• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the dirty cheats were always dirty cheats before the dirty cheat test

Flem274*

123/5
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...nI14obGB-P8htPzjsF1-NwEpn0yMJDI02w9B7C_SY6c_s

ian gould said:
"The umpiring team had their suspicions that Australia were working a little too aggressively on the condition of the ball, and they had an informal word with the host broadcaster SuperSport asking that if their camera crew saw anything that looked unusual they should let the umpires know," Gould wrote.

The Englishman was the third umpire during the Newlands test and relayed the vision of Australian batsman Cameron Bancroft putting sandpaper down his trousers to the on-field umpires.

Australia's players have long denied that anything untoward took place before the third test, and Cricket Australia's subsequent investigation had been strictly limited to events in Cape Town that ultimately saw David Warner, Steve Smith and Bancroft all banned.

Gould is adamant that a more experienced umpiring team should have been in place from the start of the series.

"In hindsight, ICC's decision not to bring Illy [Richard Illingworth], Nige [Nigel Llong] and myself in until the third test was a mistake," Gould wrote.

"Two of the three lads who did the first two tests were relatively inexperienced. (Kumar) Dharmasena had stood in over 50 Tests but Chris was in only his 19th game and the other umpire, Sundaram Ravi from India, had fewer than 25 tests under his belt and within a year or so had been kicked off the elite panel because he wasn't deemed good enough.
lets face it kumar dharmasena doesn't even know the rules or how to see and they kicked the token indian out pretty quickly. i for one look forward to honestbharanis ideas on this.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now if only the umpires had the power to do something about the on field behaviour of players.

That was an extremely hostile series and with Rabada's ban overturned it was no surprise that the Australian players felt besieged. Du Plessis had gotten off from ball tampering with a slap on the wrist last time the sides met. They (particularly Warner) probably felt that the worst they'd get if they were caught was a slap on the wrist.

I'm not defending warner's behaviour, I'm criticising the double standards and weak punishments given to the South Africans before the Newlands scandal. Its a bit rich the match fixers and Murray mint users are criticising a couple of people who obviously only passed high school due to their cricketing ability for concocting a scheme to do what the other sides had done. Only the aforementioned dullards (Warner and Bancroft) were far more incompetent, probably due to their lack of experience and aforementioned mental issues.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trolling used to mean something

do enjoy the irony of this coming from a Englishman though, a nation whose proudest (or one of) sporting moment of recent decades was built on a foundation of ball tampering

TNT

Banned
Now if only the umpires had the power to do something about the on field behaviour of players.

That was an extremely hostile series and with Rabada's ban overturned it was no surprise that the Australian players felt besieged. Du Plessis had gotten off from ball tampering with a slap on the wrist last time the sides met. They (particularly Warner) probably felt that the worst they'd get if they were caught was a slap on the wrist.

I'm not defending warner's behaviour, I'm criticising the double standards and weak punishments given to the South Africans before the Newlands scandal. Its a bit rich the match fixers and Murray mint users are criticising a couple of people who obviously only passed high school due to their cricketing ability for concocting a scheme to do what the other sides had done. Only the aforementioned dullards (Warner and Bancroft) were far more incompetent, probably due to their lack of experience and aforementioned mental issues.
If you don't like abilities then you don't like Ponting.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's quite funny how whenever cheats are mentioned the countrymen members of the forum pertaining to the affronted country always come back with "your cheats are worse than ours so ya boo nanny".

Unfortunately the much fabled "spirit of cricket" doesn't exist and never has. Sportsman cheat. The great WG himself probably had sandpaper in his undies at some point in his career.

TheJediBrah

It's quite funny how whenever cheats are mentioned the countrymen members of the forum pertaining to the affronted country always come back with "your cheats are worse than ours so ya boo nanny".

Unfortunately the much fabled "spirit of cricket" doesn't exist and never has. Sportsman cheat. The great WG himself probably had sandpaper in his undies at some point in his career.
You clearly fail to comprehend context. I have no issue with slinging mud, but don't mind pointing out hypocrisy either.

Call Warner and Bancroft cheats all you want, but you need to acknowledge that there plenty of others (eg. Faf, Tendulkar, Dravid, Atherton, anyone from Pakistan, any from England 2005-present) equally, or more, deserving of the title. And yet they haven't received a fraction of the attention for it.

And also, your cheats are worse than ours because at least we punished ours nanananananana

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WG famously cheated with his "bit windy today" excuse.

The point of my rant was to say how I could see a dullard like Warner deciding to cheat. Not to excuse the cheating. It was moronic, but I can see his logic.

Honestly though the umpiring and weak ball tampering punishments up to that point are as much to blame as the players themselves. Murray mints or sandpaper, the only difference is the audacity of the medium. Letting Faf and others off with slaps on the wrist was basically encouraging the behaviour.

It's like if you got a $100 fine for waving a loaded pistol around in a crowd and then wonder why someone does the same thing with a machine gun and accidentally shoots someone.

TheJediBrah

More than anything it really says a lot about the mindset of the lesser nations that they are still crying about this though. You don't see any Australians starting threads whinging about other teams' misdemeanors.

Must be some kind of inferiority complex, or they get triggered because we actually uphold the spirit of the game and punish our cheats (excessively) and they don't.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You clearly fail to comprehend context. I have no issue with slinging mud, but don't mind pointing out hypocrisy either.

Call Warner and Bancroft cheats all you want, but you need to acknowledge that there plenty of others (eg. Faf, Tendulkar, Dravid, Atherton, anyone from Pakistan, any from England 2005-present) equally, or more, deserving of the title. And yet they haven't received a fraction of the attention for it.

And also, your cheats are worse than ours because at least we punished ours nanananananana
Any lack of comprehension of context is clearly yours. No where in the post does it say it's the only example of cheating in cricket history or that his own countrymen have never cheated.

Burgey

Flem, I’m so disheartened you’ve not been listening in baiting/ trolling classes in the Platinum Lounge. There’s so much to work with here, and that’s what you come up with?

Am disappoint.

TheJediBrah

Any lack of comprehension of context is clearly yours. No where in the post does it say it's the only example of cheating in cricket history or that his own countrymen have never cheated.
Nah, I didn't say it did.

I was responding more or less directly to TNT's earlier point on the irony that it was coming from an Englishman. I wasn't coming out of nowhere saying "your cheats are worse than ours so ya boo nanny" as you implied.

Read the title lads, do you need a better example of clickbait.
M8 it's not fooling anyone, but doesn't mean we can't still have some fun with it

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What's actually going on here aside from the "new" story being used to troll Cricket Web Forum members is, in a wider context, an attempt to publicize Ian Gould's forthcoming autobiography. Probably needs all the help it can get.