• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Magnus Effect- swinging balls.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This isn't why balls swing but it is why spinning deliveries get lateral drift before pitching.
I could be way off target but could mastery of this skill be what made SF Barnes so good? And maybe Bill O'Reilly? I mean, bowling quick spin isn't that effective, but maybe something in their action caused this kind of drift…I dunno, someone more science-y might correct me here.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I could be way off target but could mastery of this skill be what made SF Barnes so good? And maybe Bill O'Reilly? I mean, bowling quick spin isn't that effective, but maybe something in their action caused this kind of drift…I dunno, someone more science-y might correct me here.
In Barnes' time the terminology was a lot less standard for obvious reasons, but I think if you find a mention of 'swerve' then they are generally talking about what we'd now call drift.

Howe_zat

Audio File
My best guess is that Mural's unorthodox use of his right index finger across the front of the ball has dragged it into a topspinner of sorts that angles in, as his finger is dragging the top of the ball across to leg along with the arm. But it's really hard to see.

watson

Banned
Liked the video Red Hill, and yes Barnes probably did beat the bat with some drift via the Magnus Effect.

Enigma Variations - The Deliveries of SF Barnes

A tall fellow of 6 ft 1in, Barnes bowled with a high action – he later spoke of hooking up with the sky as he delivered – and brought the ball down from a considerable height.

He must also have soon developed a huge amount of action on the ball because those who faced him describe how he got the ball to move away from the right hander before breaking back into him and others describe how the ball dipped late on them so that they would misread its length. These are descriptions of the Magnus Effect at work........

Again, with his long and strong figures he must have been able to impart considerable torque on the ball because opponents now spoke in awe of the in-swinging ball that pitched on or even outside leg stump but which broke across them to hit the top of the off-stump or find the end to the wicketkeeper or slip cordon. This is further evidence that there were enough revs on the ball to get the Magnus Effect to give the ball sideways momentum. (Is the Barnes fast leg-break prophetic of Bedser?)

The leg break was also bowled out of the front of the hand. The intriguing photograph below hints that the third and small finger of the right hand was held under the side of the ball and that the spin was imparted by these flicking upwards.

Backwatersman wonders whether these were breaks or cutters. Barnes is clear that they are breaks. Once asked whether Underwood’s cutters were similar to his bowling, SFB answered with disdain that he spun the ball........

https://downatthirdman.wordpress.com/2010/04/14/enigma-variations-s-f-barnes-and-a-mendis/

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
If the drift is really early and when the ball is still on the way up then it makes sense it would go the other way.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When I try to imitate MacGill's action I always get pretty significant 'opposite' drift. It's definitely not an angle illusion.