• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 2nd Greatest Cricketer From A Country

smash84

The Tiger King
While Pak did have its fair share of good batsmen, that is really not true that Imran had some guys who all averagede 40+ batting above him.. The fact that he batted below blokes who averaged in the mid 30s says its own story...
Yes but I don't think anybody is arguing that he was a great batsman. Even towards the end of his career he was a very solid batsman but not really one that would turn matches on their head.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes but I don't think anybody is arguing that he was a great batsman. Even towards the end of his career he was a very solid batsman but not really one that would turn matches on their head.
My point was about the averages mate.. Just because he was averaging 40+ doesn't mean he was better than the batsmen above him, even if they were averaging less than him. As I said, there is a reason he batted lower than those guys....

salman85

International Debutant
It probably had more to do with just his ability,or lack of,with the bat.He did bat up the order towards the end of his career,ableit rarely,but batting down the order probably had more to do with him batting better with the tailenders thus utilizing him better.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Pakistan : Imran
India : Tendulkar
Australia : Bradman
Srilanka : Murali
West Indies : Sobers
NewZealand : Hadlee
England : Botham?Hutton?Gooch? (Not a clear winner here IMO.This can be debated too)
SouthAfrica : Kallis?Donald?Pollock Sr.?Pollock Jr.? (This too,is very debatable)
I would agree with you on Australia, Pakistan, SL, WI and NZ for the greatest player. My list for the greatest two cricketers of each nation is:

New Zealand: R.J.Hadlee, Martin Crowe

Australia: Bradman, Keith Miller (regrettably, a plethora of insanely talented folks missed out)

Sri Lanka: Murali, Aravinda De Silva

India: Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev (Tendulkar, Gupte and the two Vijays - Merchant and Hazare - are right up there too)

Pakistan: Imran Khan, Javed Miandad (Hanif, Wasim, Fazal and Zaheer ran Javed real close there)

South Africa: G. Pollock, Mike Proctor (apologies to B. Richards, Kallis, Tayfield and Donald)

Zimbabwe: Andy Flower, Heath Streak

England: The good Doctor, Jack Hobbs (Sutcliffe, Hutton, Barnes and Trueman are unlucky)

West Indies: Gary Sobers, George Headley (I can name 8-10 possible candidates who missed by a whisker)

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I would agree with you on Australia, Pakistan, SL, WI and NZ for the greatest player. My list for the greatest two cricketers of each nation is:

New Zealand: R.J.Hadlee, Martin Crowe

Australia: Bradman, Keith Miller (regrettably, a plethora of insanely talented folks missed out)

Sri Lanka: Murali, Aravinda De Silva

India: Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev (Tendulkar, Gupte and the two Vijays - Merchant and Hazare - are right up there too)

Pakistan: Imran Khan, Javed Miandad (Hanif, Wasim, Fazal and Zaheer ran Javed real close there)

South Africa: G. Pollock, Mike Proctor (apologies to B. Richards, Kallis, Tayfield and Donald)

Zimbabwe: Andy Flower, Heath Streak

England: The good Doctor, Jack Hobbs (Sutcliffe, Hutton, Barnes and Trueman are unlucky)

West Indies: Gary Sobers, George Headley (I can name 8-10 possible candidates who missed by a whisker)
inb4controversy

(welcome to cw by the way)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Don't see anything particularly wrong with that list tbh, as long as it's test centric. Kapil definitely the best by a small margin, for mine and both Tendulkar and Gavaskar both ATG batsmen, will personally pick Tendulkar as second best Indian cricketer though.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
inb4controversy

(welcome to cw by the way)
Lol! Thanks. I see what you mean.

I do expect some opposition from staunch Tendulkar fans. For purely Test cricket, I can justify my choices though. Good to note that Teja and you haven't taken me to task for this! :laugh:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I have difficult rating the 1970-92 South Africans as better than those who had full Test careers. It seems like there's a lot of unkown value there thanks to them playing so few Tests. It's not like it was for the pre-war cricketers whose FC records were more indicative of their talent - they spend the majority of their careers playing at a lower standard.

We know that many cricketers can be great at one level but fail to make the jump (Hick, Ramps), or have brilliant starts to Test careers but tail off (Hussey, Kambli) so I tend to hold back on judging the apartheid-era cricketers against those who had long and successful Test careers like Kallis and Shaun Pollock.

surely hammond deserves a mention in the unlucky ones for england!
Good point.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have difficult rating the 1970-92 South Africans as better than those who had full Test careers. It seems like there's a lot of unkown value there thanks to them playing so few Tests. It's not like it was for the pre-war cricketers whose FC records were more indicative of their talent - they spend the majority of their careers playing at a lower standard.

We know that many cricketers can be great at one level but fail to make the jump (Hick, Ramps), or have brilliant starts to Test careers but tail off (Hussey, Kambli) so I tend to hold back on judging the apartheid-era cricketers against those who had long and successful Test careers like Kallis and Shaun Pollock.

Good point.
I take your point but I think Pollock and Richards did great in WSC/County Cricket, didn't they?

EDIT : Seems only Richards did.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Certainly! That was an unintentional omission. Dexter, May and Lohmann would be fair shouts too.
At first I thought that I had posted this since I usually recognize posters with their avatar.....only to realize that it was that other great all rounder from the 1980s, Richard Hadlee, in your avatar.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Because some people don't understand how batting averages work, and what they mean, and therefore think that not outs somehow "inflate" them.
It's a difficult one to judge isn't it, Z? Not Outs DO Inflate averages but one has to see the context of the not out too.. Sachin himself, for instance, has provided instances of both sides.. AT times he has remained not out simply because he didn't get the support needed from the other end and yet, in SA this year in the first test, there was the instance of him playing obviously for the red ink than trying to hit out to get as many runs as he can... It is a tough thing to call either way unless you have seen the games in question...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a difficult one to judge isn't it, Z? Not Outs DO Inflate averages but one has to see the context of the not out too.. Sachin himself, for instance, has provided instances of both sides.. AT times he has remained not out simply because he didn't get the support needed from the other end and yet, in SA this year in the first test, there was the instance of him playing obviously for the red ink than trying to hit out to get as many runs as he can... It is a tough thing to call either way unless you have seen the games in question...
No he wasn't.. the tailenders weren't good enough to support him. :dry: He played exactly the same way as he did in Sydney 2008 where the tail wagged heavily and Harbhajan got a lot of runs. You can criticize his strategy, but to say he played specifically for the not out is just wrong.