• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the dirty cheats were always dirty cheats before the dirty cheat test

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
which team is the dirtiest?

I mean, not in terms of cheating, but in terms of when you look at them you think "would prob soil my hands if I touched them"

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The English. I assume it's an effect of the miserable climate and their medieval bathing frequencies. Do people still get married in spring because it lines up with their yearly bath?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eh, wait what? That's decent non-sequitur. DRS being available worldwide doesn't reduce predictive uncertainties. More cameras can reduce these, but they're still there.

Tom Flint

International Regular
The English. I assume it's an effect of the miserable climate and their medieval bathing frequencies. Do people still get married in spring because it lines up with their yearly bath?
I doubt your country even knew what a bath was until we showed you

TheJediBrah

No one had to "forgive" Faf because he was never demonized in the first place. Everyone moved on immediately.

Daemon

Faf
- no previous dodgy behaviour
- had the balls to do it himself
- is a cool guy
- nice rig

Warner/Smith
- coerced young player to do it (warner)
- history of cheating (smith)
- history of cheating (australia)
- hilarious because of the whole hard but fair thing
- method of cheating was incredibly idiotic

Starfighter

Yeah nah. Faf was caught twice - years apart as well, and Philander was caught as well. It was certainly just a systematic in SA, just less inept.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Without going into the nationalistic crap that this usually boils down to, is it like the umpires and the cricket community itself views attempts to keep the shine on the ball as less of an offence than attempts to rough up the ball to get it to reverse? If you look at the incidents that had the worst stigma associated to them, its usually Athers dirt in pocket, the bottle top of Pak fast bowlers' pockets, and now the sandpaper saga. The jelly beans and murray mints, whatever they were, and Faf's mints to saliva to ball are not taken that seriously, I feel.

It maybe because reverse swing offers a significantly greater advantage to the bowling side but still, I would say if I can keep the shine on the ball longer in a place like England, its just as effective as reverse swing elsewhere.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Without going into the nationalistic crap that this usually boils down to, is it like the umpires and the cricket community itself views attempts to keep the shine on the ball as less of an offence than attempts to rough up the ball to get it to reverse? If you look at the incidents that had the worst stigma associated to them, its usually Athers dirt in pocket, the bottle top of Pak fast bowlers' pockets, and now the sandpaper saga. The jelly beans and murray mints, whatever they were, and Faf's mints to saliva to ball are not taken that seriously, I feel.

It maybe because reverse swing offers a significantly greater advantage to the bowling side but still, I would say if I can keep the shine on the ball longer in a place like England, its just as effective as reverse swing elsewhere.
You are probably right. Reverse swing wasn't in vogue in my time so roughing up the ball wasn't an issue. Helping the shine was another matter. :innocent:

Starfighter

You are probably right. Reverse swing wasn't in vogue in my time so roughing up the ball wasn't an issue. Helping the shine was another matter. :innocent:
Would you agree with the assessment that a non-zero proportion of the Brylcreem on Fred Trueman's hair (and that of many other bowlers) made it onto the ball?