• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, bit of a ****-up there from old stephen. (was 15/16 IIRC)
Yeah ok I'll cop that.

That was the season all the Australian top 5 were making runs for fun wasn't it? M Marsh and Nevill notably not scoring. I do remember Johnson retiring after a particularly flat WACA.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Random poster from AUS : Smith is the 2nd best batsman after Bradman
Sunilz : But he can't even win you a test series in Bangladesh.
Random poster from AUS : Bradman would make sure AUS ATXI would comfortably smash WI ATXI and average 100 against WI pace quartet.
Sunilz : So why can't 2nd best after Bradman atleast win you a series in BAN, SL , PAK , IND
Random poster from AUS : Mate you are a multi of cevno , precam etc.
I can relate to this on multiple levels

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair shout. Particularly Bumrah who’s exceptional. Love him. Not sold on Ashwin - Lyon out bowled him with a tomato in India last tour and he’s utterly woeful in non SC conditions.
Yeah, that was a tough one. I probably rate Lyon, Ashwin, Rashid Khan as the best three in the world currently.

OverratedSanity

Rabada having collectively slipped from everyone's minds recently has been strange. I think he's been less amazing than usual recently but he still remains the best in the world for me. Has it all.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm still waiting to hear the great bowlers he has faced and had battles against.

I have no issue saying the young gentleman is already ATG. Heck even top 10. But all the gentleman I've mentioned went through the full ups and downs of an entire career and faced off against both ATGs and ATG attacks. Hayden was never taken fully seriously after how he fared early in his career even though he too is ATG.

Baker Mayfield last year passed for a rookie record 27 touchdowns and won 7 games. Then someone pointed out in the off season, that none of the wind and few of those TD, s came against teams with winning records. It matters who you do it against. And how you do it. It's what Sangakkara, Barrington and Sutcliffe isn't absolute top tier / ten.

Hammond was also in this range of average before the war and would have missed out on the tail of his prime as well. And he destroyed his average by playing after the war when he was past it.
Sobers too started his career as a left arm spinner and took years to get going. Once he did though it was very Smith like.

There was also when Ponting was going all guns and leading an all rampaging team and there was similar arguments of best after Bradman and he was better than SRT and BCL.

Smith this series was superb. Period. And regardless of who it's vs you have to score the runs. And that's enough if we were arguing ATG status, but when we are calling him the 2nd best if not the best ever (which I will if he maintains this form and average throughout his career) we have to ask who it was against.

Again, not putting him down in anyways. He is the best bat in the world today and likely top 10 ever. But the hyperbole is definitely evident.

I personally live him, great bat, great slip and useful part-time bowler. Similar to Hammond and to me the most valuable type of all rounder (Sober, Kallis, Chapell etc but I know that's just me). Just pump the brakes for a bit.

For the record off the top of my head.
Bradman, Tendulkar, Richards, Sobers, Lara, Hutton, Hobbs, Hammond are still the ones definitely above him to me. Not a long list at all.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Random poster from AUS : Smith is the 2nd best batsman after Bradman
Sunilz : But he can't even win you a test series in Bangladesh.
Random poster from AUS : Bradman would make sure AUS ATXI would comfortably smash WI ATXI and average 100 against WI pace quartet.
Sunilz : So why can't 2nd best after Bradman atleast win you a series in BAN, SL , PAK , IND
Random poster from AUS : Mate you are a multi of cevno , precam etc.
You're the uncanny valley of posting. Just enough humanity that we know that you're not a bot but not enough logic that we can definitely make sense of it.

I am probably being a bit harsh since I don't think English is your first language and I can't speak another language, let alone **** post in one, or as in your case, post **** in one.

Last edited:

Burgey

Rabada having collectively slipped from everyone's minds recently has been strange. I think he's been less amazing than usual recently but he still remains the best in the world for me. Has it all.
I think jimmys post was between India and Australian bowlers only, but yeah Rabada has been off the radar of late

OverratedSanity

I'm still waiting to hear the great bowlers he has faced and had battles against.
2017 vs India : Ashwin, jadeja at home are ATG in their conditions and the greatest challenge anyone has faced in the subcontinent since murali's retirement. I think it's probably the best I've ever seen an overseas player bat in India.

Theres also other series like 2014 in SA vs Steyn/Philander/Morkel where he played a couple of outstanding knocks, but that India tour was where he became an undisputed great for me.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Finishing work and coming home and wading through all this **** right after. Quality end to a quality night.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Jadeja is generally preferred to Ashwin lately isn’t he?
I find it quite bizarre to be honest. I remember Jadeja was on fire in all formats a few years ago, and then he seemingly couldn't break into the side for basically the entirety of 2018. And now he looks to be the prime choice over Ashwin.

Sunilz will probably shed some light on the matter.

sunilz

International Regular
It is getting too personal. Some of your arguments though aren't making any sense.
You want me to discuss arguments with people who don't consider Klusener an ODI ATG and have already declared Smith 2nd best after Bradman .

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
2017 vs India : Ashwin, jadeja at home are ATG in their conditions and the greatest challenge anyone has faced in the subcontinent since murali's retirement. I think it's probably the best I've ever seen an overseas player bat in India.

Theres also other series like 2014 in SA vs Steyn/Philander/Morkel where he played a couple of outstanding knocks, but that India tour was where he became an undisputed great for me.
Yeah, the Indian attack is a handful at home. With regard to SA he did score an even 100 and 1 other fifty in that series. He didn't do that much vs them since though. At least not yet.

But please note, not saying the guys isn't amazing.