• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Makhaya Ntini appreciation thread

Slow Love™

International Captain
that is exactly what i felt when i read his post and why i asked my question about him already making up his mind....
Most of us do that to an extent though in high profile crime allegations don't we? For example, I have an opinion of Michael Jackson's innocence, do you? What about OJ Simpson or Robert Blake? I don't blame anybody for having reservations about such a situation - we all know just how hard it is to secure rape convictions in any part of the world. What I was more alluding to was the suggestion of legal corruption in the description of Ntini's appeal as "shadowy".

Anyway, maybe an appreciation thread is the wrong place for such a topic. Congrats to Ntini for his well-deserved 300. He's obviously getting better and better with the passing of time. :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Agreed.

Also, because what I'd heard somewhere seems to have been a red herring, I'll delete my earlier post.

Congratulations to Makhaya.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™;1053150 said:
One thing I'm a bit confused by though is the description of Ntini's appeal as "shadowy" (which might have prompted shortpitched's reaction). What does that mean, exactly? I know a little about the case, and I've never heard it described in that way. Surely a bit of an insinuation?
I see that the word shadowy could cause rubblings. Simply I meant that given the political and PR pressures of the case and the corruption in the SA legal system there will always be questions over a sentance overturned on appeal when a high profile rolemodel and darling of the ruling party is involved. Im not actually casting doubt on Ntini himself, but if he had done it or someone simliar had, I have little doubt a similar proccess would have followed. The criticism is of the system rather than Ntini as the influential guilty and the innocent are often teated the same.

Slow Love™;1053232 said:
Most of us do that to an extent though in high profile crime allegations don't we? For example, I have an opinion of Michael Jackson's innocence, do you? What about OJ Simpson or Robert Blake? I don't blame anybody for having reservations about such a situation - we all know just how hard it is to secure rape convictions in any part of the world. What I was more alluding to was the suggestion of legal corruption in the description of Ntini's appeal as "shadowy".
To be frank I have no idea or any opinion on his guilt or innocence. I actually dont know enough about the case to form an opinion. I mention it because a) More people than you think didnt know it happened and b) to illustrate that it is worrying to comment on a players character without knowing them.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's nothing more I can't stand than someone saying that so-and-so is a bad guy because he wouldn't sign an autograph.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You may want to edit the quote in Richard's post then Jack. :p

Especially given the nature of it.
Exactly...

I'm now rather confused... I can't even remember what was in the post Jack edited (and which I've now deleted)... maybe someone can send me an email.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sure...and anyone can hold any opinion whether it's a high or low profile case, but he says he doesn't have one and then goes on to make some hints as well on the side that indicated he did have one, that's what provoked my question, anyway as you said, not a good thing to drag this on in his appreciation thread, so i will stop....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
anyway as you said, not a good thing to drag this on in his appreciation thread, so i will stop....
So you'd think it was not a good thing to drag something similar on in an appreciation thread if someone got an appreciation thread despite having at one time been convicted beyond all doubt of serious GBH, for instance...?

The idea of this forum is that you discuss whatever you want, whenever you want, within obviously the bounds of reason.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I kind of had an inkling when I created this that we would be talking about rape within a few days..

He's just taken 4/44

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In a match his coach didn't even want him playing in...

Sadly, 'tis a fact of humanity that while people do wondrous deeds, they also make mishaps... and you can't separate 'em.