• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Final: France vs NZ

ripper868

International Coach
The issue was crossing the 40m or Halfway line - something Ali Williams is yet to be pulled up for (on 3 separate occasions)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought the French response to the haka was phenomenal. The reaction in the crowd was immense.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The issue was crossing the 40m or Halfway line - something Ali Williams is yet to be pulled up for (on 3 separate occasions)
Pretty sure Williams has been pulled up for it before... Doesn't seem to stop him though.

The only issue I have with France's response is that it is banned to cross that halfway line. If it's okay, then afford every team the ability to cross the halfway line to respond to the Haka. Every other team obeyed the law in the tournament - including France in the pool stages; doesn't give them the right to do it in the Final. That said, I don't know why crossing the halfway line has been outlawed.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
I thought the French response to the haka was phenomenal. The reaction in the crowd was immense.
Agreed. Not sure if the holding hands V was the best way to approach it - linked arms works best IMO.

Have been a few challenges thrown back at the Haka recently - Australia staring down in Brisbane set the tone of the night as well - remember Wales did something similar a couple of years back as well - for about 3 minutes!

Athlai

Not Terrible
Agreed. Not sure if the holding hands V was the best way to approach it - linked arms works best IMO.

Have been a few challenges thrown back at the Haka recently - Australia staring down in Brisbane set the tone of the night as well - remember Wales did something similar a couple of years back as well - for about 3 minutes!
Was straight out of The Mighty Ducks IMO. Flying V!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure Williams has been pulled up for it before... Doesn't seem to stop him though.

The only issue I have with France's response is that it is banned to cross that halfway line. If it's okay, then afford every team the ability to cross the halfway line to respond to the Haka. Every other team obeyed the law in the tournament - including France in the knockout stages; doesn't give them the right to do it in the Final. That said, I don't know why crossing the halfway line has been outlawed.
Yep Williams has been fined a few times IIRC for passing beyond the AB 10 metre line, despite being told not to. Apparently France, as the team receiving the challenge, were permitted to walk up to the halfway line but not beyond it, and thats why they got fined. Bit ridiculous IMO, although I don't imagine the fines will be extreme.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year

Heres the Welsh reponse: wales haka response - YouTube

centurymaker

International Captain
France has been fined 10,000 pounds for their response to the haka.

I understand why the authorities are worried something might spill over, but I thought the response was fantastic. I mean, the Haka is like a challenge laid down by one side, and it's a bit ordinary to deny the other side a reasonable response to it. I'm not up on the ettiquette of it all, but I didn't see anything disrespectful in what the French did (perhaps NZ supporters can clarify).

IIRC a few years back one of the teams (it may even have been Australia) copped it for turning their backs on the Haka. I can see how that's disrespctful tbh, but to then deprive the opposition of the chance to meet the challenge of it seems a bit ordinary, provided of course it's not OTT.

And I didn't think France's reaction was at all.
yeah it was great to see france coming up.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, i don't see anything wrong with what they did. It set the tone for the game. We throat cut and stuff but they get fined for walking over half way? Seems a bit harsh.

Howe_zat

Audio File

The only issue I have with France's response is that it is banned to cross that halfway line. If it's okay, then afford every team the ability to cross the halfway line to respond to the Haka. Every other team obeyed the law in the tournament - including France in the pool stages; doesn't give them the right to do it in the Final. That said, I don't know why crossing the halfway line has been outlawed.
Yeah, we all knew they were technically breaking the rules, so they were bound to cop something for it. A case of the law itself being annoying rather than the enforcement of it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, i don't see anything wrong with what they did. It set the tone for the game. We throat cut and stuff but they get fined for walking over half way? Seems a bit harsh.
I thought the throat cutting was banned at one point - but we kept on doing it for cultural reaons.

Somers to comment....

Personally I thought it was OTT when Nonu made the throat slitting motion and pointed at one of the French guys.

If i were the NZRU I would pay half the fine. How much is it by the way
one network news said it was 5000

Athlai

Not Terrible
I thought the throat cutting was banned at one point - but we kept on doing it for cultural reaons.

Somers to comment....

Personally I thought it was OTT when Nonu made the throat slitting motion and pointed at one of the French guys.

If i were the NZRU I would pay half the fine. How much is it by the way
one network news said it was 5000
Na that lock he pointed at is such a ****.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the authorities are so worried about the response to the Haka then the logical thing to do is ban it (not my preference btw) and let the ABS do what every other o****ry has to, and butcjer the national anthem then just kick off.