• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar becomes ODI top scorer!!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This just feels right - just logged in on the way back from an away match and my first reaction was that it was the right man to achieve the feat - so many have looked like getting to the line, but stumbled, of late, that you wondered when it would happen - but I guess this is another one of those moments when real life proves itself far superior to any scripts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, haven't checked the scorecards since coming home from sk00l, came on CW first. Had to read a couple of posts before I realised what'd happened.

As has been said several times, rarely in cricket history can you find something so fitting happening.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would have been awesome if he'd had a chuck and taken the 1 wicket he needs for 200 international wickets.

AaronK

State Regular
I have always enjoyed watching this man bat.. a truely legend.. and deserving of every record in cricket.. he is like wine.. he gets better with time..

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Well ... It's a record no doubt and Tendulkar is perhaps the only one who deserved it before anyone else in modern day cricket.
I feel this was coming one way or the other. With the introduction of T20 and power play rules, the game has become A LOT faster, scoring super fast runs with flurries of boundaries has now become the most essential requirement of the batting innings.

As someone pointed out .. Saeed's record was in india against india in an era where we did not have this batting and bowling powerplay bullsh!t and the game required actual patience, technique and confidence rather than tullay maari. For me, Saeed's innings still remains one the best ever played in an ODI. There is no doubt in it.
But yeah, we all know, Tendulkar is a class player, not a tullay maar... so, well deserved !!
Woot? So 5 overs of field restrictions is what make Anwar's effort better?

How about having a runner for three fourths of innings?

Jack88

Cricket Spectator
Eh, you can't in logical really compare him to Bradmen, it's two different eras, both are GOATs, you don't rank people from eras apart by THAT much. I mean can you compare Jesse Owens to Usain Bolt if you simply using their PB's?

But yeah, Sachin, brilliant, the absolute master, no doubt, keep it coming.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
What's to celebrate? Records tumbling so frequently proves that it's no longer an achievement.

I wish I could remember the stat off the top of my head about Test triples. Sobers' highest Test score stood for 30 or so years then Lara broke it in 94, Hayden broke Lara's and then Lara regained it within 10 years - says it all. Triples are about as hard to score as doubles used to be, pitches are just so flat that batting and bowling averages are artificially inflated by 5-10 runs and there can be no fair comparison. Is Sachin that great or is it the nature of pitches that give a very good but not great batsman the chance to shine? For such a "great", it is surprising Sachin has only 248no as his Test best with only four 200s. Gooch isn't considered a great, but scored only one less 200/300 than Sachin's four in nearly 50 less Tests - playing on flatter wickets helping immensely, when Gooch played the West Indies were difficult to beg runs off and there were no soft bowling attacks. Maybe the sad truth is also that the days of truly great bowlers are long since numbered.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What's to celebrate? Records tumbling so frequently proves that it's no longer an achievement.

I wish I could remember the stat off the top of my head about Test triples. Sobers' highest Test score stood for 30 or so years then Lara broke it in 94, Hayden broke Lara's and then Lara regained it within 10 years - says it all. Triples are about as hard to score as doubles used to be, pitches are just so flat that batting and bowling averages are artificially inflated by 5-10 runs and there can be no fair comparison. Is Sachin that great or is it the nature of pitches that give a very good but not great batsman the chance to shine? For such a "great", it is surprising Sachin has only 248no as his Test best with only four 200s. Gooch isn't considered a great, but scored only one less 200/300 than Sachin's four in nearly 50 less Tests - playing on flatter wickets helping immensely, when Gooch played the West Indies were difficult to beg runs off and there were no soft bowling attacks. Maybe the sad truth is also that the days of truly great bowlers are long since numbered.

Only Lara (twice), Hayden and Jayawardene have gone past Sobers' effort in 50 years though.

Triples are a pretty useless indicator of batting greatness. Yes, they're phenominal exhibitions of concentration, but I'd wager that most triples that have been scored have either been on complete roads, against **** bowling attacks (or both).

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned

Nicely done.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Only Lara (twice), Hayden and Jayawardene have gone past Sobers' effort in 50 years though.

