• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Great West Indian Team (1976-1995) vs Current Great Australian Side (1995 to Now)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at that first game, I wonder when the last time Australia lost by an innings was? Maybe in India some time?

Since they whitewash over 50% of their series these days I can't imagine it's happened that recently.

edit: answered my own question - March 1998 against India. The last time before that was when Curtley did his thing at Perth in 1992/93, so once in a decade. Not a bad run.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unfortunately, cricket is a game where too many people look at history through rose-coloured glasses.

Fairer minded people recognise that today's elite cricketers, in general, are substantially better athletes than those of the not-so-distant past (as they should be, given that they are full-time pros).

This is most clearly manifested in fielding standards. Today's teams would save 30 - 50 runs more per day than those of yesteryear, i.e. 50s to 70s. After all, it was only the early 70s that diving in the field was no longer actively discouraged.

Not only that, but they are substantially better prepared. Endless video and computer analysis leaves players with little room to hide IF the team has the talent to implement the plans.

The WI team of the 70-80s was a magnificent one - 4 great fast bowlers backed up by a brilliant yet underrated batting lineup. They were also the fore-runners of today's fielding techniques.

It was Australia's inability to cope with their talent that led to the professionalism we witness today.

Could their natural talent have matched it with the professionalism of a present-day Australian team that is arguably its talent equal albeit in different ways?

Possibly, cricketers of the stature of Richards, the bowlers, Greenidge, etc cant be dismissed lightly.

However, in all likelihood the present-day Aus line-up would wear them down through sheer consistency and the talent of Warne - a bowler of a type that they had trouble against and of a class that has never been seen before.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
well WI did collapse a few times in the face of good spin bowling.....but they made other sides collapse a lot too by the standard of their pace battery........take for example Perth and Sydney......if Sydney is made a wee bit more spin-friendly to facilitate Warne, i would call it in OZ's favour almost 95% of the time.....but Perth ? Not a snowball's chance in hell...that pitch is tailormaide for the WI quicks....
Then take Jamaica and bridgetown......bowlers with pace and bounce will murder batsmen here....and thats one area where WI trumps the OZ...awesome pace and bounce......

Warne might win one match on his own but WI wernt bad against quality spin really- they handled Bedi and Chandra really well.... ofcourse later on in the years they wernt so good but thats primarily because of the retirement of Lloyd and Kalli.......those two were the best WI players of spin by a fair distance and i dont think Warne would've posed much problem for them, especially Kalli...... and Richards was past his best after mid 80s....

As per WI pacers tiring......heh...OZ would do extremely well to last 100 overs against them....and those bowlers certainly had the stamina to bowl.

I've seen lot better players of pace get humbled by the four prong.......as per fielding goes.....i dont think anyone who's seen the WI unit can make that kinda comment....they were AMAZING fielders..... Lloyd was one of the BEST ever cover fielders and an excellent slipper...>Viv was an awesome slipper and so was Greenidge.......Dujon was definately as good as any with the glovework when it came to keeping to pacers....(and since they are playing 4 prong, it doesnt matter that Dujon couldnt keep to spinners)....
I dont think the WI would've whitewashed OZ or something...the OZ are too good for that...but i can see them win 3-1 or 2-1 against them....particularly at home.
Its one thing dealing with allan donald or curtley ambrose and wash or even the two Ws....
its a totally different ballgame dealing with four donalds or Wasims.......its that unending pressure of facing 2-3 genuine wicket-taking deliveries per over every over till you just go bleary was their forte.... and i dont think this OZ unit could stand up to that kinda punishment.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its one thing dealing with allan donald or curtley ambrose and wash or even the two Ws....
its a totally different ballgame dealing with four donalds or Wasims.......its that unending pressure of facing 2-3 genuine wicket-taking deliveries per over every over till you just go bleary was their forte.... and i dont think this OZ unit could stand up to that kinda punishment.
Christ mate, they weren't Gods! I mean, you're talking about a seriously talented group, the WI, who had natural athletic talent as well as mental toughness but the current Aussie team has both of those in spades as well.

