• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Picking eleven players who have terrified me as an England supporter isn't easy, as there have been far too many over the last 50 years.
Here is an attempt to pick two sides, one from the 1970s and 1980s, the other from the 1990s and beyond.

1970s and 1980s
1. Greenidge
2. Gavaskar
3. Richards
4. Chapplell G.
5. Lloyd
6. Zaheer Abbas
7. Marsh
8. Marshall
9. Qadir
10. Lillee
11. Holding

1990s and 21st century
1. Smith G.
2. Slater
3. Ponting
4. Lara
5. Smith S.
6. Waugh S.
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Wasim
10. Ambrose
11. McGrath

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Picking eleven players who have terrified me as an England supporter isn't easy, as there have been far too many over the last 50 years.
Here is an attempt to pick two sides, one from the 1970s and 1980s, the other from the 1990s and beyond.

1970s and 1980s
1. Greenidge
2. Gavaskar
3. Richards
4. Chapplell G.
5. Lloyd
6. Zaheer Abbas
7. Marsh
8. Marshall
9. Qadir
10. Lillee
11. Holding

1990s and 21st century
1. Smith G.
2. Slater
3. Ponting
4. Lara
5. Smith S.
6. Waugh S.
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Wasim
10. Ambrose
11. McGrath
I would sneak Alderman in ahead of Holding for the 70's/80's. There was always an air of inevitability playing the Windies in that period, but Alderman looked pretty innocuous yet always seemed to take cartloads of wickets. He was overshadowed in 81, but 89 was a recurring nightmare.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I would sneak Alderman in ahead of Holding for the 70's/80's. There was always an air of inevitability playing the Windies in that period, but Alderman looked pretty innocuous yet always seemed to take cartloads of wickets. He was overshadowed in 81, but 89 was a recurring nightmare.
That's a fair call actually. tbh there are probably numerous players who I overlooked, but Alderman has a better case than most.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
For me, the 2 most annoying performances against India have been Kallis in 2010-11 and Katich in 2003-04. Any hopes of two epic series victories in places India have not won previously done and dusted by these two guys.
Nothing beats a bit of Sam Curran, even more annoying because he'll be a footnote in English cricketing history as opposed to someone like Kallis.

smash84

The Tiger King

1970s and 1980s
1. Greenidge
2. Gavaskar
3. Richards
4. Chapplell G.
5. Lloyd
6. Zaheer Abbas
7. Marsh
8. Marshall
9. Qadir
10. Lillee
11. Holding

1990s and 21st century
1. Smith G.
2. Slater
3. Ponting
4. Lara
5. Smith S.
6. Waugh S.
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Wasim
10. Ambrose
11. McGrath
I thought waqar always did far more damage to England than Wasim did.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I thought waqar always did far more damage to England than Wasim did.
Maybe he did. I really wanted to include both of them, but there was no way I was leaving out Ambrose or McGrath. I suppose I liked having Wasim's left arm attack to compliment the other two, but it wasn't all that thought out really.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
TIL that Wasim averaged over 30 against England, and Waqar 27, which isn't that special. What happened?
Without checking?
Wasim played in the 1987 series when he was still very young. I'm pretty sure that he played in England. Can't remember if he played in the return series in Pakistan, but Qadir did all the damage then.
Even in the five match 1992 series, they didn't create carnage in all of the tests. Maybe only in the two that Pakistan won.
Ditto the three match 1996 series. From memory, their leggie did a lot of damage in at least one of the tests, and the middle test was a high scoring draw anyway.
Waqar played in 2000 but I think the dead pitches neutralised him. Maybe he was getting on a bit then. I don't recall Wasim playing then.
In 2001 they were undercooked in the first test and then Saqlain won the 2nd test for them.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Crap debut, decent career XI. Off the top of my head so there's probably better who did worse.

Hutton
Gooch
Bradman
Richards V
Waugh S
Kapil Dev
Marsh
Streak
Warne
Holding
Thomson

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Uber aggressive XI, among players I have seen. Watch out for a lot of strikes outside the park and lost balls.

Sanath Jayasuriya
Virender Sehwag
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
AB Devilliers
Kevin Pietersen
Adam Gilchrist
Ian Botham
Chris Cairns
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram