• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Draft

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jamee999 said:
There's keeping ability.
It's all part of the fielding ability.

And someone who isn't a top class fielder but was counted as a part-time keeper would actually then be rated above any fielder in history.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Only 1 of those 3 is a keeper in the game.

And if players want to go in with one keeper and he gets injured, they'll have to muddle through the best they can...

Dravid holds the record for most runs conceeded by his team while letting through no byes or something like that i think (in the order of 650 i think)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It's all part of the fielding ability.

And someone who isn't a top class fielder but was counted as a part-time keeper would actually then be rated above any fielder in history.
I can safely presume that Walcott is a top class fielder and part-time/average keeper?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I thought it was someone bizarre like Parthiv Patel (and didn't Geraint Jones comes close during the Lara 400?)

Blaze

Banned
Looking at the squads I think the strongest opponent I will come up against will be the Western Vikings at this stage. Who does everyone else think has the strongest squad? (apart from their own side obviously)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Leistershire Foxes and Great Northern CC look like the strongest to me. I think the Vikings might be a bit weak in terms of batting in comparison.

Blaze

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Leistershire Foxes and Great Northern CC look like the strongest to me. I think the Vikings might be a bit weak in terms of batting in comparison.

After taking a closer look I think you could be right. Although really I think it's quite hard to pick a winner or even a favourite at this stage. Just interested in everyones thoughts.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I have done a rough and ready averaging of the skills - be interesting to see if that combines with other people's views when all 16 are selected.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I have done a rough and ready averaging of the skills - be interesting to see if that combines with other people's views when all 16 are selected.
Are you going to be adjusting the skill levels of the players aside from bringing SMs back into line?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not a great deal, although certain players who haven't played that many games are likely to be changed slightly if they've had a lot of games against the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Not a great deal, although certain players who haven't played that many games are likely to be changed slightly if they've had a lot of games against the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.
What about guys that played a lot of matches against similar quality sides in the past, such as early sides from South Africa, New Zealand and Sri Lanka. Or is it only done to players that have played against the current Zimbabwe and Bangladesh sides?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
What about guys that played a lot of matches against similar quality sides in the past, such as early sides from South Africa, New Zealand and Sri Lanka. Or is it only done to players that have played against the current Zimbabwe and Bangladesh sides?
Very good point. If you are going to adjust stats for players that played against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe you should do the same to Bradman's stats against South Africa, West Indies and India. Only his stats against England should be counted as the other teams he faced during his time were on par with Bangladesh & Zimbabwe of today.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
His average of 88 against England and West Indies, isn't going to change anything, he still will be a freak, unless the other batsmen don't hang around with him. 88 or 99, its all the same.