I personally think you rate Gillespie far too lowly and I would hazard to say that the consistency of McGrath against the WI batsmen would be one heck of a contest. Guys like Greenidge and Haynes had the ability to hit most bowlers off their length but pit them against Gillespie and McGrath and, well, they wouldn't have it very easy. I don't know how they would go (too difficult to say) but as I said, it would be great to watch.

McGrath against Viv would be VERY interesting too. Viv's primary scoring strength were largely on the leg-side (particularly that amazing lofted flick), as was Greenidge's, but against McGrath and Gillespie, who deliberately bowl wide of off-stump consistently, he might have found it difficult. Of course, Viv would have adapted but then so would the Aussies. Viv vs Hadlee was about as close as one could get to Viv vs McGrath and Hadlee's consistency made life difficult for Viv so who knows?

I was about to write a long post detailing the contest as I would see it but I'm going to put it into an article instead. :D

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
well WI did collapse a few times in the face of good spin bowling.....but they made other sides collapse a lot too by the standard of their pace battery........take for example Perth and Sydney......if Sydney is made a wee bit more spin-friendly to facilitate Warne, i would call it in OZ's favour almost 95% of the time.....but Perth ? Not a snowball's chance in hell...that pitch is tailormaide for the WI quicks....
Then take Jamaica and bridgetown......bowlers with pace and bounce will murder batsmen here....and thats one area where WI trumps the OZ...awesome pace and bounce......

Warne might win one match on his own but WI wernt bad against quality spin really- they handled Bedi and Chandra really well.... ofcourse later on in the years they wernt so good but thats primarily because of the retirement of Lloyd and Kalli.......those two were the best WI players of spin by a fair distance and i dont think Warne would've posed much problem for them, especially Kalli...... and Richards was past his best after mid 80s....

As per WI pacers tiring......heh...OZ would do extremely well to last 100 overs against them....and those bowlers certainly had the stamina to bowl.

I've seen lot better players of pace get humbled by the four prong.......as per fielding goes.....i dont think anyone who's seen the WI unit can make that kinda comment....they were AMAZING fielders..... Lloyd was one of the BEST ever cover fielders and an excellent slipper...>Viv was an awesome slipper and so was Greenidge.......Dujon was definately as good as any with the glovework when it came to keeping to pacers....(and since they are playing 4 prong, it doesnt matter that Dujon couldnt keep to spinners)....
I dont think the WI would've whitewashed OZ or something...the OZ are too good for that...but i can see them win 3-1 or 2-1 against them....particularly at home.
Only trouble is you fail to understand that the WI never faced a team like Australia that was far more professional and have a team of fielders as good as if not better than Lloyd. WI were one dimensional in their game and that served them well in the period they played but it would be their downfall if they had to face up to Australia now. One thing that most well almost all people agree on is that Australia can adapt and change their game plan to suit every situation. The WI would struggle to get through their overs and would find it very hard to score.

Look at any sport and you will see that professionalism improves the game beyond doubt, Bannister broke the four minute mile and was an out and out champion but nowdays his times would not even qualify him for the olympics. Sport evolves and improves and the champions of the day are matched and surpassed, In 20 years time Australia today would probably be lucky to beat the fourth rated team.

Sorry C_C but you are still living in the 80's and cant see the forrest for the trees. WI were great and a champion team but what you need to come to terms with is WERE.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Look at any sport and you will see that professionalism improves the game beyond doubt, Bannister broke the four minute mile and was an out and out champion but nowdays his times would not even qualify him for the olympics. Sport evolves and improves and the champions of the day are matched and surpassed, In 20 years time Australia today would probably be lucky to beat the fourth rated team.
I don't really think this is a valid comparison. Bannister competed in a sport which was purely about physical prowess and a race against the clock, while cricket is quite different. Not only it is a team sport that involves competiting in a game rather than just running for a time, but there are elements of the game which aren't at all guaranteed to improve over time, such as hand-eye-coordination and so forth. I have no doubt that players today bowl faster, field better and so on than they did in Bradman's era or even Richards, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily better players. Why would the development of a professional attitude necessarily make a player a better batsman, given that most of batting is hand-eye co-ordination and concentration? I think general skill levels are a touch higher than in previous eras, and the more complete professionalism of modern players makes a difference, but not anywhere near as much as you suggest.

