• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test XI of the year 2005

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Top_Cat said:
I personally think that Vaughan, like a lot of people, under-rate Ricky's bowling. Unfortunately, he paid the price because although that spell wasn't hugely threatening, the ball which got Vaughan was of excellent line and hit the seam. Had Ricky not been such a good batsman, I'm certain he'd bowl a few more overs than he does. He actually used to be a fair bit quicker too.
I agree with that. The Ashes was the first time I'd seen Punter bowl & I was surprised how decent he looked. He put it in the right area & got a bit of away movment too. IIRC he had a couple of deliveries nudging 80mph too, which is a v decent lick for a part-timer.

Thought he looked a lot better bet as a fill-in bowler than Katich (who I think may have a 5-wicket haul in tests unless I imagined that), who bowled a lot of tripe but still managed to get MPV with a rank full-toss! Although, to be fair, I'd guess left-arm over the wrist bowling has got to be the hardest style to master.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Katich has impressed me from time to time (and on the right track he gets a lot of turn) - but, not unreasonably I guess for a part time wristspinner, he isn't very accurate.

Ponting's spell seems to have been better than it looked. It not only got Vaughan out, but Freddie said that when he went out to face Ponting, it was some of the hardest bowling he had to face all summer, because it was nipping about both ways.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BoyBrumby said:
I agree with that. The Ashes was the first time I'd seen Punter bowl & I was surprised how decent he looked. He put it in the right area & got a bit of away movment too. IIRC he had a couple of deliveries nudging 80mph too, which is a v decent lick for a part-timer.

Thought he looked a lot better bet as a fill-in bowler than Katich (who I think may have a 5-wicket haul in tests unless I imagined that), who bowled a lot of tripe but still managed to get MPV with a rank full-toss! Although, to be fair, I'd guess left-arm over the wrist bowling has got to be the hardest style to master.
Katich's full toss is his special delivery. It got Sehwag out on 195 going for his double with a six. It seems to work well :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jono said:
Katich's full toss is his special delivery. It got Sehwag out on 195 going for his double with a six. It seems to work well :p
Dur. Every spinner's most lethal deliveries are the half tracker and full toss.

Imagine Murali and Warne's record if they decided to include them in their repertoire. (sp)

billie424

Cricket Spectator
superkingdave said:
Either you're missing a player or you are gonna play with 10 and are planning on making Smith bowl 10 overs in the ODi's? 8-)
sorry .. .. shoaib akhtar ... is the 11th player and Vaas in the ODIs

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
SJS said:
Here are the stats for the best performers in tests - circa 2005. Take your pick.

Spinners (min 18 wkts-top 6 by average) reduced from 20 to 18 to accomodate last two :)
1. Murali - 47 wkts at 17.2
2. MacGill - 25 at 19.4
3. Warne - 99 at 21.9
4. Harbhajan - 30 at 27.7
5. Vettori - 19 at 28.8....also 373 runs at 74.6 !
6. Afridi - 18 at 29.3

\[/B]
what happened to Kumble?

didnt he take 20 wickets in the SL series alone?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
foe said:
what happened to Kumble?

didnt he take 20 wickets in the SL series alone?
This is not a list of ALL the spin bowlers who took 18 or more wickets in 2005. It is of the top six listed by bowling average in 2005. :)

If we extended the list beyond the top six Kumble would get in since he got his 41 at 29.34 and would have followed Afridi who averaged 29.33 :p

Marginal but it was just a question of how many one was to include in the list. Most people would have chosen just one (and some maybe two) in the final 11 so I thought six was enough.

Actually, but for the fact that some may want to put in Afridi as an all rounder, I may have had just five. :)

But you could add Kumble i suppose.

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
LOL....29.33 to 29.34 is rather close :p

but the fact that Kumble took 41 compared to Afridi's 19 should have seen him in..

