• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test series whose result hurt you most

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Nothing compares to that 2010/11 series in South Africa. Literally gifted Kallis and SA a draw from dominant series winning position. Most disappointing of all.

2. Losing 2-1 at home to England in 2011/12

3. Losing 4-0 in England post 2011 WC.

Couple of others that stand out are - McCullum 300 and Sam Curran late order rescues from scores like 88/7 , 86/6

Overall, some of the worst moments have come against England in the last decade. A series win in England this year would go some way to remedy that.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
There are 3 objectives for India this year

1. WTC Final
2. Away Series vs England
3. Away Series vs South Africa

At least 2 in 3 need to be achieved!

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
There are 3 objectives for India this year

1. WTC Final
2. Away Series vs England
3. Away Series vs South Africa

At least 2 in 3 need to be achieved!
In order of priority how would you rank the three above?

I'd go with this-
1. Series win in England
2. Victory in WTC
3 Series win in South Africa

Because series win in England would hold much more weight than winning one highly significant match (wtc final) to be honest.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
For India fans, every series lost for the next few years is going to sting. On paper at least we should be able to compete everywhere and win more often than not.
I totally agree with this, every team has that golden phase, this can be India's if we handle the players well. Things like the WC selection debacle shouldn't repeat.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
2004 in India vs Australia. Politics resulted in a greentop and India lost at Nagpur. Could have won. That series loss allowed that Australia team to be truly complete - with finally win away in the 'final frontier'.

Prior to 2004, the last time Australia had won a series in India was 1970. And they haven't won since 2004. So that series definitely sticks out. Of course, that team was amazing and thoroughly 'deserved' it (whatever that term means in sports), but it still stings cause India could have denied them that and it would have been an asterisk against that team. Whereas WI did in fact win in India (I believe twice) during the 70s and 80s.

Another one that stings is the home loss to England in 2012.

Niall

International Coach
This should be extremely doable.

Yeah usual caveats right regarding injuries etc, but South Africa are pretty average atm and its arguable that India are the favs for that series.

New Zealand must be fuming they have no tour planned atm.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Surprising lack of moaning about umpiring in this thread. Poor umpiring generally riles people up pretty badly.

Cheating umpires has to be the single worst way to drop a series, other than fixing, which never comes out until much later. I'd go with Daryll Hair, 94. Was young, and it was one of the first series I watched, which made the result so much worse.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
1989 Ashes probably the worst. Just one huge mess, from start to finish, starting with the captaincy fiasco and eventually using 29 players in the series. Aus were capable, but 0-4 was an absolute nonsense. For me, it was more disappointing that the whitewashes in 2006/07 and 2013/14. At least those were in Australia, even if I tend to agree with the assessment that we weren't really up for it when it got tricky in the latter series, however good Johnson was.

Thinking about it, a few of those late 1980s series are down with the most disappointing I've experienced. 1988's 0-4 at home to WI was far more avoidable that the blackwash four years earlier, and the 0-2 loss at home to India in 1986 was piss poor.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprising lack of moaning about umpiring in this thread. Poor umpiring generally riles people up pretty badly.

Cheating umpires has to be the single worst way to drop a series, other than fixing, which never comes out until much later. I'd go with Daryll Hair, 94. Was young, and it was one of the first series I watched, which made the result so much worse.
You missed the outcry about Ian Robinson’s **** umpiring in Perth 2000-01. I can still hear that nick off Gillespie, and I don’t mean that in any way but literally. It was booming

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The tour of India and SL in 1992/93, when we lost all four tests. That may not look so shocking now, but we'd won two of our previous four series in India and lost the others 0-1 and 1-2, so hammerings weren't expected. The touring team was widely criticised before the series, and, once there, we thought it a good idea to pick only one spinner for the first test, when the hosts thought that three of them was a better idea. Keith Fletcher managed the side and famously wrote off the Indian spinners because they hadn't been effective in South Africa. Tufnell's quote probably summed up the attitude. 'I've done the elephants and I've done the poverty; it's time to go home.'

sunilz

International Regular
2004 Aus tour of India. Aus won of course but if not for rain and a doctored final pitch (Michael Clarke 6 for 9 lol) it could have been 4-0
You really believe Aus would have won 2nd test .
I mean Ind needed 209 runs in 90 overs with 10 wkts remaining ?
Aus was saved by rain in 2004 just like in 1985/86 2nd test and 2018/19 4th test

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You really believe Aus would have won 2nd test .
I mean Ind needed 209 runs in 90 overs with 10 wkts remaining ?
Aus was saved by rain in 2004 just like in 1985/86 2nd test and 2018/19 4th test
And the only pitch which was "doctored" was the reason they won their 2nd test. :laugh: Even Bangalore had more bounce than usual, that series.