Triples are a pretty useless indicator of batting greatness. Yes, they're phenominal exhibitions of concentration, but I'd wager that most triples that have been scored have either been on complete roads, against **** bowling attacks (or both).
Haha, should mention these aren't my views, rather C&P'd from PC. Many parts of it are very amusing to me though not as amusing to some here I imagine. And the irony of the above poster getting a PC related joke is not lost on me...

Sir Alex

Banned
A few quotes on the achievement;

'Glad I'm not bowling to him'

A selection of tributes on Sachin Tendulkar's double-century
Cricinfo staff

February 24, 2010

"I think if you ask Saeed Anwar, he would say he's happy that Tendulkar broke his record. The reason for his success is that he has a great respect for the game."
Aamer Sohail, Saeed Anwar's good friend and opening partner, pays a fitting tribute to the new record-holder

"He should aim for more. Maybe a Test innings of 450 or an ODI knock of 250. And then he himself wants to win next year's World Cup. There is a little boy in Tendulkar who wants to keep playing. That spirit keeps him going. It's absolutely incredible how he keeps going."
Keeping with the Mumbai ways, Sunil Gavaskar is not yet sated

"Come on Sachin my friend get your 200. World record to please! You deserve it… Nervous for my good friend Sachin everything crossed for you mate… Glad I'm not bowling to him today ha ha ha."
Tendulkar's old pal Shane Warne tweets his excitement as he nears the double-century

"It shows his mental and physical toughness. He's a player who does not throw away his wicket once he's set. He always places a huge price on his wicket."
Dilip Vengsarkar salutes the attributes that such a knock needs

"Sachin - the greatest ever player ever - without any doubt… I salute Sachin... World's greatest sportsman. We can see him only rise. (He is an) inspiration to us all. He is the best."
IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi waxes beyond eloquent, on his twitter page

"What an innings it was. He had come close to achieving it twice. I always felt that Tendulkar and Sanath Jayasuriya are capable of doing that."
Kumar Sangakkara has not forgotten Tendulkar's recent dazzling form

"He is my favourite player. I had said that one day he would go on to break all batting records and now you see him scoring runs and runs."
Javed Miandad kinda saw it coming

"Whatever record is seen to be impossible to achieve, he makes it possible. That's all I can say. It seems as he's getting older, he is becoming more and more mature. No wonder Sir Donald Bradman saw himself in the way Sachin bats."
King of parsimony Bapu Nadkarni is not parsimonious with his praise

Cruxdude

International Debutant
His stay in the 190s was one of the most tense moments I have sat through. I almost had a feeling he would be stranded on 199 because of Dhoni hogging the strike.

Maximus0723

State Regular
His stay in the 190s was one of the most tense moments I have sat through. I almost had a feeling he would be stranded on 199 because of Dhoni hogging the strike.
Nah, I knew he would get through. This is different Sachin.

If you read his post game interview on cricinfo--he said there were times he made mistakes--he is probably referring to 07 and his mental state at that time.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Nah, I knew he would get through. This is different Sachin.

If you read his post game interview on cricinfo--he said there were times he made mistakes--he is probably referring to 07 and his mental state at that time.
I am still wondering what mistakes he is talking about. Might be the getting out in 90s but I think it is too trivial to be mentioned by him on that stage.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The best part about this innings was it was chanceless.

I don't think such a big innings has been played at this pace before being chanceless.Hell ,let alone dropped catches or stumping,there was not even a remotely close shout against him in this innings.

Only can Salute the man.

Sir Alex

Banned

I don't think such a big innings has been played at this pace before being chanceless.Hell ,let alone dropped catches or stumping,there was not even a remotely close shout against him in this innings.

Only can Salute the man.
True... As I said before the only chance he gave was a close run out chance when Amla almost got him with a good pick up and throw from deep square leg.

Did anyone watch the post match presentation? Kallis looked really unsporting in his comments, was talking more about the flat track and the small (a myth, it is as big as any ground in India 65 mts wide and 70 mts straight) ground when asked about Tendulkar's effort.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Only can Salute the man.
Can't wait to watch the full inning brother. The shots he was manufacturing for fours were out of this world. For every shot Tendulkar had 10 years ago, he has 3 now.