• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
ordered alphabetically within tier

Bradman

Hobbs Smith Sobers Tendulkar

Gavaskar Hammond Hutton Lara Sutcliffe

Barrington Chappell Kallis Ponting Richards Sangakkara

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Most have 3 or 4 distinct tiers for the batsmen with just one at the highest level.
How would a ranking of the bowlers? I can see each tier getting larger as we go down.
A possible ranking (alphabetical again)

Level 1: Marshall, McGrath, Muralitharan; Warne.

Level 2: Ambrose, Hadlee, O'Reilly, Steyn.

Level 3: Grimmett, Imran Khan, Laker, Lillee, Trueman, Verity, Wasim Akram.

Level 4: Donald, Garner, Holding, Kumble, Lindwall, Roberts, Tayfield. Oops - I've overlooked Ashwin (and Anderson).

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Most have 3 or 4 distinct tiers for the batsmen with just one at the highest level.
How would a ranking of the bowlers? I can see each tier getting larger as we go down.

Level 4: Donald, Garner, Holding, Kumble, Lindwall, Roberts, Tayfield. Oops - I've overlooked Ashwin (and Anderson).
That's a good tier list, but I don't know should Donald, Garner and Holding be in a tier below Grimmett and Laker; and in the same one with Ashwin, Kumble and Anderson.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I would go:

Marshall/McGrath/Hadlee/Barnes

Murali/Warne/Steyn/Ambrose/Wasim/Imran

O'Reilly/Lillee/Trueman/Donald/Holding/Garner/ Lindwall/Davidson

Waqar/Walsh/Cummins/Pollock/Roberts/Ashwin/ Laker/Grimmett/Verity/Anderson/Kumble/Procter

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think its far easier and fairer to just rank the players you have seen in your time of watching cricket. The ATG tiers of the players I have seen

Batsmen - Lara, Sachin, Smith, Viv
Ponting, Sanga, Kallis, Dravid, Root, KW, Virat etc.

Fast Bowlers - Ambrose, McGrath, Steyn, Wasim
Waqar, Anderson, Walsh etc.

Spinners - Murali, Warne
Ashwin, Kumble
Herath, Lyon, Harbhajan etc.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I think its far easier and fairer to just rank the players you have seen in your time of watching cricket. The ATG tiers of the players I have seen

Batsmen - Lara, Sachin, Smith, Viv
Ponting, Sanga, Kallis, Dravid, Root, KW, Virat etc.

Fast Bowlers - Ambrose, McGrath, Steyn, Wasim
Waqar, Anderson, Walsh etc.

Spinners - Murali, Warne
Ashwin, Kumble
Herath, Lyon, Harbhajan etc.
Wtf is Harbi doing in the ATG spinners tier???

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Tiers for bowlers.
McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee
Steyn, Ambrose, Imran, Barnes, Warne, Murali
Lillee, Donald, Wasim, O'Reilly
Garner, Lindwall, Trueman
Holding, Waqar, Davidson, Verity, Grimmett (Cummins?)
Pollock, Tayfield, Walsh, Roberts, Ashwin, Anderson, Laker (Cummins?)

The bottom tier consists of players I might give ATG status on a good day and listed in order of likelihood of me considering them ATG on a given day. The others are just tiered. Current players are trickier to judge than others and I'm in two minds as to whether Cummins has done enough by now to be considered a guaranteed ATG. If he isn't then he'd be at the very top of tier 6 but I'm erring towards the 'he's done enough' brigade. I've not considered 19th century bowlers like Lohmann, Spofforth, Turner and Briggs here. They are a whole other level of difficult to judge their status.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Bradman ( + WG Grace )

Gavaskar, Sobers, Sachin, Lara, Viv, Pollock, Hutton, Hobbs, Headley, Hammond, Smith, Ranjit Singhji, Trumper, B.Richards

G. Chappell, Ponting, Sutcliffe, Sangakkara, Border, Weekes, Worrell, Miandad, Dravid.. Etc

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Sydney Barnes

Akram, Marshall, Hadlee, Lillee, Steyn, Mcgrath, Murali, Warne, Trueman

Donald, Imran, Ambrose, Waqar, Holding, Garner.. Etc

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I would go:

Marshall/McGrath/Hadlee/Barnes

Murali/Warne/Steyn/Ambrose/Wasim/Imran

O'Reilly/Lillee/Trueman/Donald/Holding/Garner/ Lindwall/Davidson

Waqar/Walsh/Cummins/Pollock/Roberts/Ashwin/ Laker/Grimmett/Verity/Anderson/Kumble/Procter
Not trying to bring that cluster**** over here, but you spent the entire day arguing that Ash was an ATG to have him 24th? None of those guys in that tier are ATGs to be honest.

Sorry, not in my humble opinion, I should clarify.

I don't think we rank him far apart, you just have a much wider range for what's ATG.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Ummm

Marshall, McGrath, Hadlee

Steyn, Warne, Muralitharan, Ambrose

Imran, Donald, O'Reilly, Lillee, Garner

Trueman, Wasim, Holding