C_C

International Captain
I personally think you rate Gillespie far too lowly
no i dont... he is an excellent bowler....however, he would struggle to get a shout at barbados full XI let alone WI.......Roberts, Garner, Ambrose,Marshall,Croft,Holding were EASILY better than gillchrist and the talk is best WI team of that period vs best OZ team of their period....
Essentially OZ have two bowlers comparable/better than the WI FOUR : McGrath and Warne....Gillespie might take a fivefer but i dont see him average under 30 against the WI.

I would hazard to say that the consistency of McGrath against the WI batsmen would be one heck of a contest.
Indeed...i see him being quiete successful too....but i see Marshall being extremely successful and neutralising McGrath.....Warne...about as successful as Ambrose/Garner or even a wee bit more.....but Garner/Roberts beat the pants off Dizzy and Kaspa....by a longshot.

McGrath against Viv would be VERY interesting too. Viv's primary scoring strength were largely on the leg-side (particularly that amazing lofted flick), as was Greenidge's, but against McGrath and Gillespie, who deliberately bowl wide of off-stump consistently, he might have found it difficult.
Disagree.... Viv used to flick sixes through midwicket(only Laxman can replicate that shot with consistency) but he had an AWESOME coverdrive as well.....Kapil and Hadlee used to bowl wide off ofstump too and WI didnt do badly against them.

Only trouble is you fail to understand that the WI never faced a team like Australia that was far more professional and have a team of fielders as good as if not better than Lloyd.
If you had seen the likes of Lloyd, Viv, Greenidge, Haynes,Logie(12th man) etc. on the field, you wouldnt make that comment....Lloyd was easily the BEST fielder at cover i've seen...by a longshot. Viv was as good as Taylor or Mark Waugh at the slips if not better....and Logie was in the Jonty Rhodes category except that he could field anywhere...
WI are were easily a better fielding side than OZ.....its not even close and the only side i have seen that can seriously challenge WI in the field are RSA of the mid/late 90s after Gibbs arrived.

WI were one dimensional in their game and that served them well in the period they played but it would be their downfall if they had to face up to Australia now.
highly doubt it. One dimentional or not, they were simply the BEST DAMN BOWLING UNIT EVER to take the cricket field. They would just pummell the OZ into submission 9 outta 10 times.

The WI would struggle to get through their overs and would find it very hard to score.
again, doubt it. WI had slow overrate because they did not have any overs restrictions.After overrates were introduced, WI were within limits... However, it rarely mattered as WI bowled out teams even with their slow overrate....infact a faster overrate would be even worse for the Aussies.

That is not always true and i believe that the level of cricket has gone down from the 80s and not up...the general trend maybe towards the top but this period is definately a dip in terms of quality.
I can see the RSA unit of the late 60s/70s/early 80s giving ANY TEAM a run for its money and same with the WI.... whether the 4th ranked team 25 years from now would be better than current day OZ is debatable but i certainly know from observing cricket that the level of cricket played by THIS OZ team is on par or slightly lower than the WI of the past.

WI were great and a champion team but what you need to come to terms with is WERE.
Right. And where did i say that they ARE currently ? we ARE pitting the old WI against current OZ , are we not ?

Alan Donalds average against Australia is over 30 in tests.
bad example then. but then again, being alone is a helluva lot easier to be neutralised than having 4 bowlers of your callibre terrorising the opposition.
Watch some tapes from the 80s or 70s to get an idea... if you are capable of honest and unbiassed evaluation(which i highly doubt), you will find that the WI bowling unit is simply too far ahead of the OZ today....far enough that minor batting differences could be easily neutralised and then some.

