• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian Domestic off season 2014.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Silkers and/or Cowan comes home.....****ing gun!

EDIT: Aah Silk is still in the squad. Still Cowan would be perfect for us.

Spikey

Dermo Abbott at it again

Jesse Hogan ‏@Jesse_Hogan 19s
Great news for NSW: @bushrangers concede defeat in their strong pursuit of highly promising all-rounder Sean Abbott; still @CricketNSWBlues.

what a man

Spikey

The confirmed casualties of the re-contracting period are batsman Michael Hill, all-rounder WIll Sheridan and fast-bowler Jayde Herrick.

a dark day for headbands and diamonds.

SeamUp

International Coach
White gets four-year contract extension | The Examiner

White gets four-year contract extension
By Jesse Hogan

Cameron White is to set to finish his Victorian career rivalling Brad Hodge and Darren Berry for most appearances after his robust form was rewarded with a four-year contract extension.

White has followed James Muirhead (four years) and Aaron Finch (three years) in signing a long-term deal with the Bushrangers.

The Bushrangers endured a miserable 2013-14 Sheffield Shield season but are poised to keep faith with a squad featuring no major changes. They did make a concerted bid to lure all-rounder Sean Abbott, a 22-year-old who bowls with good pace, from NSW but he elected to remain with the Blues.

Apart from the White deal, one of the most interesting aspects of the squad composition, after the first round of contracts, is that it features three spinners: Muirhead, Fawad Ahmed and Jon Holland. The latter, favoured during the Ryobi Cup, was off contract but was nevertheless retained.

The confirmed casualties of the re-contracting period are batsman Michael Hill, all-rounder WIll Sheridan and fast-bowler Jayde Herrick. Neither Sheridan nor Herrick played a shield match this season - both were hampered by injury - while Hill made only 21 runs in his three innings. Uncapped all-rounder Ian Holland has also been released.

Late-season debutant Jake Reed, a 23-year-old fast-bowler from Geelong, has been given a full contract, while rookie contracts have been awarded to swing-bowler Ben Askhenazi, 19, and batsman Seb Gotch, 20.

Gotch's selection came after an ill-fated attempt to pursue an AFL career. Victoria coach Greg Shipperd said he was pleased at the commitment shown by the right-hander since his return to cricket.

"He did it the tough way and came back through the twos, but once he got to Premier Cricket firsts he was a real stand-out player for Melbourne," Shipperd said.

Veteran David Hussey is poised to accept a player-coach deal that would involve him being captain-coach of the Bushrangers' Futures League and 2nd XI teams, as well as a backup player for the Shield team. The 36-year-old was dropped during the season but selectors' intent to move on to younger batsmen was complicated by the team's poor form and the good form of Hussey, who finished the season with 573 runs at an average of 52.09.

The contract for White will run until mid-2018, shortly before his 35th birthday. It came after a season in which he was named Domestic Player of the Year at the Allan Border Medal, won the Ryobi Cup player of the year and returned to Australia's Twenty20 team. Earlier this month he was also chosen to play for Australia A in a home quadrangular series in August-September.

White has played 98 shield matches for Victoria and within two years is likely to trail only Hodge (140) and Berry (129) for appearances. He has he was "very happy" to have sealed a long-term deal to remain at the Bushrangers.

"I was pretty happy with the way I played. From a red-ball point of view it could have been a lot better - I only made one hundred and probably could have made three or four - and left plenty of runs out there," he said.

"I can sit back and say I've come . . . and that over the past two years I've played as well as I've ever played."

While White's personal aim is to make Australia's World Cup squad next year he also desperately hopes to for a return to team success with the Bushrangers.

"It's an unusual position for Victorian cricket - we haven't been down the bottom of the table for a long time - so I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some of the young fellas step up and take the team back to the right end of the table," he said. "It will be interesting to see how we bounce back in the next year or two, or however long it takes."
So we looking at...

CA: Rogers, Finch, Maxwell, Siddle, Pattinson.

state

Quiney
Handscomb
White
D. Hussey (player/coach)
Keath
Wade
Stoinis
Christian
Holland
Ahmed
Muirhead
McKay
Hastings
Boland
Reed
Sidebottom

Rookies
Short
Gotch
Walker
Askhenazi
Cameron

Nothing mentioned with opening batsman Dean Russ who got into the 4-day team.

brockley

International Captain
Although the Renegades had flagged their interest in signing Kevin Pietersen, the Melbourne Stars are leading the race to sign the sacked England star, and Moody seems more likely to focus his attention on returning West Indies allrounder Dwayne Bravo to the Renegades.

Read more: Tom Moody takes Renegades role

brockley

International Captain
@eddiecowan re-signs with @crickettas on a one-year deal, snubbing @cricketnswblues approach: cricketa.us/1iXvkpB

Andre

International Regular
Yeah I couldn't quite get my head around NSW going after Cowan. He's steady but not exactly prolific and doesn't offer a lot in the shorter forms.

Thinking Tas will have a good crack at a Scott Henry or Michael Hill type player now to add some depth.

Are the Vics still big fans of Henry?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dunno RE: Henry.

As I said, heard that Hill will be heading to WA without a contract.

Herrick off to Tassie without a contact, gets on decently with Damian Wright.

Don't know if McKay is a certainty with the Vics.

Andre

International Regular
Interesting move for Herrick. Not sure if Tas would be the place to go for a quick with Hilf, Bird, Butterworth, Rainbird and Faulkner on the books.

Yeah I remember you saying that re: Hill, just wondering if it might have changed post-Klinger announcement.

Top_Cat

Yep starting to make more sense now.

Pretty dumb move from the SACA, only bloke to make steady runs since Blewett/Lehmann and he's not good enough for FC side?

What happened to making blokes earn their stripes?
Yep, boilerplate SACA thinking; better politically to lose developing young blokes to first-grade standard before they stagnate/**** off to Tassie than to lose with a senior pro or two in the side. Either way, it's loser thinking. Cosgrove has two years max.

I bet if you ask about the place, they'd say Klinger owes them for being his post-Vic lifeline. He got 5 good years, should show some some gratitude!

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would have liked Herrick to have joined QLD tbh. I think he still has plenty to offer.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah, Queensland desperately short on seamers.
I can't even tell if you're serious or not but I believe Herrick could easily find his way into QLDs Shield team. He would struggle to make the one dayers as its clearly McDermott and Neser's better format.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was being completely sarcastic ftr.
Did you see our attack last year? We had James '125kph' Hopes opening the attack followed by the woeful Neser. Now, I'm not suggesting Hopes be dropped, but I like the look of 6. Hopes 8. Cutting 9 Herrick 10 Boyce 11. Feldman and leaving out the short format guys in McDermott, Neser and Gannon. Harris to play if fit/Australia aren't playing obviously.