• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
Non-Asians touring Asia XI

1. Alastair Cook (2252 runs at 60.86, 8 hundreds)
2. Stephen Fleming (1571 runs at 65.45, 3 hundreds)
3. Hashim Amla (1819 runs at 51.97, 7 hundreds)
4. Jacques Kallis (2058 runs at 55.62, 8 hundreds; 27 wickets at 39.44, 1 five-for)
5. Allan Border (1799 runs at 54.51, 6 hundreds)
6. Clive Lloyd (1629 runs at 62.65, 4 hundreds)
7. Andy Flower (1614 runs at 53.80, 5 hundreds)
8. Richie Benaud (288 runs at 19.20; 71 wickets at 19.32, 8 five-fors)
9. Shane Warne (127 wickets at 26.81, 11 five-fors)
10. Dale Steyn (90 wickets at 22.66, 5 five-fors)
11. Courtney Walsh 77 wickets at 20.53, 5 five-fors)
12th man: Daniel Vettori (770 runs at 28.51, 1 hundred; 98 wickets at 28.86, 8 five-fors)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
After reading through SeamUp's posts in the best ever RSA batsman thread I got to thinking, which was South Africa's strongest period?

Which of these teams would be the strongest?

Pre exclusion XI

Eddie Barlow
Bruce Mitchell
Jackie McGlew
Dudley Nourse
Aubrey Faulkner
Trevor Goddard
Jock Cameron +
Hugh Tayfield
Peter Pollock
Peter Heine
Neil Adcock

Herbie Taylor/Eric Rowan/Colin Bland/Denis Lindsay/Bert Vogler/Reggie Schwarz

Wilderness XI

Barry Richards
Jimmy Cook
Kepler Wessels
Graeme Pollock
Peter Kirsten
Clive Rice
Mike Procter
Alan Kourie
Ray Jennings +
Garth LeRoux
Vince van der Bijl

Henry Fotheringham/Ken McEwan/Hylton Ackerman/Lee Irvine/Corrie van Zyl

Post 1991

Graeme Smith
Gary Kirsten
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
Daryl Cullinan
AB de Villiers +
Shaun Pollock
Nicky Boje
Vernon Philander
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

Hershelle Gibbs/Jonty Rhodes/Hansie Cronje/Brian McMillan/Makhaya Ntini/Paul Adams/Morne Morkel

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
But he's the best batsman after Nourse and Mitchell on that list!
Pre exclusion XI

Herbie Taylor
Bruce Mitchell
Jackie McGlew
Dudley Nourse
Aubrey Faulkner
Eddie Barlow
Jock Cameron +
Hugh Tayfield
Peter Pollock
Peter Heine
Neil Adcock

This is probably more like it.

SeamUp

International Coach
After reading through SeamUp's posts in the best ever RSA batsman thread I got to thinking, which was South Africa's strongest period?

Which of these teams would be the strongest?

Pre exclusion XI

Eddie Barlow
Bruce Mitchell
Jackie McGlew
Dudley Nourse
Aubrey Faulkner
Trevor Goddard
Jock Cameron +
Hugh Tayfield
Peter Pollock
Peter Heine
Neil Adcock

Herbie Taylor/Eric Rowan/Colin Bland/Denis Lindsay/Bert Vogler/Reggie Schwarz

Wilderness XI

Barry Richards
Jimmy Cook
Kepler Wessels
Graeme Pollock
Peter Kirsten
Clive Rice
Mike Procter
Alan Kourie
Ray Jennings +
Garth LeRoux
Vince van der Bijl

Henry Fotheringham/Ken McEwan/Hylton Ackerman/Lee Irvine/Corrie van Zyl

Post 1991

Graeme Smith
Gary Kirsten
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
Daryl Cullinan
AB de Villiers +
Shaun Pollock
Nicky Boje
Vernon Philander
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

Hershelle Gibbs/Jonty Rhodes/Hansie Cronje/Brian McMillan/Makhaya Ntini/Paul Adams/Morne Morkel
I know it's hard but out two best keeper/batsman have been John Waite and Denis Lindsay.

I would also consider getting Lee Irvine in to keep in place of Jet Jennings.

I suppose if we adding Wessels then Lamb & Greig would have to come into the equation. Would get McEwan in for Wessels.

Since re-admission team is an interesting one. Some tough decisions.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I know it's hard but out two best keeper/batsman have been John Waite and Denis Lindsay.

I would also consider getting Lee Irvine in to keep in place of Jet Jennings.

I suppose if we adding Wessels then Lamb & Greig would have to come into the equation. Would get McEwan in for Wessels.

Since re-admission team is an interesting one. Some tough decisions.
Indeed, Waite & Lindsay were on my mind & it could go either way out of those two & Cameron. Tough call.

Lee Irvine is definitely a good shout for the keepers' spot. But was he actually a full time 'keeper though?

You're right about Lamby & Greigy. If those guys were included, which they should be, then I'd maybe slot Smith in for Wessels. Tony Greig & Clive Rice would be competing for a spot in the side too.

The re-admission team was a tough one. I was looking at Adams for the spinners' role, but the team looked ridiculously lopsided with him in it so I opted for the all round abilities of Boje. However, the team still has maybe one too many fast bowlers. It'd be a tough call to drop either Pollock, Steyn, Philander or Donald. If I had to, I'd sub in Mark Boucher for Philander.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who wins out of my combined Aust/Eng vs. Windies/SA - Post 1950 Test XIs? ..( QUAL: batting >1000 runs, bowling >20 wickets after 1950) hence ruling out the likes of Bradman, Hobbs, Hammond etc

Hayden
Hutton
Ponting
Chappell 7
Border* 6
Botham 4
Gilchrist+
Warne 5
Lillee 2
Trueman 3
McGrath 1

B Richards
Smith* 7
V Richards 6
Lara
G Pollock
Sobers 5
Walcott+
Marshall 1
Steyn 2
Ambrose 3
Donald 4

Many considerations... Was tossing up between Hayden, Boycott, Amiss & Simpson to open with Hutton, & decided on Hayden for the left-right combo. Considered May, Pietersen & Waugh in the middle order, but couldn't go past Chappell & Border at 4 & 5. Botham bats ahead of Gilchrist to keep to balance the left/right combos.

Could have considered Laker or Underwood as 2nd spinners, but love the pace attack of Lillee, McGrath, Trueman & Botham with the magic of Warne to follow.

Was tempted to pick Keith Miller ahead of Botham and Davidson ahead of Trueman, but already have too many Aussies :p and considered the fact Miller played half his Test cricket prior to 1950.

For my WI/SA combined XI, was considering Greenidge and even Amla as openers, but couldn't go past Barry Richards and Graeme Smith, helped by the left/right combo and Smith's captaincy skills.

Don't think there'll be too many arguments with Viv and Lara at 3 & 4, but I'm sure there'll be many with me selecting G Pollock ahead of Kallis or Headley, especially the former's bowling skills, but couldn't go past Pollock as a personal favourite.

There's a really good argument to include Lance Gibbs, but Sober's can bowl his spin variation. Not much between Garner, Donald & even Holding, but the pace attack of Marshall, Steyn, Ambrose & Donald feels about right.

Any major changes and who wins assuming it's a neutral Test pitch with a bit in it for all?

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
There's also I case for Colin Bland coming in for either Heine or Pollock in the pre-exclusion team I believe. Would probably look a bit more even. Insane amount of all rounders though.