• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.20-11

thierry henry

International Coach
The funniest thing is, if that ridiculous comment about Sangakkara wasn't made to annoy me, it means you actually believed it :laugh:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm. Was it the "careers include good stuff and bad stuff" bit that blew your mind?
It didn't blow my mind, it was just irrelevant. The point at issue was whether Botham could be considered an all time great if he'd retired in 1988 as opposed to 1992. In my opinion his great years qualify him as a great irrespective of him going past his sell by date.
Your post added nothing to that so I ignored it.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You're slipping, Ikki. I believe I had Miller higher up than you do :p

Can't believe Murali, Miller ,Gilchrist, McGrath didn't make the top 10.
Between 3 and 10 I could change them around in whatever order to be honest and not be too bothered. Coulda swapped his position with Garry Sobers and would have had the top 4 all Australian ;)...then would have had people giving me crap about that. Can't win! :p

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
It didn't blow my mind, it was just irrelevant. The point at issue was whether Botham could be considered an all time great if he'd retired in 1988 as opposed to 1992. In my opinion his great years qualify him as a great irrespective of him going past his sell by date.
Your post added nothing to that so I ignored it.
iirc you rated Botham above Imran. I agree with everything you said above but am still bemused by you rating Botham higher, given Imran also had a Bothamesque ridiculously good sustained peak, but also had longevity without any associated epic decline.

But tbh I was foolish to bother and am not really interested in discussing Botham v Imran or anything else with you anyway.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
iirc you rated Botham above Imran. I agree with everything you said above but am still bemused by you rating Botham higher, given Imran also had a Bothamesque ridiculously good sustained peak, but also had longevity without any associated epic decline.

But tbh I was foolish to bother and am not really interested in discussing Botham v Imran or anything else with you anyway.
Okay, well just to satisfy your disinterest. I rate Ian Botham as the most gifted all around cricketer in history. There was no particular criteria set for voting so I rated him on natural ability and achievement rather than just worry about the record books. If you want to set the criteria on achievement and making the most of more limited ability (with the bat in case of Botham v Imran) then obviously Imran leaves Botham standing. And I wouldn't have needed Statsguru to tell me that either.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously it's the order of the top ten rather than the make-up of it (everyone is pretty spot on with which ten cricketers are still to come) that is of most interest now - and what I can say is that no one has yet picked the correct order of the final 10. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I had 8 of the 10. Missed DKL (accidentally, although looking at my 25 now still not sure who'd miss out; Waqar was #25 and it's a toss up between the two IMHO) & Murali (very deliberately, 'cos, well, you know).

FTR I rated Hammond #4, Barnes #5, Miller #10, Ambrose #12, Lara #15, McGrath #16, Gilchrist #17 & Botham #20.

Surprised Wally & SF have missed out on a top ten spot. I always rate Wally very highly as a cricketing package because his medium pace was never less than useful and he was reputedly a superb fielder too.

It looks like only one of my twenty five will miss out and that's Everton Weekes who I had as high as #13.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprised Wally & SF have missed out on a top ten spot. I always rate Wally very highly as a cricketing package because his medium pace was never less than useful and he was reputedly a superb fielder too.
I was surprised by how many people didn't vote for Wally at all - more than a third of our voters didn't include him anywhere in their 25.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey Sean, out of the 40 people who selected, how many of us selected pretty much only cricketers from the last couple of decades?

For instance I know Ginger Furball hasn't picked a 'traditional' list which means that a lot of the greats are not going to get 100%.

Basically what I'm asking is, what's the highest percentage anyone on our list could get, because there are players who are only in the 70 per cents who I can't see how really anyone could not pick them!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey Sean, out of the 40 people who selected, how many of us selected pretty much only cricketers from the last couple of decades?

For instance I know Ginger Furball hasn't picked a 'traditional' list which means that a lot of the greats are not going to get 100%.

Basically what I'm asking is, what's the highest percentage anyone on our list could get, because there are players who are only in the 70 per cents who I can't see how really anyone could not pick them!
There were a couple who kept it predominantly to players they'd seen or who meant a lot to them personally. 15 of the guys on our list got more than 70% - of those 15, twelve got more than 80%, five got more than 90%...and one player was on everyone's list.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Have been reading through all these threads. Great stuff Sean:cool:

Looking through whose been named already I've also come to the conclusion that my top 20 all made the top 25. Fred Trueman(21), Graeme Pollock(22) and Sunil Gavaskar(23) just missed out.

Also massively disappointed and surprised that Frank Worrell and Alan Knott missed out on the top 50 list completely. Would you be able to tell me how many people other than me voted for them?