• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Second half of career wasn't really that impressive to me. Even if the numbers were pretty good on the surface, they were 1) in an easier era, and 2) he just didn't have that dominance, which yeah I admit is a bit of eye test, but he was something very different in the first half of his career

I mean, I don't like being "that guy", because I think he is an absolutely ATG batsman. But consider, there's no shortage of people on this forum, who are "that guy" when it comes to the accomplishments and longevity of James Anderson ( the latter of which is harder to achieve for a seamer as compared to a batsman ), it just seems strange that Tendulkar is off limits. Great career, but depending on which version of him I pick, I might have a dozen guys who I'd want before him ( quite a few from his own team ). Plus, by that second half of his career his circumstance transformed from one in which he was the main lynchpin of a mediocre lineup into one in which he was in a rather star-studded one, arguably the best or co best in the world, which for me should have made it easier for him.
What is this drivel?

shortpitched713

International Captain
What is this drivel?
Ehh, I saw a lot more of later half Tendulkar than early half career Tendulkar. Apparently the earlier version made quite a big impression on many people. But that version I saw more wasn't ever my first pick of who I'd have bat for my life, especially depending on conditions.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Since these are often used as markers for ATG’s, an XI with batsmen averaging >50 and bowlers >25. (25.42 for spinners)

Smith
Boycott
Harvey
McCabe
Inzamam
Worrell*
Boucher+
Benaud
Roberts
Willis
Anderson

Keeper - I tried to use keepers that didn’t average 40 or more and weren’t acknowledged as a “great” keeper in their time as my criteria. Boucher seems a perfect fit tbh. I’m sure there are a number of other batsmen who could be considered, only other pacer I really thought about was Ahktar, and other spin options I considered were Tayfield and Underwood.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Just randomly noticed DG Bradman and SG Barnes had the same middle name - we ever tried coming up with middle name/middle inital XI’s? Can’t remember. G would be a strong one though surely… Pollock and Grace also come to mind.

bagapath

International Captain
Since these are often used as markers for ATG’s, an XI with batsmen averaging >50 and bowlers >25. (25.42 for spinners)

Smith
Boycott
Harvey
McCabe
Inzamam
Worrell*
Boucher+
Benaud
Roberts
Willis
Anderson

Keeper - I tried to use keepers that didn’t average 40 or more and weren’t acknowledged as a “great” keeper in their time as my criteria. Boucher seems a perfect fit tbh. I’m sure there are a number of other atGcsmen who could be considered, only other pacer I really thought about was Ahktar, and other spin options I considered were Tayfield and Underwood.
I will go for a Post WW2 team with
batting avg <45
bowling avg > 27
a keeper with a batting avg < 30
an all rounder with a batting avg <30 and bowling avg > 30

Gordon Greenidge
Hanif Mohammad
Zaheer Abbas
David Gower
Ross Taylor
Chris Woakes
Rod Marsh (wk)
Richie Benaud (C)
Mitch Johnson
Neil Wagner
Jeff Thomson

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
A decade and probably no consensus on literally anything
What would you disagree with here?

Tests

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Wasim
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

ODI

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Richards
Kohli
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Tests

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Wasim
Warne
Marshall
McGrath
Bowlers have never been set in stone, only 3-4 batsmen are and the keeper.

There will never be a consenus on an ATG test XI.

Idc about ODIs but I presume its similarish.

Discounting Bradman and Gilly (basically the only two hard locks) you can make a team that will stack up pretty evenly.

Sutcliffe
Gavaskar
Bradman*
Lara
Hammond
Kallis
Gilchrist+
Imran
Hadlee
Steyn
Murali

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

Tests

Hutton
Hobbs
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Wasim
Warne
Marshall
McGrath

ODI

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Richards
Kohli
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath
For Tests, Imran and Hadlee are missing and better overall than other options.

Also Lara is better than Richards especially at no 5 and so is Gavaslar probably better than Hutton.

For ODI's Pollock is a glaring omission plus Zaheer Abbas is better than Ponting.

bagapath

International Captain
Possible to make another ATG Xi without those names

G Smith
Hayden
Sangakara
S Smith
Border *
Botham
Watling +
Ambrose
Lillee
Trueman
O'Reilly

There are scores of such names who can be combined in so many ways and evoke lively conversations
There is no reason to lock and close this thread

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant

Tests - 5 changes

Hutton
Hobbs ( Gavaskar )
Bradman
Tendulkar
Richards ( Lara )
Sobers
Gilchrist