C_C

International Captain
I think general skill levels are a touch higher than in previous eras, and the more complete professionalism of modern players makes a difference, but not anywhere near as much as you suggest.
I agree to an extent...i dont find cricket to be linear in terms of quality...either backwards or forwards.... i think that the quality of cricket played peaked in the 75-85 range and then again briefly in the mid90s-late 90s...... this era is like a worse case scenario than the early 70-72/73 period when there was a dearth of good bowlers....Underwood,Bedi and Chandra apart, all the others were either nearing the end and past their best (John Snow for eg.) or newbies who went the 'great force' as we came to know them but just bright young upstarts(Lillee,Roberts,Imran etc.).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Indeed...i see him being quiete successful too....but i see Marshall being extremely successful and neutralising McGrath.....Warne...about as successful as Ambrose/Garner or even a wee bit more.....but Garner/Roberts beat the pants off Dizzy and Kaspa....by a longshot.
Interesting that you rate Roberts higher than Gillespie as someone who relies so heavily on stats, given that he played in a period of arguably better batting lineups and definately far flatter pitches and nevertheless has a lower average. In this respect, McGrath's 21.35 stands up pretty well against Marshall's 20.95 and Holding's 23.69 as well.

C_C

International Captain
Interesting that you rate Roberts higher than Gillespie as someone who relies so heavily on stats, given that he played in a period of arguably better batting lineups and definately far flatter pitches and nevertheless has a lower average. In this respect, McGrath's 21.35 stands up pretty well against Marshall's 20.95 and Holding's 23.69 as well.
I use stats a lot but i also apply them with the appropriate asterixes..... Roberts initially was the sole striker in the team and played a few seasons with Holder and Julien as his ball partners....plus Roberts tarried a season or two too late and that brought down his figues considerably......I take into consideration stuff like injuries, bowling load, strength of the opposition etc. as well.

And yes...McGrath stands up pretty well against Marshall, he is an alltime great in my books and in the top 5 pacers ever category....i rate him better than Lillee as well...though personally i would give it to Macco by a whisker.......he was a tad more versatile and performed extremely well against every single opposition.....his highest ave is 23+ i think and his lowest is 19+ vs ENG.....

But since this thread is about best team from 76-95 for the WI and 95-current for the OZ, the WI bowling lineup would most likely be Marshall,Ambrose, Holding and Garner.....
Marshall and Ambrose are each a match for McGrath.....so head to head, i see Marshall neutralising McGrath, Ambrose compensating for Warne or the 'Warne effect' being a tad bigger but Holding and Garner blowing Dizzy and Kaspa outta the ballpark......
so its essentially 2-0 or 2-0.5 for the WI.........

Also if you are talking WI vs OZ in this case...say there is 1 5 test series home and away.....
OZ venues would probably be Sydney,WACA,MCG, Gabba and Hobart/Adelaide
WI venues would probably be Barbados,Sabina Park, QPO, Guyana and antigua/St.Lucia.....

out of those grounds, Antigua,Guyana and Adelaide are typically batting pitches and it could go either way....Sydney would be the likeliest place for AUS victory......while WACA,Sabina and barbados would most likely be WI places for victory........simply because those pitches are fast and bouncy pitches for the most part and that was the fundamental strength of the WI bowling : fast and bounce.....so even venues-wise, i see WI having the upper hand.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
The WI would go to water once their fast bowlers tired as they had nothing else to offer.
So how come that didn't ever happen when they had their 4 pronged attack then?

social

How did this become a comparison between the best WI had to offer over a generation of players and the present Australian team?

If we're being consistent, Australia could choose a bowling attack from McGrath, Gillespie, Kaspa, Warne pre-injury (by far the most lethal spinner ever), 160 k Lee, fit Steve Waugh, Hughes, McDermott, MacGill etc, etc

I dont care what combination of WI bowlers you throw up, there is no way a competition between these attacks, when backed up by the best of the available batsmen is any worse than even money for Australia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well seeing as you're now selecting 8 bowlers, I don't see how the batting is going to be better.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
But since this thread is about best team from 76-95 for the WI and 95-current for the OZ, the WI bowling lineup would most likely be Marshall,Ambrose, Holding and Garner.....
Yeah, well you were comparing Roberts and Garner to Gillespie and Kasprowicz in your last post.

Anyway, if we are taking composite sides from the whole dominant period I think the West Indies have a stronger side, because they can bring in the likes of Lara and Ambrose, who are greats in their own right of a completely different era. The area where Australia has it over the WI side of the 80s is in their batting depth with Gilchrist and the Warne factor. The top Australian side in my view is from the 2001 series, and I think the strongest West Indies side is probably the one that toured Australia in 84/85.

This side was Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson, Richards, Gomes, Lloyd, Dujon, Marshall, Holding, Garner, Walsh. Now, I think this matches up pretty evenly with the Australian team of Langer, Hayden, Ponting, M. Waugh, S. Waugh, Martyn, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee, Gillespie, McGrath. The bowling breaks fairly even in my book, with McGrath and Gillespie close to a match for Marshall and Holding, and Warne's variation and ability to exploit the Windies weakness against leg-spin making up for the fact that Garner is better than Lee. Walsh at this point was far from a world class bowler.

In terms of batting it could certainly be said that Richards is better than anyone in the Australian side and that Lloyd, Greenidge and Richardson match up pretty well against the Waughs and one of the openers too, but Haynes is not up to the Hayden/Langer standard in my view, and Gomes has nothing on Martyn. Gilchrist tilts the whole batting issue in Australia's favour.

In my view, these are evenly matched sides and I'd give anything to watch them play, but the composite WI team has an extra generation to add on to an already great side, and leaves the Australian team from the 95-05 period for dead because the relative weaknesses in Gomes and Walsh get filled with two extra members of the all-time WI XI.

C_C

International Captain
How did this become a comparison between the best WI had to offer over a generation of players and the present Australian team?
it didnt.... its 95 OZ to present vs 76 WI to 95

For the OZ, Lee would never make it, not unless you wanna see his deliveries repeatedly disappear over square leg for hooked sixes ( Greenidge,Richards,Lloyd and Kalli played the hook shot exceedingly well)... And Warne-McGrath-Dizzy are easily the three best OZ bowlers during the period.....for my 4th bowler i would actually go with Damien Fleming but dosnt matter if its Fleming or Kaspa.......both get outclassed by a huge distance by Garner/Holding...Dont think McGill would be a good choice...simply because he bowls a one 'gimme' ball per over and WI of the past mostly ran into trouble against quality spinners due to sustained accuracy and rythm from the spinners. McDermott...well he was really a spent force by 95 so i dont see how he would make it.

As per easily the most leathal spinner, i dont agree...i think the early 2000s murali is easily the most lethal spinner ever.

And yes...OZ have tad superior batting strength, mainly due to the Gilly factor.....but i think the WI outgun the OZ bowling by a bigger distance than the OZ superiority over batting and i think in fielding, the WI have an edge...especially if they bring on Logie and Harper as substitute fielders....those two were electric and easily in the highest bracket of fielding callbre cricket has ever witnessed.

C_C

International Captain
Anyway, if we are taking composite sides from the whole dominant period I think the West Indies have a stronger side, because they can bring in the likes of Lara and Ambrose, who are greats in their own right of a completely different era.The area where Australia has it over the WI side of the 80s is in their batting depth with Gilchrist and the Warne factor
Agreed on Lara though not on Ambrose...Ambrose played for a good 4-5 years with the oldies but yes, he caught the tail end of the WI dominant wind.

Again, agree on the Gilly factor but Warne factor is largely neutralised/mostly neutralised by the presence of Ambrose...... and i dont think Gilly factor is enough to counteract the sheer domination of the 3rd/4th WI bowler over their aussie counterparts.

I think the strongest West Indies side is probably the one that toured Australia in 84/85.
I disagree...i think the one that had croft-holding-garner-roberts as the main bowlers was the best.

