• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

sunilz

International Regular
2017 vs India : Ashwin, jadeja at home are ATG in their conditions and the greatest challenge anyone has faced in the subcontinent since murali's retirement. I think it's probably the best I've ever seen an overseas player bat in India.

Theres also other series like 2014 in SA vs Steyn/Philander/Morkel where he played a couple of outstanding knocks, but that India tour was where he became an undisputed great for me.
Better than Damien Martyn ?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden also went God mode in that 2001 series when Harbhajan had the greatest series a bowler has ever had in test cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
You want me to discuss arguments with people who don't consider Klusener an ODI ATG and have already declared Smith 2nd best after Bradman .
So I really do want to specify here that, having done the tortorous work of actually reading through the last five pages of this thread, that, in fact, no one actually made this argument before you brought it up.

Burgey got a week-long ban for his personal attacks, but I was strongly tempted to hand out an on-the-spot continual disobedience infraction for what must have been eight to ten - yes, I did go and count - posts of this nature. Next time I won't be "tempted", I'll just do it.

To everyone: stay on topic. Address points people actually made. Don't bring in entirely irrelevant players and debates simply because they share the other poster's nationality.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
He’s not an atg odi player. He had a couple of good years incl the 99 WC but that aside he was a handy bowling slogger and no more. A seam up Afridi but not as good a bowler.
He kinda did.

EDIT: Oh wait, you're right. That was after sunilz brought it up. Derp.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burgey must fly really close to the sun to be getting banned every time sunilz shows up.

Slifer

International Captain
I rate Lara very highly. His double ton in 92/93 was as demoralizing as it was brilliant and his ridiculous batting in 1999 was the stuff of legends.

The thing is that Smith has had 3 "Lara '99" series in less than three years. Against India in India and then England home and away. One set of spinning decks, one set of roads and one set of seam friendly pitches. He expressly hasn't pumped up his stats against minnows (His worst averages are against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka) but saves his big scores for the big series'.

I've seen enough to rate him as being better than Lara, Ponting, Tendulkar, Richards, Border, Waugh, Younis Khan or whoever you care to mention.

How many runs do you need to be called better than the rest? Bradman only needed 6996. Smith is almost there.

Yep, he only has half the career runs of Tendulkar but that's a large enough sample size to say he's there. If nothing else he'll have the best peak since Bradman, even if he never makes another run.
Umm no. Steve Smith is on a plane of his own atm but he's not had 3 Lara '99 series. '99 was vs an atg attack and team and Lara was a one man army with 2 once in a lifetime innings. I get the hype around Smith but this is taking it too far. Smith's efforts are more akin to SL '01 where Lara scored 688 in 3 tests vs murali and vaas

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Top 5 most enjoyable Test series' I've witnessed in my lifetime.

India v Australia '01 - The all-conquering Australian side, 16 wins on the trot after having smashed India in the first Test. Looked to be business as usual.. and then THAT partnership. Yes, dreams can come true.

West Indies v Australia '99 - For obvious, princely reasons. Was a shame WI couldn't close it off in the final Test.

Australia v India '18/19 - Never thought I would ever see this happen. Prior to the start of the series I had seen (what i believed at the time) better Indian sides fail in Aus, but then Jasprit Bumrah happened.

Australia v South Africa 08/09 - After having being routinely beaten, it was a breath of fresh air to see this remarkable South African side get one over the Aussies on their home soil. AB's knock in the first Test is the stuff of legends.

Ashes '05 - Yeah, I know it's low on the list but that's cause England & Australia are my two least favourite teams. Captivating series, though.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Complete brain-fade. How could I forget about South Africa v Australia 2018?!! That must surely top the list. Talk about mental disintegration.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So I really do want to specify here that, having done the tortorous work of actually reading through the last five pages of this thread, that, in fact, no one actually made this argument before you brought it up.

Burgey got a week-long ban for his personal attacks, but I was strongly tempted to hand out an on-the-spot continual disobedience infraction for what must have been eight to ten - yes, I did go and count - posts of this nature. Next time I won't be "tempted", I'll just do it.

To everyone: stay on topic. Address points people actually made. Don't bring in entirely irrelevant players and debates simply because they share the other poster's nationality.
I don't understand this. What are you warning everyone on? Not staying on topic and making poor argument is against forum rules and can get you infractions/bans?

EDIT: OK, I do get the last sentence of the post.

OverratedSanity

Yeah not much wrong with non Burgey posters in this thread tbh. A lot have what you can say are terrible cricket opinions and poor debating skills which devolve into meaningless tangents but the childish name calling was only from one bloke.

vcs

Top 5 most enjoyable Test series' I've witnessed in my lifetime.

India v Australia '01 - The all-conquering Australian side, 16 wins on the trot after having smashed India in the first Test. Looked to be business as usual.. and then THAT partnership. Yes, dreams can come true.

West Indies v Australia '99 - For obvious, princely reasons. Was a shame WI couldn't close it off in the final Test.

Australia v India '18/19 - Never thought I would ever see this happen. Prior to the start of the series I had seen (what i believed at the time) better Indian sides fail in Aus, but then Jasprit Bumrah happened.

Australia v South Africa 08/09 - After having being routinely beaten, it was a breath of fresh air to see this remarkable South African side get one over the Aussies on their home soil. AB's knock in the first Test is the stuff of legends.

Ashes '05 - Yeah, I know it's low on the list but that's cause England & Australia are my two least favourite teams. Captivating series, though.
SA vs. Australia in 2014 was also a great series.