. He took shots from top level guys, and buckled.

He might have a more diverse range of strikes than JDS, but that means very little when the guy standing in front of you has the ability to eat up those strikes, and blast you with the very high level single striking dimension he possesses. Dos Santos has blasted excellent strikers in Cro Cop and Yvel, put flawless beatings on Carwin and Nelson, brutally knocked out Velasquez, Werdum, Struve and Gonzaga and made Cro Cop quit. JDS is the real deal, and I think we're going to see just how good his striking is when he puts a beating on Overeem. Alistair's leg kicks have never been his main weapons, he mainly uses his knees, and his punches. I don't see him being quick enough to out-land JDS in the punches, nor get inside quickly enough to gain the clinch, and blast JDS with the uberknees; and even if he does, I can see JDS taking them, and continuing to move forward. Dos Santos can take a shot! Also, I see cardio definitely playing a part. Alistair does not have the same cardio as JDS. He slowed down hugely in round 3 of a fairly slow fight against Werdum. JDS blasted Nelson for 3 rounds without slowing down at all, and he only slightly slowed against Carwin after putting everything into trying to finish early in the fight. In the cardio department, Alistair's size does not play in his favour, he's slower than JDS to begin with, so if he cannot maintain his conditioning after Round 2, if the fight is still going then, we could really see JDS putting some punishment on him, Alistair will slow.

As for the K-1 comment; don't get me wrong, it's a massive achievement for an MMA fighter to transition to K-1 and take the GP, but it was probably the least impressive K-1 field in history. The 2 best guys in that GP fought eachother in the quarter finals, Gokhan Saki and Daniel Ghita, and that hugely assisted Alistair in getting to the final. Gokhan was badly injured after the Ghita fight, only having use of 1 arm, yet he was still beating Alistair up. If Gokhan Saki was healthy going into that fight, he'd have beaten Alistair, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Then in the final he gets drawn against a worn out 40 year old Peter Aerts who'd just had a war with Semmy Schilt, it's not like he took out Hari, Hug and Hoost. Sure, he beat the guys put in front of him, but I'm not sure it's as impressive a feat as people are making out. Still an impressive achievement don't get me wrong, and he is one of the elite strikers in all of MMA (certainly in my Top 3) but not quite as impressive as a lot are making out.

I don't want this to appear like I'm hating on Alistair, I'm not, I just think people need to be a little more realistic. Alistair is not unbeatable, he does have flaws. He might be built like a greek god, and be on a run of decisive victories, but there are ways to beat him, and I just think JDS has the skills to take him out. It's going to be an awesome fight no matter what the outcome though, this is the best HW MMA Fight of all-time, I can't wait for it!

Jacknife

International Captain
Don't get me wrong I don't think Overeem is a unbeatable monster far from it, I reckon Barnett would give him a proper run for his money but I have doubts about JDS just like I did about Velasquez but we'll see.
I hope it turns out to be what everyone thinks it will be, all stand up war, personally I reckon the Fedor v Cro Cop battle from Pride in 2005 will take some beating as my all time favorite HW fight mind.

Uppercut

Hmm, I think you're underplaying Overeem's kicks KP. And the fact that he's buffed up into a ridiculously-proportioned beast, saying that he's "improved his strength and conditioning routine" doesn't really do it justice. Focusing too hard on the technical side of MMA can blind you to the fact that being that much bigger than the other guy is a pretty major advantage.

Jacknife

International Captain
LOL Rumble Johnson's moved up to Middle weight and has some how managed to weigh in 11lbs overweight for tonight's fight, must be some kind of record that.

Majin

International Debutant
Well that was one of the craziest events i've ever seen xD holy ****. quick thoughts:

part of me wants to enjoy the Barboza KO of Etim because it was ****ing awesome, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I could because I legit thought Etim was dead. I felt a little sick watching some of the replays, it was a horrible way to fall. Amazing KO though. I hope Etim is okay.

Erick Silva got screwed, and I like what i've seen of him. hope to see him again soon.

I love Paul Harris, he is amazing random Incredible Hulk brazilian, is an utter psycho as well haha.

God damn I was so pumped when Vitor sunk that choke in on that fat **** johnson. I hope the UFC cut him and don't let him back unless he's willing to sign a contract to only fight in the HW division. He is literally the worst person ever. Lot of controversy i've seen so far about the quick standups but honestly, I don't give a ****.

Jose Aldo, what a monster. That KO shocked me more than the Barboza one, just because of how close to the end of the round it was. Beautiful knee and the followup punch aboslutely crushed Mendes, was amazing. His insane crowd storming antics were hilarious as well. Love the Brazilian crowd as well, they're the best.

Yeah that whole event was nuts, I really enjoyed it.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just caught the Jones v Machida fight from UFC 140. Elbow to open up Machida's forehead was brutal, nice finish too to choke him out.

Burgey

Who was the lightweight who produced the spinning back kick for the KO yesterday?

FMD that was clean as a whistle.