The bowling breaks fairly even in my book, with McGrath and Gillespie close to a match for Marshall and Holding,
Mate, that is an insult to Holding.....at his best, Holding was as good as ANYBODY on this planet and he could blow away/terrorise the batting line no one else. His over to Close, his over to Boycott, etc were legendary and he gave the most trouble to Gavaskar-the batsman who handled the WI bowling the best throughout the years(even if you take out his stats against 'weakened WI bowling').
I pesonally wouldnt put Dizzy anywhere CLOSE to holding........its almost as farcial as putting Gilly's glovework in the same arena as Marsh's or Healey's....
Dizzy at his raging best is a poor imitation of Holding at his best and he has a lot more 'off days' than Holding did.

Haynes is not up to the Hayden/Langer standard in my view, and Gomes has nothing on Martyn. Gilchrist tilts the whole batting issue in Australia's favour.
Disagree on Haynes but agree on Gomes......and i think the weakest batting performer-from either side- would most probably be Hayden....he struggled mightily against Akhtar's pace and Ambrose's bounce.....well in this situation he is facing Ambrosian bounce from ALL four players and Akhtar's pace from Holding...who was a much more accurate bowler.
in other words, Hayden is toast.

But even if one were to go by all WI players who were playing from the specified period to their debut in 1987 ( 10-11 year period), you come up with this following side:

Haynes
Greenidge
Kallicharan
Richards
Richardson
Lloyd*
Dujon+
Marshall
Ambrose
Holding
Garner

And while the batting advantage of OZ would largely come down to Gilly i think Holding/Garner have too much advantage over Dizzy and Kaspa/Fleming.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As I said, a composite WI lineup from their entire period of domination is a stronger side than anything Australia can offer as a composite side, but I think that 2001 Australian side is a match for any specific WI lineup from within the 76-95 period.

Swervy

International Captain
tis a bit silly comparing the best of WI 76-95 and Australia 95-now....thats 19 years vs 10 years(approx 100 WI players compared to maybe 45 players) ...its pretty obvious that a select team from those 19 years is going to be superior to one over the last 10 years...who knows what great players Australia may produce in the next 9 years..maybe great players of fast bowling, the type of players who could counter the type of bowling the WI's back then used....this comparison is completely tilted towards the WI's.

In my opinion (CC ,I am not going off highlight film or scorecards or whatever, I am going off watching those WI's teams live, there and then,in Australia, England and WI..)this Australian team could cope much better with the great WI's attacks than most could at the actual time. WI's main tool was intimidation,and slowing things up...so that they could use the 4 pronged attack all day,they sometimes bowled at 10 overs an hour, that wouldnt be tolerated match after match these days.That WI attack wouldnt be as effective at a faster overrate and on todays shirt front pitches.

On the intimidation side of things..well I dont think this Australia side would curl up like most did in the 80's in the face of persistant short pitched bowling (which is, today, much more strictly contrlled anyway)....no team back then attempted to score quickly(survival was the main priority) vs WI,this Australian team would take the attack to them..it would be very interesting to see how the WIs would cope with that.

Someone mentioned the fielding....I can guarantee you that the ground fielding of the Australian is superior to the WIs of years ago

social

C_C said:
Dont think McGill would be a good choice...simply because he bowls a one 'gimme' ball per over and WI of the past mostly ran into trouble against quality spinners due to sustained accuracy and rythm from the spinners..
Which quality spinners played at their peak during this period?

Answer: One - Abdul Qadir and he lost the plot as often as not.

The WI were a magnificent team but average at best against even the mediocre spinners of this period.

Warne, IMO, is the best ever and MacGill has the best strike rate of any spinner since 1900 and is a leg-spinner.

The Australians, on the other hand, are fine players of pace.

People keep mentioning Hayden but Slater, at his best, was the pick of the crop until personal problems and injuries took their toll.

And until a couple of years ago, the Australians were regarded as the best fielding team ever.

On every Australian ground, bar Perth, Australia would be at least joint favourites and unbackable in Sydney.

In WI, the equation is muddied somewhat by the small grounds.