DJellett

International Debutant
blockbuster said:
900 runs @ 75

Moreover, the idea (which seems to be prevalent in some quarters) that Kallis, during his career, averages massive amounts against the lesser sides (Bangladesh and Zimbabwe) and a pittance against the major Test playing nations, is not grounded in fact.
One thing about Kallis is that he takes so long to score his runs. In the modern age of test cricket, this can be more detremental (sp.) than helpful to a team. another player who is moving into that mode of very defensive play is Matthew Hayden. It is fair to say he was batting primarily for himself in The Oval Ashes Test, possibly with reason (as he had a career to save). However since then he has continued batting slowly, to the point that it is draining to watch! Batsmen like these, wether or not it is true, appear to bat for themselves rather than the better good of the team. Granted, 99% of the human population (and 58% of the worm population) of the world would pick Kallis over someone with less ability but a faster run scorer, like maybe Justin Kemp. But when there is so many options on the table for something like a World XI, the consideration must be made that his batting could harm the team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tom Halsey said:
Ponting's spell seems to have been better than it looked. It not only got Vaughan out, but Freddie said that when he went out to face Ponting, it was some of the hardest bowling he had to face all summer, because it was nipping about both ways.
He inside edged the first ball he saw from Ponting, IIRC.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not everyone sees scoring quickly as the only entertaining point of cricket. If you ask me for example I'd take Dravid's 233 vs. Aus in Adelaide over Symond's 72 off 54 balls as better viewing, and I was at the MCG myself to see that knock.

And whilst people think the game is heading that way, that's due some what to the fact that many Australian viewers have had the luxury of seeing Australia's great batting line-up belt mediocre bowline line-ups in the past 4-5 years. When you look at the attacks that have come down here in the past, well they're no McGrath/Warne/Gillespie etc. and not even a Freddy/Harmison/Jones/Hoggard either. In modern cricket we still have match-saving knocks like this http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2005-06/RSA_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/RSA_AUS_T1_16-20DEC2005.html by Rudolph and this by Kallis http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/RSA_IN_WI/SCORECARDS/RSA_WI_T1_31MAR-04APR2005.html.

They're what test cricket is about. Just because those knocks aren't coming from Australians doesn't mean the game is heading away from them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Neil Pickup said:
Even if he was, there would be no way Hayden would ever make a team of 2005.

Some things run deeper than figures.
i dont think he would make any team over sehwag tbh.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
Not everyone sees scoring quickly as the only entertaining point of cricket. If you ask me for example I'd take Dravid's 233 vs. Aus in Adelaide over Symond's 72 off 54 balls as better viewing, and I was at the MCG myself to see that knock.
i quite enjoyed symonds scoring 74 actually, for the simple reason that australia will now persist with him for another 5 test matches or so. if things go well we might see brad hodge and symonds in the ashes. bracken would be even better.

ryan563

Cricket Spectator
mine would be

1.Mathew Hayden
2.Salman Butt(good against england)
3.Richy Ponting(c)
4.Brian Lara
5.Andrew Flintoff
6.Kumar Sangakkara(w)
7.Brett Lee
8.Shane Warne
9.Murali
10.Simon Jones
11.Glenn McGrath
(12th man=Inzaman Ul-Haq)

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
ryan563 said:
mine would be

1.Mathew Hayden
2.Salman Butt(good against england)
3.Richy Ponting(c)
4.Brian Lara
5.Andrew Flintoff
6.Kumar Sangakkara(w)
7.Brett Lee
8.Shane Warne
9.Murali
10.Simon Jones
11.Glenn McGrath
(12th man=Inzaman Ul-Haq)
mate you are definately a batter short there. You dont need that many bowlers especially with Freddie there. Take out Jones. He only went well against us and didnt do much else. Didnt even play in Pakistan..Put Inzi in there.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hodgo7 said:
mate you are definately a batter short there. You dont need that many bowlers especially with Freddie there. Take out Jones. He only went well against us and didnt do much else. Didnt even play in Pakistan..Put Inzi in there.
I agree and maybe Sehwag or Tresco ahead of Butt.