• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Diminutive Fast Bowlers Thread

srbhkshk

International Captain
Bhuvi, Shami , Yadav , Bumrah are all in the 5' 10'' range and are ally fairly nippy (for now :ph34r:)

cnerd123

likes this
Is height really a pre-requisite for bowling speed?

I always figured it's only really useful if you're a hit-the-deck kind of bowler. The types with a high arm action and release, who really run through the crease and thud the ball in. If you're the kind of bowler who is generating pace by coiling up your body and then unwinding with really rapid arm speed, looking to bowl full and swing in, then height doesn't really matter does it? If anything, being taller tends to make you more lumbering and less athletic.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Recently I took the liberty of looking at some biomechanics papers (I love having university access, I'm really going to miss it) on fast bowling, and height is in fact associated with bowling speed, which makes sense as longer arms means more leverage. But other mechanical factors are also associated with bowling speed and at the very highest levels maybe a shorter, better coordinated bowler has a better chance of developing those certain mechanics.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Trueman was 5'10", and Brian Statham about the same. John Snow is listed on Wiki as 5'11", although whether that's true is anyone's guess.

I find it funny that people these days are obsessed with height in fast bowlers (in fairness they always have, but there's more really tall people to choose from these days) Yet two of the best bowlers over this decade, Harris and Steyn, are 181 and 179 cm respectively, with Philander being perhaps a little less than Steyn as well.
It's all about McGrath. He made people think if you were 6'7 you must have this as a reason for taking wickets, because McGrath wasn't lightning fast and he didn't swing it much. So it must have been height and bounce.

The thinking behind this isn't bad but it overlooks the fact that McGrath was a freak

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Recently I took the liberty of looking at some biomechanics papers (I love having university access, I'm really going to miss it) on fast bowling, and height is in fact associated with bowling speed, which makes sense as longer arms means more leverage. But other mechanical factors are also associated with bowling speed and at the very highest levels maybe a shorter, better coordinated bowler has a better chance of developing those certain mechanics.
I think a lot of that natural extra-pace comes from the ****ing of the wrist. Some do it better than others to find an extra yard (like a catapult)

Starfighter

Another one from the Windies. Roy Gilchrist was only 5'8" and, by all accounts, quite the terror.

It's all about McGrath. He made people think if you were 6'7 you must have this as a reason for taking wickets, because McGrath wasn't lightning fast and he didn't swing it much. So it must have been height and bounce.

The thinking behind this isn't bad but it overlooks the fact that McGrath was a freak
Walsh and Ambrose too. I think they in particular are also behind the modern preference for bowling chest on. Also height has been considered a good quality for many years but now people seem to specifically seek out tall people rather than going for a shorter but perhaps more talented bowler.

I think a lot of that natural extra-pace comes from the ****ing of the wrist. Some do it better than others to find an extra yard (like a catapult)
Generally I think it's more about use of the body. One factor, according one paper, associated with pace is the angle through which the shoulders move, and perhaps taller bowlers are less able to perform such a movement. Anecdotally I'd say that bowlers these days move their shoulders through a smaller angle. Certainly no-one stretches out like Trueman does here anymore.

Interestingly one thing I've gleaned is that side-on bowlers run in slower than chest-on bowlers, yet can bowl at the same pace. Again I think this goes back to the use of the body.

mr_mister

I heard from an old bloke I nurse who met Eddie Gilbert that he was 'about my size', which is 5'9

Pretty short for someone who was apparently one of the quickest ever

I pretty much asked this dude about every pre war cricketer. Sydney cricket scene was likely small back then because he was apparently on good terms with them all

Starfighter

Tibby Cotter was 5'8". That's the oldest I can think of for a short bowler who was considered express in their time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ryan Harris was under 6 foot tall

Is height really a pre-requisite for bowling speed?

I always figured it's only really useful if you're a hit-the-deck kind of bowler. The types with a high arm action and release, who really run through the crease and thud the ball in. If you're the kind of bowler who is generating pace by coiling up your body and then unwinding with really rapid arm speed, looking to bowl full and swing in, then height doesn't really matter does it? If anything, being taller tends to make you more lumbering and less athletic.
It's really much less fun to face, because it's that little bit harder to pick the length when it's coming down with that little bit more vertical speed relative to other bowlers.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it’s a different game when the bowler gets a lot of bounce. Different and not as much fun as a batsman.

Who’s that bloke who bowls serious heat for England in T20s? Was out here in he BBL last year too. Is it Mills? He doesn’t look that tall but crazy fast.

Flem274*

123/5
id like to see kemar roach and neil wagner stand next to kane williamson or brendon mccullum because i dont think they'd be much taller

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It feels like cricket's definitely a bit of a short man's game, at least compared to other sports.