• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Kumar Sangakkara Fan Club

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
chooka_nick said:
Then Jayasuria and Sanga, in my eyes.
don't forget roshan mahnama. their version of aamir sohail. though better.

i also am a sangakarra fan, batting wise only. althought kaluwatharna was more atheletic, keeping wise. that run out in 1996 world cup...was just amazing.

EDIT: there was no such run out...the third umpire did not approve...but still probably one of the most athletic attempts ever. Jonty would have been humbled/blushing. Also looking back at it, gurusinha made a great contribution in that match...but i just dont remmber who he is!

Kamran akmal at the moment is the better allrounder in my opinon.

dinu23

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Most over-rated Sri Lankan batsman ever (based on this post)?
he may not have been a great batsman, due mainly to the selectors at that time who threw him from place to place in the batting order. but he was a superb fielder. the best ever in SL IMO.

Kalu is the best keeper produced by SL IMO and he was one of the best going around when he was playing.

Last edited:

dinu23

International Debutant
jack_sparrow said:
don't forget roshan mahnama. their version of aamir sohail. though better.

i also am a sangakarra fan, batting wise only. althought kaluwatharna was more atheletic, keeping wise. that run out in 1996 world cup...was just amazing.

EDIT: there was no such run out...the third umpire did not approve...but still probably one of the most athletic attempts ever. Jonty would have been humbled/blushing. Also looking back at it, gurusinha made a great contribution in that match...but i just dont remmber who he is!

Kamran akmal at the moment is the better allrounder in my opinon.
here's Gurusinha:

Attachments

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep vastly under-rated player worldwide. WIth the bat, he's excellent. More of a pure batsman than Gilly, I think (although Gilly is a better batsman overall, in my opinion).

However, his 'keeping hasn't really been up to his best this series. He's been serviceable but up to Murali even he's been a bit Mr Fumbles this summer.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
HE is no Dhoni or AA or Rikki Clarke. :D

He is an excellent cricketer but he is obviously not good enough to be a CW cult hero. ;)

Slow Love™

International Captain
I'm another fan of Sangakkara's. Not only does he have an enormous amount of talent, but he paces his innings expertly, and always seems to know what's called for in different situations.

The one thing that bothers me is that his face seems molded out of shiny plastic. Has anybody else noticed this? With the longer hair and the beard it was less pronounced, but right now his Channel Nine portrait looks like something that escaped from Madam Tussaud's.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Big fan of Sangkarra. He is actually married to a mate of mines cousin (lol, how far removed is that), anyway, he came down to a regular park cricket game when he was in Australia for the Tsunami benefit series, purely to thrill and surprise a bunch of twenty year olds.

Apparently the skipper from the other team was searching through the clauses of the local districts rule book on "invitational international players" untill he realised that the bloke wasn't going to be playing. Pure gold.

In terms of batting technique I have to say I'm a big fan, his cover drives, and his general strength in front of square on both sides of the wicket are hall marks of a quality player.

His keeping has certainly improved, however I do rate Kamran above all current keepers.

Another feather to young Sanga's bow is his intelligence. He's a thinking cricketer if ever there was one, and he certainly loves to have a bit of a chirp, and frankly thats exactly what Sri Lankan cricket need in a leader.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kumar is the man and will forever be the man. Mainly because I've been told by many that I look like him, but his batting has a little to do with it too. Those square drives, amazing.

Oh and SL you're back! :D However...
Slow Love™ said:
The one thing that bothers me is that his face seems molded out of shiny plastic. Has anybody else noticed this? With the longer hair and the beard it was less pronounced, but right now his Channel Nine portrait looks like something that escaped from Madam Tussaud's.
I hope that's not people mean when they say I look like him :ph34r:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nice to see a thread for the great man.

Also it seems that Ramdin must be the most underated keeper in the world. I would have him right up there and easierly infront of McCullum.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Jono said:
I hope that's not people mean when they say I look like him :ph34r:
Well, he actually has the looks of a pop star, so on that count, it can't be a bad thing. It's just that if you slapped him, half his face would probably cave in. :)

thierry henry

International Coach
Sangakkara is prolly my favourite cricketer in the world atm. Plenty of panache imo. Pretty much I just like him cos he talked to me for quite a while when I was pretty drunk at a bar in Hamilton, a really nice, articulate dood.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Kumar Sagkarra!!!!
Kumar Sagkarra!!!!
Kumar Sagkarra!!!!
Kumar Sagkarra!!!!
Kumar Sagkarra!!!!
Chaminda Vaas

shine

Cricket Spectator
thierry henry said:
Sangakkara is prolly my favourite cricketer in the world atm. Plenty of panache imo. Pretty much I just like him cos he talked to me for quite a while when I was pretty drunk at a bar in Hamilton, a really nice, articulate dood.
was he drunk too or was it just u?????? what were u 2 talking abt?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
the most devastating when he's on his game .. dhoni

Most devastating when the pitches are flat and the situation is not a test match fourth innings.

When I see Dhoni, I think of this little comment by Dhoni that I heard after those two shots at Mumbai:

"Pressure does things to you, it is hard to explain."

Yea, apparently one of the things it does is make you choke.