• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The biggest spinner of the cricket ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, the biggest spinner of the ball I've seen was some teen in a bottom grade match about five years ago. His action had a remarkable resemblance to Erapelli Prasanna's, and was a blatant chucker. Bowling a line parallel with the sides of the pitch some balls were pitching about 6" inside the line of the return crease (if that) and spinning past leg stump.

Sure he was bowling quite slowly, probably less than 70 km/h (though it was a decently tricky trajectory, not high-looping dolly stuff), but in terms of sheer sideways distance he's got anyone else I've seen beat. Certainly was interesting to face.
Why didn't you simply hit him back over his head?

Daemon

Swann turned it pretty big for an offie, more than anyone I’ve seen at least (excluding Murali here).

Burgey

Club cricket is so full of blatant chuckers these days tbh. No one will ever call them for it anymore
This is really true these days, and is the reason Murali has been utterly terrible for cricket around the world, despite being utterly harmless when he bowled here. When you can watch a bloke pitch his way to 800 scalps on TV, naturally it'll permeate through to levels where there's no testing available.

Daemon

This is really true these days, and is the reason Murali has been utterly terrible for cricket around the world, despite being utterly harmless when he bowled here. When you can watch a bloke pitch his way to 800 scalps on TV, naturally it'll permeate through to levels where there's no testing available.
I know you’re semi joking but I feel like this trend was more to do with the Ajmals, Bhajjis and Narines of the world. I haven’t seen anyone try and copy Murali’s action in club cricket but there are plenty of dart throwers around with filthy actions.

TheJediBrah

In all seriousness, there is some truth to this. Some of it might be Murali specifically, but also a lot of other bowlers like Daemon mentioned. You have a look at teenage off-spinners coming through even here in Aus and more than half of them will have dodgy actions.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I'm gonna guess you're Australian. You lost in 96, Murali's action was cleared by the ICC, and he's going down as an all time great.

Your country's team has done great in the intervening period. You could just enjoy that instead of holding the butthurt, just a suggestion.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Club cricket is so full of blatant chuckers these days tbh. No one will ever call them for it anymore
This occurs with advent of T20. Chucking occurs not when they are trying to spin it big. A good body rotation could give you a lot of spin. The problem comes when off spinners try to copy the pause of Saqlain, Shoaib, Ajmal, Hafeez and Ashwin. Pausing and re-starting the action causes it to be dodgy, because they lose the balance. Senanayake was not a big spinner of the ball, but he was expert at delayed or premature release with sudden change of arm speed. That made one of the cleanest off break actions degenerate in to blatant chucking. The other reason is to get the arm ball going. It is pretty difficult to get an arm ball for younger kids. Itjust happens for them without control. But by opening up the action and bowling the off break allows more chance of a straighter ball. This invariably leads to chucking later.

Burgey

I'm gonna guess you're Australian. You lost in 96, Murali's action was cleared by the ICC, and he's going down as an all time great.

Your country's team has done great in the intervening period. You could just enjoy that instead of holding the butthurt, just a suggestion.
Imagine not posting for nearly a decade then coming up with dross like this.

The idea anyone would be butt hurt over the WC loss in 96 when your side has backed up to win 4 more since, or over a bloke who averaged 70 with the ball in tests here is novel tstl. And wrong.

Burgey

In all seriousness, there is some truth to this. Some of it might be Murali specifically, but also a lot of other bowlers like Daemon mentioned. You have a look at teenage off-spinners coming through even here in Aus and more than half of them will have dodgy actions.
It's a complete blight on the game. Finger spin is woeful enough when it's bowled legally. More umpires at lower levels need to call people for chucking.

And it's not just finger spinners tbh, though as with every negative in cricket, they are obviously the worst. There was a kid who opened the bowling in Greenies the year below my young bloke who obviously chucked it but was never called. And I say that as a supporter of the club he played for.

TheJediBrah

This occurs with advent of T20. Chucking occurs not when they are trying to spin it big. A good body rotation could give you a lot of spin. The problem comes when off spinners try to copy the pause of Saqlain, Shoaib, Ajmal, Hafeez and Ashwin. Pausing and re-starting the action causes it to be dodgy, because they lose the balance. Senanayake was not a big spinner of the ball, but he was expert at delayed or premature release with sudden change of arm speed. That made one of the cleanest off break actions degenerate in to blatant chucking. The other reason is to get the arm ball going. It is pretty difficult to get an arm ball for younger kids. Itjust happens for them without control. But by opening up the action and bowling the off break allows more chance of a straighter ball. This invariably leads to chucking later.
This is mostly wrong, but a tiny nugget of truth. Chucking is absolutely often a result of trying to spin the ball more, or bowl quicker.

For all the reasons to butthurt about Murali you go with the 96 world cup?

Most of us weren't even alive or are too young to remember it. Or in Burgey's case dementia had well and truly kicked in by '96.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
This is mostly wrong, but a tiny nugget of truth. Chucking is absolutely often a result of trying to spin the ball more, or bowl quicker.
This is mostly right at least in sub continent. Our pitches spin, and spin big, so there is not much need to spin it more. Infact straighter balls are the ones that takes wickets. Quicker balls, yes. Pausing the action is also decelerating and accelerating the arm, just like trying to bowl faster

Status
Not open for further replies.