• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Colts Thread

Majin

International Debutant
Wright XI snatch victory from the brink
CW Colts pre-season warmup matches

The Final Colts OD warmup match saw an even contest between bat and ball for both teams, ending up with a tight two run victory for the Wright XI once the dust had settled. With this being the last chance to impress against their teammates, all the Colts players were looking to make a statement of intent for the upcoming season.

The Wright XI won the toss and chose to bat first, hoping to rattle up a big total on what looked to be a good pitch, and got off in fine style as openers Jasotharan and Hopgood put on a fine partnership of 158 for the first wicket. The usually explosive Jasotharan was the unusually sedate partner, scoring his 63 runs off 84 balls with just two 4's, until a mixup in the running and some sharp fielding left him stranded out of his ground and run out. Hopgood batted like the Jasotharan everyone knows, blasting seven 4's and a six in his 84 run contribution to the partnership from just 73 balls, before being removed two runs later courtesy of a Thad Bochat slower ball and a handy catch from Dan Rai.

The dismissal of the openers sparked a collapse, and two bowlers were on potential hat tricks, as Bochat nailed Weber for a first baller the very next delivery. This brought Fitzsimmons to the crease, who would have been very focused on not giving the chance of the hat trick to Bochat, who has seemed to have his number a little bit so far int his warmup series, but he negated the hat-trick safely. Shortly after, Mike Wilson got two in two, having Malthus-Howell and Hancock both caught by Dan Rai again.

Shortly after this, Fitzsimmons and K Swann were involved in another bout of dubious running, and Swann failed to make his ground and was the second runout of the innings. D.M Galbraith came out to join Fitzsimmons and they consolidated, batting through to the end of the innings, with Fitzsimmons notching his half century with a single off the last ball of the innings, and the Wright XI had posted 267 from their 50 overs.

The Towns XI reply started well, with Kyle Wright having more troubles with his runup and not finding his radar. His opposite number, opener Towns, took full advantage of this and put him to the sword, and larruped 25 runs from Wright's first four overs and forced Wright to remove himself from the attack early. Towns continued to steam on at a run a ball, despite being dropped off the bowling of Shah early in his innings, and Bharat wasn't far behind him. Nick Hancock made the breakthrough when the partnership was on 83, with Towns chopping onto his stumps to be out for 38.

Soon after, Hancock removed in form batsman Will Kerr for just 13, and a collapse looked on again, but it was not to be. Mike Wilson joined Pooja Bharat at the crease and the two batted comfortabley, Bharat passing her 50 after taking a quick single from the bowling of Weber.

Kyle Wright came back into attack, and it took a little while to get into sync, his first two overs being a case of getting himself into his rhythm, and Wilson took his 50 off Wright's second over back into the attack. Next over, though, was the turning point in the match, as it entered the last 10 overs of the game. Weber had Wilson leg before for 58, and then everything came together for Kyle Wright. First, he removed Dan Rai first ball with a snorter of a delivery that the batsman performed admirably to even get a bat on. Then he took a fantastic catch off the bowling of Shah to remove the ever dangerous A.S Das from the bowling of Manan Shah. Not long after that, He could only watch on as Weber dropped Bharat off his bowling, but two balls later he made up for it, sending her off stump flying and dismissing her excruciatingly close to her century, gone for 97.

Chris Butler was soon to follow, the ball seaming back and trapping him plumb in front for 24. It got down to the last over with the Towns XI needing 9 runs to win with 3 wickets in hand, and Kyle Wright to bowl the last over. First ball, M.H Monaghan out for 7, caught by Tarick Weber. The next ball, Greg Thomas was dropped by D.M Galbraith, and then pinched a single off the third ball. Off the third ball Banik was dropped, by Weber for no run, and again he pinched a single of the next ball. A frustrated Wright then bowled a Harmison-esque wide that went past everyone and went for four runs, leaving the Towns XI needing just two for victory. Unfortunately it was not to be, Wright finishing up with a perfect delivery right in the blockhole which was too good for Greg Thomas to get away, and it sealed the win for the Wright XI.

Attachments

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Judging from the batting approach of his teammates in these preseason games, it looks like Manan Shah could be in for a baptism by fire this season. I can't see other teams going easy on him. The definite target to unsettle, as he has a definite tendency to emulate Sajid Mahmood.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Im a new player, i just signed up, i've been told i can be offered a contract by your captain. Is he around?

Mr Mxyzptlk

AFAIK Kyle Wright (Colts captain) is absent for a while, but the vice-captain Daniel Towns does the bulk of squad management anyway. And given that he doesn't have much of a life, he should be in contact soon.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
AFAIK Kyle Wright (Colts captain) is absent for a while, but the vice-captain Daniel Towns does the bulk of squad management anyway. And given that he doesn't have much of a life, he should be in contact soon.
I'll take it you don't hold him in high regard?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Judging from the batting approach of his teammates in these preseason games, it looks like Manan Shah could be in for a baptism by fire this season. I can't see other teams going easy on him. The definite target to unsettle, as he has a definite tendency to emulate Sajid Mahmood.
Haha. Looking forward to that.

Resha

School Boy/Girl Captain
[q]On a slightly different note, Bharat has been given the job of backup keeper this season, although it's hoped that Jaso will find enough form to keep her away from the job behind the stumps. Bharat kept for a few games near the end of last season and managed to not embarass herself too much.[/q]

That's scary o___o How bad am I??! (Pleading Jaso to stay in form and not let me screw myself over!)

Great stuff from the Colts; I know I'm not very active but it's always nice to see us doing pretty well =D WE'LL BEAT THE WRIGHTS NEXT TIME.

Awesome match reports Dan-Dan ;___; KEEP DOIN' 'EM. I <3 'em!

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
Ack! Only 23 centimetres! Oh well, at least I still hold the Colts Highest ever score (3rd overall)... At least for now

I'd have to disagree with Kyle, Something pure from me involves 6's and as far as I can remember, none of them cleared! Let's hope the form improves for the real deal for some siliverware!

And I do hope the bowlers can find their A-Game before it all starts!

Simon

i have massive doubts on our OD campaign for this season if im able to get 50* against our bowlers...

Loony BoB

International Captain
Don't worry, mate, you still averaged 27 in the shorter form. ;)

Stats within the spreadsheet... if you don't have Excel, post and someone who has it can let you know what your stats were.

EDIT: Missed out Nick in the bowling area, fixed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
My stats are ****e..... arrgh...The way I'm going, i'd be going out very early...

Needless to say, If we all do our bit, this will be a good season.....