• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best after the Don? CW ranked 25 contenders, here is the countdown thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair, there's a plethora of batsmen of whom there was a decent argument for that 25th spot, and Younis was one of them. As was the likes Compton and Crowe (with my Kiwi eye-patch on).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Just noticed that Dravid was ranked one spot higher than Steve Waugh. Am I the only one surprised?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Pakistani cricket is very underrated in general on this forum. I don't know why but there have always been Pakistani players who are ridiculously good. An AT Pakistan team would be able to take on any other ATG team of any nation. The only ones that I think could beat them regularly would be Australia and the West Indies.

I mean any side with Imran, Wasim and Waqar in it is to be feared.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Pakistani cricket is very underrated in general on this forum. I don't know why but there have always been Pakistani players who are ridiculously good. An AT Pakistan team would be able to take on any other ATG team of any nation. The only ones that I think could beat them regularly would be Australia and the West Indies.

I mean any side with Imran, Wasim and Waqar in it is to be feared.
Honestly, its very close with some of the names at the backend of this list. Younis, MoYo and even Inzy being on the list wouldn't have phased me too much. As far as all time teams go, they probably rank 5th, behind Australia, WI, SA and England, though we can probably debate that in the ATG thread.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
I think SA are marginally better than them, but I don't think you can say they will "regularly beat Pakistan".
I'd say SA beat them more than England. Its hard to know what you'd get with England given majority of the players in their side will be pre war. You'd never know how the likes of Hobbs, Hammond etc would fare against Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib (if gets picked) or how would Barnes bowl to a modernish Pakistan batting line up.

Himannv

International Coach
I'd say SA beat them more than England. Its hard to know what you'd get with England given majority of the players in their side will be pre war. You'd never know how the likes of Hobbs, Hammond etc would fare against Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib (if gets picked) or how would Barnes bowl to a modernish Pakistan batting line up.
I don't think you can consider pre-war players as a weakness. See how highly they're ranking in this thread for example.

Using the same logic, you could claim that Trumper and Bradman are as susceptible to struggling against Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib as Hobbs and Hammond. If so, the only team that can consistently beat Pakistan is an all time WI XI, and I don't think that's the case.

Slifer

International Captain
Imo after Australia, it's a toss up between WI, Eng, RSA and PAK. None is decidedly better than the other.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i'd say Pak's batting doesn't quite measure up to the best the rest can do, certainly they don't have as deep reserve stocks(whether or not that matters)

their batting is certainly stronger than whatever bowling India can muster up though

then SL a clear last out of the main 8 nations

Himannv

International Coach
Imo after Australia, it's a toss up between WI, Eng, RSA and PAK. None is decidedly better than the other.
West Indies really stand out ahead of the rest. Their pace attack and middle order might actually be better than even Australia. I also think England are better on the whole than SA and Pakistan.

Victor Ian

International Coach
When Bradman dons a helmet against the West Indies, it is game over. When Bradman never has to play on the sticky it is game over. When Bradman gets to play on a road it is game over. West Indies would be the best, but in this draft, Australia would get to pick Bradman.

In fact, getting back to the thread, we could cut Bradman in half and that other half would probably be the best player after the Don.

Gob

International Coach
I don't think you can consider pre-war players as a weakness. See how highly they're ranking in this thread for example.

Using the same logic, you could claim that Trumper and Bradman are as susceptible to struggling against Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib as Hobbs and Hammond. If so, the only team that can consistently beat Pakistan is an all time WI XI, and I don't think that's the case.
Not saying they are a weakness you'd just never know what you'd get as opposed to SA where's you know exactly what you have with Steyn, Donald, Pollock, Richards, Kallis, Amla, DeVilliers etc. Better way to put this if my life depends on it i'd rather chose SA to beak Pakistan than England.

Chrish

International Debutant
It all depends on how highly you rate guys like Barry, Pollock and and Proctor. If you rate them as ATG level players ( which I personally do) then SA Xi is right up there at the very top with WI and Aus Xis.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It all depends on how highly you rate guys like Barry, Pollock and and Proctor. If you rate them as ATG level players ( which I personally do) then SA Xi is right up there at the very top with WI and Aus Xis.
Most do it seems, judging from this thread at least.

Gob

International Coach
While they all had brief test career their exploits in WSC holds them at good stead.