• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

Jager

International Debutant
I have a question in relation to Stanley Jackson.

"Regarding his luck in winning the toss in those 1905 Tests and as captain of M.C.C., for whom he scored 85 in a rain-ruined match at Lord's, Jackson said that at Scarborough, when captain for the seventh time against the Australians: I found Darling stripped to the waist. He said, `Now we'll have a proper tossing, and he who gets on top wins the toss.' So I said to George Hirst, `Georgie, you come and toss this time.' Darling then said, `All right, we'll toss in the old-fashioned way!' Again winning the toss, Jackson scored 123 and 31 not out, rain preventing a definite result."

I can only assume they mean wrestling. I am I right or very, very wrong?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Would think VVS Laxman's a better bat than De Villiers.

Lower order needs a bit more in this side so I'll get Alec Stewart to keep wicket.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I have a question in relation to Stanley Jackson.

"Regarding his luck in winning the toss in those 1905 Tests and as captain of M.C.C., for whom he scored 85 in a rain-ruined match at Lord's, Jackson said that at Scarborough, when captain for the seventh time against the Australians: I found Darling stripped to the waist. He said, `Now we'll have a proper tossing, and he who gets on top wins the toss.' So I said to George Hirst, `Georgie, you come and toss this time.' Darling then said, `All right, we'll toss in the old-fashioned way!' Again winning the toss, Jackson scored 123 and 31 not out, rain preventing a definite result."

I can only assume they mean wrestling. I am I right or very, very wrong?
Dwarf tossing.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Very active in the auction draft, eh? :)
I was out the running for 10 days, I want to make up for it.
In any case I've been pushing for both these players for several rounds now. I'm getting the distinct impression that not many rate Jayawardene as high as I do.

Jager

International Debutant
I was out the running for 10 days, I want to make up for it.
In any case I've been pushing for both these players for several rounds now. I'm getting the distinct impression that not many rate Jayawardene as high as I do.
He's classy for sure, but outside of Sri Lanka he has generally struggled a little. Away average of 40.11. If you take out all the games he has played at the SSC, I think his overall average drops by 7 or 8 runs, which is quite amazing.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm getting the distinct impression that not many rate Jayawardene as high as I do.
Same here. Over 10k runs @ over 50! People keep saying that he isn't good enough in bouncy and swinging conditions. That might be a reason for keeping him out of top 25 batsmen ever. But that can't be a reason to overlook him even at this stage TBH.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He's classy for sure, but outside of Sri Lanka he has generally struggled a little. Away average of 40.11. If you take out all the games he has played at the SSC, I think his overall average drops by 7 or 8 runs, which is quite amazing.
Had that not been the case, he would've been a contender for top 15 batsmen ever. But we're not discussing that now. Are we?

Jager

International Debutant
Had that not been the case, he would've been a contender for top 15 batsmen ever. But we're not discussing that now. Are we?
No, we aren't, but we are discussing the merits of players :happy: someone like a Laxman rates higher in my eyes because he can pull off the impossible.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Laxman vs Jayawardene is close I agree. But saying that AB de Villiers has already achieved more than what Jayawardene has done is just not logical in my eyes. I am a huge de Villiers fan, and I think that by the end of his career, AB might overtake Jayawardene. But till now, their careers aren't even comparable IMO. Probably I place more emphasis on longevity than most other CWers do.

Jager

International Debutant
Laxman vs Jayawardene is close I agree. But saying that AB de Villiers has already achieved more than what Jayawardene has done is just not logical in my eyes. I am a huge de Villiers fan, and I think that by the end of his career, AB might overtake Jayawardene. But till now, their careers aren't even comparable IMO. Probably I place more emphasis on longevity than most other CWers do.
Ah, probably where you and I are different. I am certainly willing to vote for someone like Archie Jackson in the next round instead of Mahela (if it came to a one-on-one) because of his abundant natural talent. That natural talent is why I rate de Villiers so highly, amongst other things. His fielding, unorthodoxy and tempo changes also give him a huge boost for me.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, probably where you and I are different. I am certainly willing to vote for someone like Archie Jackson in the next round instead of Mahela (if it came to a one-on-one) because of his abundant natural talent. That natural talent is why I rate de Villiers so highly, amongst other things. His fielding, unorthodoxy and tempo changes also give him a huge boost for me.
Fair enough. You are consistent in your logic. At least you are not claiming that AB has already achieved more than Mahela Jayawardene as a test batsman. You are picking AB on talent, which is fine.