• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The most highly regarded Mumbai spinner is Padmakar Shivalkar. Picked up 589 domestic wickets @less than 20. Gavaskar rated him as one of the best spinners he ever faced. Never played a test because of competition from bedi and co.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Was wondering about an ATG side of players who were born in one nation, but played tests for another. Names I can think off the top of my head are Grimmett, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Pietersen, Flower, Ranji, Stokes, Symonds can’t be ****ed putting in more research tonight though.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Was wondering about an ATG side of players who were born in one nation, but played tests for another. Names I can think off the top of my head are Grimmett, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Pietersen, Flower, Ranji, Stokes, Symonds can’t be ****ed putting in more research tonight though.
Would be an interesting exercise. What would you do about Pakistani players born before Pakistan became a nation so they were technically born in India?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Could probably make two XIs, one for those who moved purely for cricketing reasons (KP, Archer, Conway) and those for whom moving had nothing to do with the game at all (Khawaja, Labuschagne, Stokes).

Two entirely different sets of circumstances imo

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Could probably make two XIs, one for those who moved purely for cricketing reasons (KP, Archer, Conway) and those for whom moving had nothing to do with the game at all (Khawaja, Labuschagne, Stokes).

Two entirely different sets of circumstances imo
Yeah, strongly agree.

I see the former as at least partly the fault of the cricket boards in question, but the latter as just the reality of geopolitics and the fact that people, err, move. I also think that if your parents move you when you're 8 or whatever you are definitely primarily a product of the systems put in place by your new country, whereas if you move when you're 16+ it's (at the very least) a mixed influence that leads you to pro cricket.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh I definitely wasn’t trying to push blame on anyone or anything like that, more of an oh if things went differently this could’ve been a thing.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
South African born XI that played for England

Strauss (c)
Trott
Robin Smith
KP
Lamb
D'Oliveria
Greig
Prior (wk)
Tom Curran
Dernbach
Meaker

South African born XI that played for other countries

Wessels (c)
Conway
Labuschagne
A Flower
RTD
Watling (wk)
Wiese
Neser
Frylinck
Wagner
Brandes

Flem274*

123/5
the narrative has probably been adjusted to make it more romantic, but it still beggars belief that conway a) averaged 25 in franchise and b) started out so low in nz, just player coach at vic uni i believe? then wellington saw him and said 'bro you're actually good'.

nzfan did post once that conway has worked hard on his game with wellington, adding shots etc. man he was a good poster on the behind the scenes stuff and just general enthusiasm. it's a shame he seems to have left.

Archer6K

U19 12th Man
the narrative has probably been adjusted to make it more romantic, but it still beggars belief that conway a) averaged 25 in franchise and b) started out so low in nz, just player coach at vic uni i believe? then wellington saw him and said 'bro you're actually good'.

nzfan did post once that conway has worked hard on his game with wellington, adding shots etc. man he was a good poster on the behind the scenes stuff and just general enthusiasm. it's a shame he seems to have left.
Devon Conway was fanatastic at the start of his career in South Africa

AnthonyC

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
On a lighter note, in terms of players playing for other countries, countries and cricket don't always make sense, technically.....
No WI player, plays for his country.
The Australian test team precedes our country by 24 years
Wales is a constituent country, whose players play for another constituent country of the country they are in and the two other constituent countries Scotland and NI (I can never work out what NI is: province, region, country) have their own teams.
British India from 32 to 47, included 3 current test countries.

Just looking at Australia's first 20 test players, shows how much people moved about...
1 Bannerman was born in England
2 Jack Blackburn Vic
3 Bransby Cooper was born in India
4 Tom Garrett NSW
5 Dave Gregory NSW
6 Ned Gregory NSW
7 John Hodges England
8 Tom Horan Ireland
9 Tom Kendall England
10 Bill Midwinter England
11 Nat Thomson NSW
12 Thomas Kelly Ireland