• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Not trying to bring that cluster**** over here, but you spent the entire day arguing that Ash was an ATG to have him 24th? None of those guys in that tier are ATGs to be honest.

Sorry, not in my humble opinion, I should clarify.

I don't think we rank him far apart, you just have a much wider range for what's ATG.
I mean, yeah. I don't necessarily rank him much higher, but I consider 8 spinners ATG in total in 3 different tiers; and Ash alongside Laker, Grimmett, Verity and Kumble are in that tier with Tayfield and Gibbs. I mainly argued with Subs not because I think Ashwin is an ATG, but because he believed he can't be one.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Most overrated XI (with still great players only):

Virendra Sehwag
Matthew Hayden
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting (c)
Jacques Kallis
M S Dhoni (wk)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
James Anderson

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Most overrated XI (with still great players only):

Virendra Sehwag
Matthew Hayden
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting (c)
Jacques Kallis
M S Dhoni (wk)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
James Anderson

I think Punter is possibly under rated, and I read a bio for Kallis last night. "master batsman, wicket-taker of note and unsurpassed slip fielder.

The guy averaged over 55, spelled his bowlers as required and took vital wickets and caught everything. Don't see how that can be over rated. He batted a little slow and didn't bowl enough to fit into some's idea of an all rounder, but as an overall cricketer, think he's under rated.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I think Punter is possibly under rated, and I read a bio for Kallis last night. "master batsman, wicket taker of note and unsurpassed wicketkeeper.

The guy averaged over 55, spelled his bowlers as required and took vital wickets and caught everything. Don't see how that can be over rated. He batted a little slow and didn't bowl enough to fit into some's idea of an all rounder, but as an overall cricketer, think he's under rated.
On CW, Kallis is underrated. But outside I saw a recent poll on the Greatest All-rounders, and guess who won that with a huge margin over Sir Garifield..... And on to Ponting, no way is he underrated anywhere. He is no Viv Richards, cashed in on the flattest of all eras in the flattest of home pitches. And as for Sachin; he is the running for the spot of best after Don; but he isn't the undisputed best after Don; as perceived by many.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
On CW, Kallis is underrated. But outside I saw a recent poll on the Greatest All-rounders, and guess who won that with a huge margin over Sir Garifield..... And on to Ponting, no way is he underrated anywhere. He is no Viv Richards, cashed in on the flattest of all eras in the flattest of home pitches. And as for Sachin; he is the running for the spot of best after Don; but he isn't the undisputed best after Don; as perceived by many.
I'll concede on the first, agree to disagree on the 2nd, and agree in the 3rd.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Where lol. If you’re seeing a poll with votes like this its most likely people who have only seen 21st century players or were even only born in the 21st century. And are shockingly, most likely casual fans.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Been seeing some posts as to what positions were more impactful, meant more to teams. Guess this is my take of it by tiers.

Tier 1

A fast bowler par excellence, nothing compares to the impact of a great pacer to a team. No game is ever out of reach, that batsmen never comfortable. Can't be a dominant team without one.

A big daddy no. 3/4 . A true ATG who holds the batting together and can take over a game when needed.

A reliable to great opener. Few things are more important than solidity at the top of the innings, the anchor of the team. Even the job Usman has been doing of late has been invaluable.

Tier 2

A reliable keeper Infront of and behind the stumps. That lower order stability is often need to continue momentum or salvage the day. A guy behind the stumps you don't have to worry about.

The wingman to your pacer, that second option that that doesn't release pressure and can bowl in tandem. These guys hunt in pairs.

A superb 2nd slip who also stands at 1st to the spinners. That's where most and most difficult catches go and is as equally invaluable to the spinners. Be it snaring the dying balls or half chances, can change the momentum or outcome of a session or game.

Great spinner, there's been so few of them but can eat up chunks of overs keeping it right in the first innings while holding the potential to be match winners on day 5. Warne, Murali, O'Reilly being leading men were the exception, but what exceptions they were.

A fifth bowler than can be employed without weakening the batting and and can be entrusted not to be carted around the park. Don't need them to win games, but certainly not lose them.

One of your bowlers should be able to hold a bat and not facilitate the lower order collapse. Either batting with a top order guy or holding the tail together while farming the strike. Ideally paired to the skill set of one your two main guys.

Another reliable middle order bat is always a bonus. Can be a calming influence or the counter attacker, what ever best compliments your guy at 3/4.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Where lol. If you’re seeing a poll with votes like this its most likely people who have only seen 21st century players or were even only born in the 21st century. And are shockingly, most likely casual fans.
I am particularly talking about the casual fans here; not stat driven nerds like us or not even cricket journalists, historians and ex-cricketers.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I am particularly talking about the casual fans here; not stat driven nerds like us or not even cricket journalists, historians and ex-cricketers.
mm probably would’ve been better to put that in “most overrated players by casuals” otherwise some people here will think you’re referring to them

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Been seeing some posts as to what positions were more impactful, meant more to teams. Guess this is my take of it by tiers.
I
Tier 1

A fast bowler par excellence, nothing compares to the impact of a great pacer to a team. No game is ever out of reach, that batsmen never comfortable. Can't be a dominant team without one.

A big daddy no. 3/4 . A true ATG who holds the batting together and can take over a game when needed.

A reliable to great opener. Few things are more important than solidity at the top of the innings, the anchor of the team. Even the job Usman has been doing of late has been invaluable.

Tier 2

A reliable keeper Infront of and behind the stumps. That lower order stability is often need to continue momentum or salvage the day. A guy behind the stumps you don't have to worry about.

The wingman to your pacer, that second option that that doesn't release pressure and can bowl in tandem. These guys hunt in pairs.

A superb 2nd slip who also stands at 1st to the spinners. That's where most and most difficult catches go and is as equally invaluable to the spinners. Be it snaring the dying balls or half chances, can change the momentum or outcome of a session or game.

Great spinner, there's been so few of them but can eat up chunks of overs keeping it right in the first innings while holding the potential to be match winners on day 5. Warne, Murali, O'Reilly being leading men were the exception, but what exceptions they were.

A fifth bowler than can be employed without weakening the batting and and can be entrusted not to be carted around the park. Don't need them to win games, but certainly not lose them.

One of your bowlers should be able to hold a bat and not facilitate the lower order collapse. Either batting with a top order guy or holding the tail together while farming the strike. Ideally paired to the skill set of one your two main guys.

Another reliable middle order bat is always a bonus. Can be a calming influence or the counter attacker, what ever best compliments your guy at 3/4.
A second slip having the same impact as a great spinner is an... Interesting position.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
A second slip having the same impact as a great spinner is an... Interesting position.
Ok.

1. I equally want both in my team, absence of either is undesirable.

2. So very few great spinners, a paucity really. Many great teams managed to exist without them, a Warne / Murali / O'Reilly would be in the top tier, but again they haven't been abundant in history.

3. The slip fielder is integral to the success of three of the others mentioned. The fast bowler, same aforementioned spinner and the hunting partner.

4. Same slip fielder is also paired to a batsman in the team.

At the end of the day, no one would agree, but look at Dravid and how he assisted / elevated the spinners he worked with. Just the volume.

At any level below ATG, I want Mark Waugh in my team and that's just as vital as the no. 8 who can bat a bit