• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Seen:

Taylor *
Gooch
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Wasim
Warne
Marshall
McGrath
I thought I'd try to work out the strongest XI out of players I've actually seen playing live - given that this is from one day of Test cricket and a dozen or Sunday League games, it's not a bad team:

Mike Atherton
Alec Stewart
Graham Thorpe
Sachin Tendulkar
Clive Lloyd
Ian Botham
Jack Russell
Wasim Akram
Anil Kumble
Michael Holding
Courtney Walsh

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hard to go past Wasim and Waqar, but also Marshall and Garner, Lindwall and Miller, Lillee and Thomson, and Trueman and Statham.

AndrewB

A mention for Gregory and McDonald as the first pair renowned for terrorising the opposition with sheer pace.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn and Philander a decent shout out of the recent bowlers. Would not want to face Steyn ever, nor Philander during his insane run at the beginning of his career.

2002 - 15

sehwag 47
hayden 50
sangakara 57
ponting 51
de villiers 51
gilchrist 47
s.pollock 32
m.johnson 22
swann 22
steyn 14
murali 12
Hayden
Sehwag
Sangakkara
Ponting
Younis
Kallis
Gilchrist+
Johnson
Steyn
Murali
Ntini

Longer tail but imo Ntini is probably the 3rd best pacer from this period, would have him over Anderson/Broad. Pollock probably adds more balance but I thought if I wasn't gonna consider McGrath or Warne with 44 and 48 matches, I shouldn't consider him with 46. Younis has been an absolute beast. From 2002, 8292 runs @ 52.63 with 28 centuries, batting at 3/4.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Which was the strongest test fast bowling pair? Thommo and Lillee for me.
Marshall and Holding, though I belive Garner played with him linger and was more consistent. But for sheer carnage and intensity, Marshall and Holding.

the big bambino

International Captain
It would be some combo of the WI production line. Take your pick. Outside of them I'm liking a few of our pairings but mostly Lindwall and Miller.

bagapath

International Captain
Imran and Wasim weren't too bad either. Won in England in 87, beat West Indies at home and away. Won against pretty much everyone.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Pakistan only drew with the Windies in the '80s? Which was still a pretty enviable feat.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
My ATG team of pairs based on no logic...at all:

1. Hobbs
2. Sutcliffe
3. Barry Richards
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Bradman
6. Stan McCabe
7. Wasim
8. Waqar
9. Andy Roberts
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. SF Barnes

bagapath

International Captain
Thought Pakistan only drew with the Windies in the '80s? Which was still a pretty enviable feat.
I meant they won three tests against the windies in three different series and didn't lose the rubbers
beat england in england and won a series in india
big deal i must say

AndrewB

I meant they won three tests against the windies in three different series and didn't lose the rubbers
beat england in england and won a series in india
big deal i must say
"Beat England in England" in the late 80s isn't a big deal; India and NZ did so in 1986, Pakistan in 1987, WI in 1988 and Aus 1989, all without losing a Test. Since Pakistan only won 1-0 and nearly lost one of the draws, they were actually one of the least convincing winners.

But they were the only side to win a Test or draw a rubber in the Windies in the 80s.

Last edited: