• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Katman farewell thread

TumTum

Banned
As the population ages, do any of you think 40 of today will become the 45 of tomorrow?

Because tbh I can see quite a few "aged" batsman playing for a long time.

Blaze 18

Banned
35 isn't that old, but it's still pretty old. Can't see him getting recalled, for my money.
I reckon he has a couple of years left in him. I don't think Australia will let go of him all that easily either, they need his experience.

Blaze 18

Banned
By the way, how serious is his injury ? If it is going to rule him out for say, six months, then it will be hard for him to make a comeback.

pasag

RTDAS
Hope he doesn't retire, he wasted so much good form not being able to go on and make big scores like he could in FC. Concur he might do well at 6 if things aren't going well when he gets better, but in all honesty we have so many other gaps to fill that if he can play for a few more years at his current standard then he should be welcomed back with open arms.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's only a partial tear apparently.
So was Pietersen's and it has taken him well over a year to get fully over his and get his form back.

Good luck to Katich, anybody who is ruthlessly torn apart like he was in 05 and has the ability to go away and completely reinvent himself as a bat is one tough cookie in my book.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope it's not his time yet, deserves a lot more than injury to be the end of him. One of the only Aussies I like, WAG.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have often hated on Katich, particularly when he was keeping both Hayden and Jaques out of the ODI setup in 2005/06, but he has been a good servant to Australian cricket and I wish him a speedy recovery. Hope that if he does come back it is because he forced his way back into the side based on scoring oodles of runs at state level.

pup11

International Coach
I don't think Katich is gonna play again, Hughes might or might not do well for Australia during the Ashes, but at 21 he is the future and not Katich.
Katman is right up there with some of my favourite Aussie cricketers, he might not have been the most naturally talented batsman around, but he more than made up for that with his resilience and determination, his effort in the field and then his batting performance in the 2nd innings at Adeliade summed up the man perfectly.

Mike5181

International Captain
As the population ages, do any of you think 40 of today will become the 45 of tomorrow?

Because tbh I can see quite a few "aged" batsman playing for a long time.
I think we are getting physically fitter/stronger as generations pass. Though I can't see Katich lasting more than a year really. Especially if the likes of Hughes and Khuwaja have a decent run- which they are likely to do judging by their records and the talent they possess.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's pretty likely that we (Au) lose the Ashes. If that happens, any batsmen 33 and over will have to beware as we might (should) go for a "youth policy" with a view to winning the Ashes back in 2012 and certainly in 2013 back home.

Remember that Bell, KP, Cook, Strauss & Collingwood were in the top six that got flogged 5-0 here 3 years ago. Sure, the bowling line-up has been completely changed and Prior & Trott have come into the side but to their credit, the Poms have persisted with these guys - picked a classy and relatively youthful side back then.

No doubt that Collingwood is a battler and his days must be numbered. Strauss isn't the most talented batsman you ever saw (stood up & showed some grit back in 2007) and he seems to have galvanised the team.

If (when) we lose these Ashes --->>> play the kids...

Except for a few exceptions, this is an England side that has the majority of its players under 30 years of age with 30-60 tests experience. In Australian Rules Football, we call this "the premiership window".

We are 3-5 years behind England in terms of our development.

tooextracool

International Coach
So was Pietersen's and it has taken him well over a year to get fully over his and get his form back.

Good luck to Katich, anybody who is ruthlessly torn apart like he was in 05 and has the ability to go away and completely reinvent himself as a bat is one tough cookie in my book.
Dont think he completely reinvented himself. The guy couldnt pick which way the ball was swinging in 2005 against some quality swing bowling and the odds are he'd probably struggle to do the same right now.

I've been a big fan of Katich since the India tour in 2003/04, but Australia really need to move on and blood some youngsters. Bringing Katich back at 36 or so is a real backward step.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Katich > Rogers > Jaques > Hughes.

Not least because he grabbed MClarke by the throat

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Katich > Rogers > Jaques > Hughes.

Not least because he grabbed MClarke by the throat
For failing to hold hands in the big team circle for the recitation of the Solemn Team Poem when Lara Bingle was waiting to **** his brains out? You've gotta be kidding, and I'm 100% with Pup on this one

Rant0r

International 12th Man
And where's she now ? That's right, she doesn't pay his bills, the Baggy Green does

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For failing to hold hands in the big team circle for the recitation of the Solemn Team Poem when Lara Bingle was waiting to **** his brains out? You've gotta be kidding, and I'm 100% with Pup on this one
:laugh:!!!