• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Opposition players who have terrified me the most:

Cook
G Smith
Viv
Lara
Laxman
Flintoff
Kamram Akmal+ (terrifying how bad his keeping was)
Marshall
Steyn
Ambrose
Panessar (I still have nightmares about THAT innings)

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain

Cook
G Smith
Viv
Lara
Laxman
Flintoff
Marshall
Steyn
Ambrose
Harbhajan deserves a shout may be.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Cook
G Smith
Viv
Lara
Laxman
Flintoff
Marshall
Steyn
Ambrose
Can't recall Smith doing much against us

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Can't recall Smith doing much against us
He did not have a great overall avg vs Aus but he did seem to come up with big innings at opportune times.

In many ways it was his attitude and belligerence that changed SA teams attitude towards Australia and beating Aus for SA teams in test cricket.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, his numbers arent great, but he had a number of great performances that stand out. Wasnt he man of the series in one of the series down under ?

Shri

Mr. Glass
the ones who bore me to death

Atapattu
Cook
Dravid
Trott
Flower
Collingwood
Vettori
Dernbach
Kaneria
Siddle
Prasad

Daemon

1. Hayden
2. meh
3. Ponting in ODIs
4. AB de Villiers
5. Kallis
6. Symonds
7. Shoaib Malik
8. Prior
9. Curran :mad:
10. Broad
11. meh

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't mind defensive players but what I hate are players who are defensive and play a million balls for a 100 against the weak sides and then go missing after 20 (75) type knocks against the stronger sides.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag
Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Steve Waugh
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist
Ben Stokes/Kusal Perera (more recent additions)

Andy Flower and Jayawardene always seemed to score runs against SA but it never felt like it mattered, unfortunately.

TheJediBrah

I just don't remember ever being worried about Smith. He made a few tons but they were either on very flat wickets or not really game-changing and he failed more often than not.

don't know who I'd replace him with though, because I don't recall many openers worrying Aus too much in my time. Cook of course gets in based on 2010-11 alone.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I just don't remember ever being worried about Smith. He made a few tons but they were either on very flat wickets or not really game-changing and he failed more often than not.
I think a good example is Smiths ton to chase 414... even with all the stars in that team making runs, it was clearly the tone he set that allowed SA to chase such a big target. Even on a flattish deck.

Flem274*

123/5
i go into any series against australia or tours to south africa expecting nothing and still being disappointed. everyone else i might even predict a series loss but they don't compare to the inevitable total destruction in the above because we can win every other possible series (i don't think we've won series in india outright, but we've pushed them hard often, even meme bad sides like the 2010 one).

OverratedSanity

Man of series in their first series win in Australia in 08/09 (hundred in 400+ chase, broken hand innings), 4th innings ton in the 47 allout game, batted Australia out of the series in 2012 in that partership with Amla at Perth.

TheJediBrah

Man of series in their first series win in Australia in 08/09 (hundred in 400+ chase, broken hand innings), 4th innings ton in the 47 allout game, batted Australia out of the series in 2012 in that partership with Amla at Perth.
I actually remember all of them. Not saying they weren't meaningful just not the kind of thing to strike fear into you or make you worry in the future.

Bit left field but I'd go Michael Vaughan instead. Seemed to save his best for Australia and even though they were thrashed in 02/03 his form was phenomenal. And captained 2005 (came up with murray mints?). Should worry plenty of Australians.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
For me, the 2 most annoying performances against India have been Kallis in 2010-11 and Katich in 2003-04. Any hopes of two epic series victories in places India have not won previously done and dusted by these two guys.