• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lets give this a crack

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Marshall
Muralitharan
McGrath

Gavaskar
Sutcliffe
Ponting
Hammond
Richards
Kallis
Knott+
Hadlee
Warne
Steyn
Ambrose

Boycott
Trumper
Headley
Chappell
Pollock
Miller
Waite+
Akram
Barnes
Trueman
O'Reilly

Simpson
Lawry
Sangakkara
Nourse
Border
Faulkner
Ames+
Lindwall
Garner
Donald
Laker

Smith
Hayden
Dravid
Weekes
Walcott
Botham
Healy+
Davidson
Lillee
Waqar
Grimmett

Morris
Sehwag
Barrington
Hill
Younis
Shakib
Dhoni+
Pollock
Verity
Holding
Roberts

An obvious format for all 6 teams.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i like it. My guess is Barrington has the FC average of low 40's hanging over his head plus he wanted to bat him 3 in a team not compromise him somewhere in the middle order

trundler

Hill over Waugh?
Certainly imo. Forgot about Waugh but I'd still take Hill. Maybe Walcott instead of him though.
i like it. My guess is Barrington has the FC average of low 40's hanging over his head plus he wanted to bat him 3 in a team not compromise him somewhere in the middle order
Yeah, Barrington had to bat #3. He doesn't break ahead of Headley, Sanga or Ponting. Maybe you could swap him with Dravid though. Likewise Miandad and Younis. Wanted Flower in there somewhere too. I know Viv and Hammond aren't batting in their preferred spots either but you can't have them any lower obviously.

For some reason, I'm quite fond of the 4th XI.

trundler

Actually, Walcott should be there in place of Younis and Younis replaces Miandad in the next best team. Think there's enough material for a 7th XI lol

Ponsford
Mitchell
Worrell
Miandad
De Villiers
Waugh
Boucher+
Benaud
Bedser
Adcock
Walsh

After that we'd be into the ATVGs

Last edited:

trundler

Who knew that Kapil Dev would not make it into the 7 best ATG sides as the #8 bowling allrounder...really?
[/QUOTE]
Imran, Hadlee, Akram, Lindwall, Davidson, Pollock or Benaud? Who does he replace?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Assuming you've used the #8 position as best bowling allrounder, I consider Kapil 3rd in that list behind Imran and Hadlee. If you're looking at best bowler who can bat 8, that's a different story

trundler

Actually, the 7th XI is worth getting funky with:

Ponsford
Mitchell
Worrell
Miandad
De Villiers
Flower+
Kapil
Benaud
Bedser
Adcock
Walsh

trundler

Assuming you've used the #8 position as best bowling allrounder, I consider Kapil 3rd in that list behind Imran and Hadlee. If you're looking at best bowler who can bat 8, that's a different story
As an all rounder he's better than all of the blokes I listed but plenty of ATG bowlers who were decent #8s.

bagapath

International Captain
8th XI

Gooch
Greenidge
Inzamam
Harvey
S Waugh *
Ames +
Rhodes
P. Pollock
Tayfield
Hall
Fazal

9th XI

Anwar
M Taylor *
M Clarke
McCabe
Chanderpal
Mankad
Prior +
Croft
Rabada
Anderson
Gupte

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Around 3 years back, when I had nothing much to do, I had sat down for a day and created 10 XIs. Haven't included very very old timers for some reasons I don't remember right now. O'Reilly and Barnes are glaring exclusions of course. These teams can be improved by including some of these names as well as some active players like Kohli and Williamson who have gone up a few levels since then.

ATG XI - 1

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne

ATG XI - 2

Gavaskar
Sutcliffe
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Hammond
Kallis
Knott
Akram
Steyn
Ambrose
Murali

ATG XI - 3

Hayden
Smith
Ponting
Chappell
Border
Miller
Dujon
Ashwin
Lillee
Garner
Mcgrath

ATG XI - 4

Lawry
Simpson
Dravid
Miandad
S Waugh
Botham
Marsh
Pollock
Underwood
Trueman
Donald

ATG XI - 5

Sehwag
Boycott
Y. Khan
S Smith
Hussey
Cairns
Dev
Healy
Benaud
Holding
W.Younis

ATG XI - 6

Cook
Gooch
Barrington
Compton
DeVilliers
Al Hassan
Flower
Lindwall
Gillespie
Roberts
Walsh

ATG XI - 7

Taylor
Geenidge
Amla
Harvey
Ul Haq
Greig
Boucher
Johnson
Kumble
Bedser
Willis

ATG XI - 8

Kirsten
Haynes
Kanhai
Clarke
Pieterson
Flintoff
Prior
Vaas
Statham
Herath
Anderson

ATG XI - 9

Slater
Strauss
Gower
Crowe
Youhana
Dhoni
Streak
Swann
Mcdermott
Morkel
Gibbs

ATG XI - 10

Langer
Boon
Laxman
Jayawardene
M Waugh
Lloyd
Kirmani
Broad
Gough
Thompson
Bedi

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Gillespie doesn't belong there at all
Yeah may be, my rating of Gillespie has gone down a bit since I registered in CW. Also, if I am recreating these teams now, someone like Lindwall may go up a team or two I guess.
Davidson too should have been there around 5th or 6th team.