• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a top 5 bat

Smith 25 tons from 101 innings

Bradman 25 tons from 69 innings

I know this stat isn't ideal as Bradman got an impressive 4 tons from 11 innings batting 6-7, where as Smith got 1 from 17 batting 6-7

But still. Shows he's not too far behind the great man when playing in the top order

stephen

I rate Lara very highly. His double ton in 92/93 was as demoralizing as it was brilliant and his ridiculous batting in 1999 was the stuff of legends.

The thing is that Smith has had 3 "Lara '99" series in less than three years. Against India in India and then England home and away. One set of spinning decks, one set of roads and one set of seam friendly pitches. He expressly hasn't pumped up his stats against minnows (His worst averages are against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka) but saves his big scores for the big series'.

I've seen enough to rate him as being better than Lara, Ponting, Tendulkar, Richards, Border, Waugh, Younis Khan or whoever you care to mention.

How many runs do you need to be called better than the rest? Bradman only needed 6996. Smith is almost there.

Yep, he only has half the career runs of Tendulkar but that's a large enough sample size to say he's there. If nothing else he'll have the best peak since Bradman, even if he never makes another run.

mr_mister

Id say his 4 ton series against India at home is also worthy of high praise

4 series where he's hit 3+ tons now

Sachin had 0. I know that's harsh coz he mainly played 3 test series but yeah

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
eh the 4-ton series at home v India were the flattest, slowest pitches I've ever seen. How it didn't finish 0-0 is a mystery

mr_mister

It's still a 4 ton series though. Pretty special. There's only been twenty in the history of cricket

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I don't particularly like judging players in a historical context until their careers are over, or atleast close to finished when you have a full picture of what they achieved. What's certain for me is that Smith has batted better in these past 5 and a bit years than any batsman I've seen over a comparable stretch in their careers. That's where it should be left at for now. For all we know, he could average 90 over the next few years and end up in an actual debate with Bradman, let alone spuds like Tendulkar and Lara.

OverratedSanity

It's still a 4 ton series though. Pretty special. There's only been twenty in the history of cricket
Would you rate Kohli's effort in that series up there with Lara 99? I certainly wouldn't even though the attack kohli made his runs against Harris and Hazelwood and Johnson instead of Ishant Sharma and Umesh Yadav.

stephen

Would you rate Kohli's effort in that series up there with Lara 99? I certainly wouldn't even though the attack kohli made his runs against Harris and Hazelwood and Johnson instead of Ishant Sharma and Umesh Yadav.
Personally I would not. Those pitches were flat as and there's a reason I didn't bring that up with the other 3 for Smith.

mr_mister

I mean I consider Lara's 99 the best series ever so no, but I consider Kohlis series to be as good as Smith's in the 16/17 ashes at least.

stephen

Smith in 16/17 faced much tougher conditions in Brisbane than anything Kohli faced.

But what I do find interesting is that Smith now has 11 hundreds against England. That's the same number than Tendulkar scored against Australia in his career. Two more will put him equal second (with Gavaskar's 13 hundreds vs the WI). He won't overtake Bradman who scored a whopping 19 hundreds vs England (though if he did that'd be something very special).

That's just phenomenal really. 11 hundreds in 26 matches vs the old enemy. And when they've had a pretty good attack for that entire time (Anderson and Broad are world class).

mr_mister

That's true. But Kohli did it away from home which is always notable. They were roads but they still weren't home conditions

Burgey

How great was Sobers that for a large chunk of his career he was churning out Smith-like numbers and was a frontline bowler with it?

vcs

The pitches were flat but the giant Aussie seamers usually find a way through visiting batsmen on them. They find just enough seam movement and bounce that the visiting quicks generally can't. Kohli batted superbly and had an answer to everything they threw at him.

I don't think they were any flatter than the Ashes series the previous year or the one in 2017-18 for example, going by my untrained eye.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sobers did a lot of donkey work as a containing spinner. In one innings on a mat against Pakistan he bowled 40 odd overs and conceded about 40 runs.

mr_mister

Yeah. Smith faced English bowlers who are world class in home conditions and range from dreadful to mediocre over here

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Adelaide second innings vs India Lyon was ripping it miles. It's amazing how quickly people have forgotten this.
Yeah he got Kohli eventually though. One of Garrys very few poor deliveries that day, but Virat played an even worse shot to it. If he hadn't have done that maybe you might have a point

sunilz

International Regular
Smith in 16/17 faced much tougher conditions in Brisbane than anything Kohli faced.

But what I do find interesting is that Smith now has 11 hundreds against England. That's the same number than Tendulkar scored against Australia in his career. Two more will put him equal second (with Gavaskar's 13 hundreds vs the WI). He won't overtake Bradman who scored a whopping 19 hundreds vs England (though if he did that'd be something very special).

That's just phenomenal really. 11 hundreds in 26 matches vs the old enemy. And when they've had a pretty good attack for that entire time (Anderson and Broad are world class).
Do you also consider Zaheer and Ishant as World class bowlers ?
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

stephen

And yet he managed a century in 4 th innings something Smith hasn't done in his entire career.
All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com
I'm really not sure what your point is?

Is it that he still has areas of his game to work on?

Is it that he tends to make enough runs in the first innings so his side doesn't need him to ton up in the 4th innings?

Is it that he's a first innings bully?

All of these are true btw. Still doesn't stop him from averaging nearly 65.